I've Been Busy, Planted 6 More

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Been putting off planting some of my crotons for awhile. Besides the other 4 mentioned in the other thread, I don't recall planting any since Dec. 2012. I actually feeling real good as each one goes into the ground. For each one that goes in the ground, its one less I gotta take care of in a container. Much easier, especially the root bound ones were hard to keep hydrated. I have some more that are root bound, so I gotta continue ...

Ron,

It seems sometimes that your planting crotons every week! I think it's all the pictures you post here. I'm kind of shocked you didn't show us which ones. But I'm sure you will. Just wondering, how many now in the mooseland?

Pictures or it didn't happen.:p

1. A huge 3 gallon rootbound out of color waiting to see what its gonna do. It was so root bound that it often had to be soaked in a bucket. And kept in the shade to keep it hydrated longer. I got it in this condition. Also the tag was lost. Possible Mons Florin , Davis #7 or Harvest Moon.
2. A rootbound 3 gallon Veitchii I got from Lamar via the auction at Flamingo Gardens
3. A 7 gallon MacArthurii. Got this one at the March Searle sale. It was so massive in its three gallon container, I could not keep it from blowing over in the most gentle of winds. So I stuck it 7 gallon container.
4. A three gallon Helen Edge
5. A three gallon Doris. Was given this as a little rooted cutting several years ago from Chris (pocomo).
6. A very happy 7 gallon Coppinger's Hybrid.

I don't have pictures so it didn't really happen :rolleyes:

Keep digging them holes Ron and show us the photos. This is my personal last weekend to plant Crotons in the ground. My cut off date is Labor Day to give the plants a chance to establish before Winter. I do not like the Winter forecasts I have seen, but what will be will be.

The Veitchii is out of color from being in heavy shade, not worth posting a photo.

The first photo is when it was a 3 gallon MacArthurii taken on St. Patrick's Day. It was so large that it kept falling over so I stepped it up into a 7. Was more interested in it establishing roots in its new soil, so it was left in a shady area. The second photo is of a new leaf flush after planted, photo taken on Labor Day.

Attachments

• MacArthurii.JPG
    MacArthurii.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 66
  • MacArthurii A.JPG
    MacArthurii A.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 55
Jose looked at the Mons Florin, Harvest Moon, Davis #7 plant. He is pretty certain that it is a Davis #7. It does not look to good right now so I'll post a photo when it looks better.

Here is the Doris I planted.

Attachments

• Doris 1.JPG
    Doris 1.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 82
Here are some shots of the recently planted Coppinger's Hybrid.

Got this from Marie Nock, who got it from Tim Anderson. ;)

Attachments

• Coppinger's Hybrid 1.JPG
    Coppinger's Hybrid 1.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Coppinger's Hybrid 2.JPG
    Coppinger's Hybrid 2.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Coppinger's Hybrid 3.JPG
    Coppinger's Hybrid 3.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 66
1. A huge 3 gallon rootbound out of color waiting to see what its gonna do. It was so root bound that it often had to be soaked in a bucket. And kept in the shade to keep it hydrated longer. I got it in this condition. Also the tag was lost. Possible Mons Florin , Davis #7 or Harvest Moon.
2. A rootbound 3 gallon Veitchii I got from Lamar via the auction at Flamingo Gardens
3. A 7 gallon MacArthurii. Got this one at the March Searle sale. It was so massive in its three gallon container, I could not keep it from blowing over in the most gentle of winds. So I stuck it 7 gallon container.
4. A three gallon Helen Edge
5. A three gallon Doris. Was given this as a little rooted cutting several years ago from Chris (pocomo).
6. A very happy 7 gallon Coppinger's Hybrid.

I don't have pictures so it didn't really happen :rolleyes:

Doris.JPG

Here is the Doris a year later.