The Searle Collection

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
The last garden visited on the South Florida Palm Society Tour this past Saturday was Jeff Searle's. After the crowd cleared out Jeff and I sauntered about looking at some crotons. It was the first time ever that it was just Jeff and myself looking without distractions. Unfortunately the camera's SD card got maxed out too soon. :(

This one is an unknown that Rob got cuttins of several years ago ...

Attachments

• Unk Rob 1J.JPG
    Unk Rob 1J.JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Unk Rob 2J.JPG
    Unk Rob 2J.JPG
    418 KB · Views: 100
  • Unk Rob 3J.JPG
    Unk Rob 3J.JPG
    460 KB · Views: 99
Victor Limone - very nice. The photo does not reveal how beautiful this croton really is. It catches you eye from quite a distance.

Attachments

• Victor Limone 1J.JPG
    Victor Limone 1J.JPG
    361.3 KB · Views: 126
An unknown which came from the Richard Krukonis collection that Jeff got as a cutting over 12 years ago. :cool:

Attachments

• Unk Richard Krukonis Col 1J.JPG
    Unk Richard Krukonis Col 1J.JPG
    393.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Unk Richard Krukonis Col 2J.JPG
    Unk Richard Krukonis Col 2J.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 118
Here is Jeff's Prince of Orange. This is one great looking croton ;)

Attachments

• Prince of Orange 1J.JPG
    Prince of Orange 1J.JPG
    434 KB · Views: 95
  • Prince of Orange 2J.JPG
    Prince of Orange 2J.JPG
    389.2 KB · Views: 107
The oh so lovely Polychrome. :) Jeff relayed to me how excited he was about getting this croton many years ago. It was very rare and through the efforts of croton lovers and the Croton Society - this cultivar has been introduced into many a garden.

I believe this may be one of Dr. Frank Brown's favorites also. ;)

Attachments

• Polychrome 1J.JPG
    Polychrome 1J.JPG
    409.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Polychrome 2J.JPG
    Polychrome 2J.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Polychrome 3J.JPG
    Polychrome 3J.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 112
This croton I was not impressed with when I saw it last. Some TLC, another growing season plus all the rain and viola - what a beauty! :cool:

I gotta suck up to Jeff and get me a Limelight in the Moose Land :eek:

Attachments

• Limelight 1J.JPG
    Limelight 1J.JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Limelight 2J.JPG
    Limelight 2J.JPG
    421.5 KB · Views: 104
Jeff has not had this croton very long. Its an original hybrid of Chris Mayhew (pocomo), he named Doris. It looks very happy and is responding well to the growing conditions it has been provided. :D

Attachments

• Doris 1J.JPG
    Doris 1J.JPG
    377.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Doris 2J.JPG
    Doris 2J.JPG
    397.2 KB · Views: 111
Jeff got this unidentified beauty as a cutting many years ago from Cleo Millare. He has it tagged as Cleo. Can't say if I recall any croton looking like this one. :cool:

Attachments

• Cleo 1J.JPG
    Cleo 1J.JPG
    380 KB · Views: 98
Victor Limone - very nice. The photo does not reveal how beautiful this croton really is. It catches you eye from quite a distance.

I am confused. Is this really Victor Limone? Christian Papers states type M leaf for V.Lemoine. Checked the Wiki photos and Ricks looks like the Christian Papers description. Jeffs plant looks to be semi-oak leaf. :confused: Obvious the two are not the same in the Wiki. Is there a V. Limone and a V. Lemoine? :confused:

Scott,

I'm confused as much as anybody, because there's two plants floating around that are totally different with the same names. And I have both. My first plant(not in the picture) has reds in it and came from halgrim's house of which B. Alonzo put the name on it. This other plant with pinks in it, I was told by Ray is the true Victor Limoine. ????

Scott,

I'm confused as much as anybody, because there's two plants floating around that are totally different with the same names. And I have both. My first plant(not in the picture) has reds in it and came from halgrim's house of which B. Alonzo put the name on it. This other plant with pinks in it, I was told by Ray is the true Victor Limoine. ????

Thanks Jeff now that makes it clear :rolleyes:, but now understand. I am going to start using Phil's "fog" saying more. Here is another question on the name. Is it named after V. Lemoine the French flower breeder who created many of todays Lilac varieties?
Victor_Lemoine.jpg