Ishi

kwtimo

22/05/10
Here is my newly acquired Ishi. A nice air layer, I can't wait to see it grow out. The photos aren't all that. The plant is beautiful. I don't recall seeing this in the WIKI yet. I got a bunch of great looking, interesting, healthy cultivars this weekend. My primary maintenance account is going to turn into a croton wonderland. ishi 001.jpgishi 003.jpgishi 006.jpgishi 007.jpgishi 002.jpg

Wow ,very nice,I had not seen this one before

Here is my newly acquired Ishi. A nice air layer, I can't wait to see it grow out. The photos aren't all that. The plant is beautiful. I don't recall seeing this in the WIKI yet. I got a bunch of great looking, interesting, healthy cultivars this weekend. My primary maintenance account is going to turn into a croton wonderland.View attachment 20974View attachment 20975View attachment 20976View attachment 20977View attachment 20978

Lucky you! Ishi has been on my "want list" for a long time. Want to trade sometime in the future?

:cool: Another super looking Croton growing in the Keys. Thanks for the photo.

Funny you mention this Ray,two different people who have been around quite a while have said they are the same variety??They sure do look similar??

Ishi has a striking resemblance to Princess Eugenia. Could someone please tell me a little about the history behind the name?

Here's a pic of Princess Eugenia that came from Cookie Graf sometime last year at an east coast meeting. It had few roots and went in the pots as seen and into a plastic bag for the winter. It's been growing slowly through this summer. Looks similar to but not as nice as the Ishi pics. But it is a croton; and the two, whatever they are, are under different cultural conditions which could account for the differences.

fog anyone...

Attachments

• DSCN4564.jpg
    DSCN4564.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 69
Ron,
I have all of the calendars and found it in 2009, May. It looks just like what Tim just bought. Rob was just over the house and before it got dark, we went out and compared the pictures to my Princess Eugenia. The P.E. looks pretty identical to these Ishi pictures. If their two different plants, somebody sure needs to show me the differences.

I ended up digging up my calendars also. Definitely May 2009 like you said. The calendar photo looks like a dead ringer to Tims plant.

My Princess Eugenia is not looking her best right now. So to make coloring comparisons would be difficult. I do know that it never colored up as nice as the plant in the May 2009 photo or Tim's plant. Then I noticed the calendar Ishi has more pointed leaves than PE. My theory is blown when you look closely at the "behind" leaves, they are more rounded. You can also observe short middle lobbed leaves, elongated, a few leaves are also much wider than the others. Basically the Ishi photo in the Calendar does not appear to have a consistent leaf shape.

I'm just confused. I would love a future clone from Tim's plant. I feel its distinct but its based on my feelings. Its hard to compare photos. Looking at mature plants is the only way to go ... onward through the fog :confused:

Ron,
I have all of the calendars and found it in 2009, May. It looks just like what Tim just bought. Rob was just over the house and before it got dark, we went out and compared the pictures to my Princess Eugenia. The P.E. looks pretty identical to these Ishi pictures. If their two different plants, somebody sure needs to show me the differences.

Jeff, on your garden tour a couple of weeks ago, you, Stan and I were looking at a plant thinking it may be Ishi. Did you compare the calendar picture to that one?

Jeff, on your garden tour a couple of weeks ago, you, Stan and I were looking at a plant thinking it may be Ishi. Did you compare the calendar picture to that one?

Yes. Rob came by the house last night and we started talking about this croton again. He reminded me that about 3 years ago, I got a "supposedly" Ishi from Bob in a trade. After a while, I assumed it was just P. E. and planted as such. I have 3 different plants in the yard now and so I don't know which was which when planted.

I just took some shots of Princess Eugenia to have in the same thread for comparison purposes. My PE doesn't exhibit as much white as Tim's Ishi or the Ishi in the 2009 calendar.

DSC_0113.jpgDSC_0114.jpgDSC_0112.jpgDSC_0111.jpg

The older leaves on Tim's plant (where the white has subsided) look very much like Marie's plant. I think it's the same plant.

If they do turn out to be different, is it really worth collecting 2 plants that are 97% identical just because the plant has another name?

Jose came over today and brought his Ishi to compare to Princess Eugenia. They look the same.

Ray, since you were on the Board, do you know how plants were selected and vetted to go in the Croton Society calendars? I had always put lot of faith in the names and photos. Now, not so much.

Just talked to Bob Alonzo to invite him to our Nov 16 meeting. Asked him about Ishi! He said it is not Princess Eugenia but would try to do a little research on its origin.

Here's a pic of Princess Eugenia that came from Cookie Graf sometime last year at an east coast meeting. It had few roots and went in the pots as seen and into a plastic bag for the winter. It's been growing slowly through this summer. Looks similar to but not as nice as the Ishi pics. But it is a croton; and the two, whatever they are, are under different cultural conditions which could account for the differences.

fog anyone...

Phil, I've known for some time that Ishi and Princess Eugenia were one and the same, having had compared them side by side. I didn't tell Cookie that! However, I did tell her that her Princess Eugenia wasn't a Princess Eugenia. So, don't be surprised when you see how yours develops. I don't believe you will be disappointed! I love mine but it is not Princess Eugenia.

This should in no way reflect negatively on Carol Graff. No other major seller I have purchased from, has not occasionally mislabeled.

Marie,

I was never part of the croton photo selection process. When the yearly calendar came out, I would be just as surprised as the next member.

And yes, the calendars had their share of mistakes but at least the photos were nice.:)