Anyone growing Carl Bachman?

Ray,

I would love to get one myself to add to the collection. But, I have yet to seen one plant and I don't know if there are any still left anywhere. I hope it hasen't been lost forever.
Jeff

I just was looking at the pic of "Carl Bachman" on the Croton Registry, and it really caught my eye. Is there anyone growing this nowadays?

Still nothing over here. This could very well be a plant that has been lost. And any of the old gardens, John Bender, Ralph Davis, Frank Brown, Robert Halgrim, Henry Coppinger and Aubrey Christian, these collections are all gone. It's very, very sad! Something has to change!

Still nothing over here. This could very well be a plant that has been lost. And any of the old gardens, John Bender, Ralph Davis, Frank Brown, Robert Halgrim, Henry Coppinger and Aubrey Christian, these collections are all gone. It's very, very sad! Something has to change!

I can't get the picture to come up here can anyone describe Carl please? Leaf type coloring anything?

Ray,

I would love to get one myself to add to the collection. But, I have yet to seen one plant and I don't know if there are any still left anywhere. I hope it hasen't been lost forever.
Jeff

If somebody could post a picture I will go over to Ms Bachman and see if she has Carl Bachman in her yard she has some really large Rudy Bachman all over I think she would share some

CARLBACHMANN.jpg
If somebody could post a picture I will go over to Ms Bachman and see if she has Carl Bachman in her yard she has some really large Rudy Bachman all over I think she would share some
Kip, this is the image from the Croton Registry. If it had not been there, I don't think I would have ever known about it. Thanks for looking into this. It is much appreciated.

Kip,

If your referring to the old Bachman house in North Miami, there is no Mrs Bachman around. I was at this house twice, over 10 years ago and when nobody was living there. It had a big HUD House for Sale on the fence. Anything of value had been "chopped and lopped" to the ground with the exception of the Rudy Bachman plants along the fence. These didn't look bad actually. But I remember seeing what used to be a very large Mona Lisa( 6-8' ?) reduced down to a stump of a few inches. It really made me sick I remember! So, unless you know something I don't know, it's basically all gone.

Kip,

If your referring to the old Bachman house in North Miami, there is no Mrs Bachman around. I was at this house twice, over 10 years ago and when nobody was living there. It had a big HUD House for Sale on the fence. Anything of value had been "chopped and lopped" to the ground with the exception of the Rudy Bachman plants along the fence. These didn't look bad actually. But I remember seeing what used to be a very large Mona Lisa( 6-8' ?) reduced down to a stump of a few inches. It really made me sick I remember! So, unless you know something I don't know, it's basically all gone.

The house you are talking about in North Miami I have not been to in over 25 yrs, however, I do remember it. The Mrs. Bachman I'm talking about is the daughter in law of Rudy Bachman, she lives here in Miami Springs and she is actually pictured in the croton book. I've been to her house several times and she has some huge Rudy Bachmans in her yard. I'm sure a lot of stuff has been lost over the years due to freezes, but it's worth a chance to go look and I'll even ask her how Carl was related to the family. I'm on the case.

Kip,

That's great to hear! I was unaware that she was still living, let alone living in the area. I would love to go along with you on a visit if you don't mind, and certainly accomplish two things. First, see what actually is growing in her yard and preserve anything with her permission. And I would also like to have a chat with her, find out some of the old history about her family and what crotons were named after who. She's got to be the last "link" to the Bachman era. Wow!

Kip,

That's great to hear! I was unaware that she was still living, let alone living in the area. I would love to go along with you on a visit if you don't mind, and certainly accomplish two things. First, see what actually is growing in her yard and preserve anything with her permission. And I would also like to have a chat with her, find out some of the old history about her family and what crotons were named after who. She's got to be the last "link" to the Bachman era. Wow!

What a great story opening up here, I hope you can talk to her and get a little first hand info. This is really a special moment. Good luck...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 50