COSTA RICA CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF ACUBAEFOLIUM

donroberth

19/07/09
ACUBAEFOLIUM…for the longest time I thought this cultivar was GOLD DUST until Marie Nock identified it correctly for me, “the leaf is much larger and has a ruddy colored underside”, she said…thanks Marie. P.S. “don’t forget to also look for the purplish-red petiole” said Robertico (fotos 4 & 11).

Attachments

• 1 ACUBAEFOLIUM-ATENAS.jpg
    1 ACUBAEFOLIUM-ATENAS.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 2 ACUBAEFOLIUM-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    2 ACUBAEFOLIUM-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 65
  • 3 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SAN ANTONIO.jpg
    3 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SAN ANTONIO.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 4 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SAN ANTONIO.jpg
    4 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SAN ANTONIO.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 5 ACUBAEFOLIUM-PAVAS.jpg
    5 ACUBAEFOLIUM-PAVAS.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 6 ACUBAEFOLIUM-PAVAS.jpg
    6 ACUBAEFOLIUM-PAVAS.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 7 ACUBAEFOLIUM-PAVAS.jpg
    7 ACUBAEFOLIUM-PAVAS.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 8 ACUBAEFOLIUM-PAVAS.jpg
    8 ACUBAEFOLIUM-PAVAS.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 72
FOTOS #13 thru #16: These two cultivars show an unusually high percentage of their leaves turning their reddish-ruddy colored under-sides toward the sun and its yellow spots appear splotched. This trait gives it a very attractive and colorful look.:)

Attachments

• 9 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SABANA OESTE.jpg
    9 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SABANA OESTE.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 10 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SABANA OESTE.jpg
    10 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SABANA OESTE.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 11 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SABANA OESTE.jpg
    11 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SABANA OESTE.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 12 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SABANA OESTE.jpg
    12 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SABANA OESTE.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 13 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SAN MATEO.jpg
    13 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SAN MATEO.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 14 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SAN MATEO.jpg
    14 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SAN MATEO.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 15 GOOD ACUBAEFOLIUM-SAN MATEO.jpg
    15 GOOD ACUBAEFOLIUM-SAN MATEO.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 16 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SAN MATEIO.jpg
    16 ACUBAEFOLIUM-SAN MATEIO.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 83
FOTOS #13 thru #16: These two cultivars show an unusually high percentage of their leaves turning their reddish-ruddy colored under-sides toward the sun and its yellow spots appear splotched. This trait gives it a very attractive and colorful look.:)

Very nice I have had this one for many years it never fails to please, I have taken several air-layers it just keeps on shining. I look forward to seeing your posts.THANK'S

Robertico,

I also look forward to your posts. Your photos are wonderful. Always a lot of thought put in to show the plant's salient characteristics beautifully. I also love the photos of the monster trees. It shows us the true genetic potential these plants have in the best habitat. Thanks so much for posting.

I am going to take a break from posting photos to the wiki for a few days, maybe a week since my daughter is visiting. I definitely will put some of these beauties in. I love seeing the reddish backs and the petioles. We are learning a lot from each other! Thanks.

Ana

I need to get in touch with Lee and get me a Acubaefolium. Thanks for the great photos of very nice looking plants.

Robert,

Thanks for all of your great pictures. It seems to be one of the more common crotons around town? It makes a good landscape croton for it's size, fast growth and durability.

Thanks for the photos Robert.:D I've been to Costa Rica 5 times & I'm always amazed by variety of plants, from the lowland up in to the cloud forests. I'll try dig up some croton photos to post.