Making the Grade?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Throwing this up for input. At what point does a newly named cultivar deserve to be listed in the Wiki? Take Pam Kiefert, there is a very limited amount of these around. One in Pinecrest and another in Plantation besides mine. One good hurricane and bam - it does not exist anymore.

There are three air layers that recently got potted up. One is heading to the west coast, another may be heading to the Keys. So its slowly getting distributed around.

I'm just thinking about someone that is getting into crotons seeing plants in the Wiki. You would hope that listed cultivars would be somewhere other than only one or two places anywhere. Just saying ... :confused:

In my opinion, the Wiki is solely for posting pictures of a croton and with it's name. It's a place for reference. Why would it matter on how many plants are established? Ron, in your case, your newly named croton( very pretty) is established and over time you are making it known to all of us that you would like to trade it or sell it or even give it away to someone. There are plenty of named crotons that are listed in the Wiki that are rare as "hen's teeth" ( as Ray would say) but what I would consider not very pretty or maybe not even want in my yard. But their there. I think there are some names in Wiki with no pictures and to my knowledge, not a single plant exist. I've never even heard of some of these, and if they do exist, a picture needs to be added. Or delete the name altogether. But to have all this criteria to allow a plant in Wiki, is not it was originally designed for. Only my thoughts.....

Hey, Ron or Mike,

Could you take a couple of nice photos of Tickled Pink for the wiki? Especially showing the whole plant and then a more close up of leaves? Thanks!

Ana:)

Ana - my feelings are in line with Jeff's post prior to yours. Please feel free to use the photos. I can't speak for Mike but I am sure he would not have issues with his discovery appearing in the Wiki. Did seeing a big one help you realize how unique and beautiful this croton can be? LOL :D Like many cultivars, photos sometimes can not duplicate the splendor a plant truly has.

No issues at all,please go ahead and post pics .It is better for Ron to take photo as mine was just transplanted from a 3 gallon pot two months ago.It is a really nice plant :)

Ana - my feelings are in line with Jeff's post prior to yours. Please feel free to use the photos. I can't speak for Mike but I am sure he would not have issues with his discovery appearing in the Wiki. Did seeing a big one help you realize how unique and beautiful this croton can be? LOL :D Like many cultivars, photos sometimes can not duplicate the splendor a plant truly has.

Ron, your plant was definitely awesome. Could you please post some photos of Tickled Pink? Thanks. Ana:cool:

Ana - I tried to get some decent photos this afternoon. Problem is that it is flushing so many new leaves is it is difficult to see its characteristic coloring. We may need to wait until Sept. when its aged like a fine wine. :eek:

Ana - I tried to get some decent photos this afternoon. Problem is that it is flushing so many new leaves is it is difficult to see its characteristic coloring. We may need to wait until Sept. when its aged like a fine wine. :eek:

Ana - it looks good to the naked eye, just too much green with the new flushes for the camera. Its got two nice sized air layers on it. I'll remember to take photos for you before I remove them. The air layers should be ready about the same time she colors up.

Attachments

• Ticked Pink 1.JPG
    Ticked Pink 1.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Tickled Pink 2.JPG
    Tickled Pink 2.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 64
Hey, don't forget Pam Kiefert. Please take some great photos of that one you showed me. Please.

Its the same scenario with Pam Kiefert. She is flushing lots of new leaves - the hot pinks have not developed yet. All the yellows should be pinking up come September. This is the best I could do today. You can see some of the hot pinks on some of the older leaves.

Attachments

• Pam Kiefert 1 (2).JPG
    Pam Kiefert 1 (2).JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Pam Kiefert 2 (2).JPG
    Pam Kiefert 2 (2).JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Pam Kiefert 3.JPG
    Pam Kiefert 3.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 66
Ron and Mike,

I went ahead and entered Tickled Pink and Pam Kiefert because I thought the photos showed enough of the plants characteristics. When you have better photos we'll either add them or switch them. Thanks! Beautiful plants.:D