"The Croton Lady from Bundaberg"

Jerry Shilling

03/12/10
When I was 18, I had an opportunity to go to Australia as a foreign exchange student for a year. The year was 1969 & the family I spent the most time with owned and operated a pub 40 miles west of Sydney, New South Wales. There were 4 boys and I made the fifth. We lived upstairs...I have very fond memories of the McGrath's Hill Pub and the mischief we got into was epic.

Anyway, we have stayed in contact over the years. Brenda and I have been back several times and the boys have been to the USA. The oldest, Peter, visited us in California recently and I proceeded to talk crotons with him. In the not too distant future, I would like to spend some time in Queensland & the Northern Territory on a croton expedition. So I asked Peter to research for croton collectors or collections.

He found the above titled article in an Australian gardening magazine. One of the other boys lives in Queensland, so I'm hoping they will stir up some additional leads.

So enjoy the article & if you're ever in the vicinity of Bundaberg, pay Marge a visit...I know I will.

Just type the title above into your search engine. It would be pretty cool if we could get Marge to join us on the forum.

The Saunderi pictured in the article looks very much like the sport that occurs on William Jennings Bryan. Does anyone know if they're the same?

Very interesting article and great fotos...I'll be downloading this (Crotons & the Croton Lady of Bundaberg) for future reference in my files. Thanks again Jerry ! :)

The Saunderi pictured in the article looks very much like the sport that occurs on William Jennings Bryan. Does anyone know if they're the same?

Marie,

I just stuck some cuttings of Blotched WJB in the mist house earlier this week. Chris was out here earlier and I showed them to him, he was pretty excited. But they don't look at all like this plant, Saunderi. My blotched WJB actually look very close to the beautiful form of Colonel Lindbergh.

Jerry,
Thanks for the interesting article. I'm trying to picture the look on her face if you were to show up with your Ipad and showed all the beautiful crotons grown here in Florida, especially the lower Keys. All I can say is, have a stretcher ready...