The Passing of John Bender

Jeff Searle

26/08/08
I was just talking to Bob Alonzo yesterday, and he informed me that John had passed away a few months ago. Please excuse me if this was mentioned somewhere in an earlier thread but I looked and could not find anything. John was in his middle to upper 80's. John as many of you know, was a tremendous pioneer in the the croton world and had one of the nicest collections of all time. He will be sorely missed.
Jeff

I was just talking to Bob Alonzo yesterday, and he informed me that John had passed away a few months ago. Please excuse me if this was mentioned somewhere in an earlier thread but I looked and could not find anything. John was in his middle to upper 80's. John as many of you know, was a tremendous pioneer in the the croton world and had one of the nicest collections of all time. He will be sorely missed.
Jeff

Sad news. Here's an article on John from 2008. http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/images/c/c9/Samplenewsletter.pdf A salute to John Bender from a previous Codiaeum Connection.

Sad news. John had more to do with our croton collection than anyone else. He was my croton mentor.

Sad news for sure. I found John by pure blind luck, my first comment when he can to the door "my gosh your in Dr. Browns book". He gave me that look and said come on we will go out back. I had no idea where that chance meeting would take me. Thank you to a real gentleman.....

I also got most of my collection from John. He had the best croton collection that I have ever seen. I wish everyone could have seen it a few years ago. A great loss to the croton world. To me he was the ' POPE' of the croton world and always will be.

This is truly sad news. I only met John Bender once at my very first croton meeting. Being a total newbie, I had no idea that I was in the presence of a great man. John Bender was not just a croton guru, he was also an avid exotic fern collector as well. I learned this in the last few years listening to the old timers from the Tropical Fern Society.

Dr. Brown said that Mr. Bender had "the best collection of quality crotons anywhere." He will be missed.