Trying to save Grandma

It's nice to see Ann Rutherford making the rounds.

I wish there was a way to get Bob Alonso to come see "Grandma". Looking at Dr. Frank Brown's Florida's Beautiful Crotons (1960), we find the first evidence of General MacArthur being described:

GENERAL McARTHUR: Semi-oak leaf, rather large. Background color a dark green, center of leaf a lovely orange-scarlet. Origin unknown but a very lovely grower. This is not a very old croton.

Some have suggested that Grandma is General MacAthuresque or from the General MacArthur "complex". Dr. Brown's description is from 1960, and states that "This is not a very old croton". Grandma came from a yard where the man who planted it died in 1961. I suggest that this croton had some significant age in 1961. His descendants were not plant people therefore Grandma was left to survive on her own. No fertilizer, supplemental irrigation, etc ...

Although there is no concrete evidence, the above suggests that Ray's ID may be appropriate. :)

Attachments

• Grandma 1.JPG
    Grandma 1.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Grandma 2.JPG
    Grandma 2.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 141
:confused:Just more mud in the water from my world. I call them the MacArthur ( syndrome)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 140
My Ann Rutherford has erupted this year. It's so gratifying because it grows quickly and seems mite-proof. Thanks again Ron for finding this plant and getting it distributed.

Ray - that seems to be the case with this plant. Takes its time establishing then boom ...

Just curious with some of those plants making it to the West Coast, can't we get Bob Alonzo to take a look for a definitive ID.

Grandma looks like she is really enjoying all the rain. ;)

In the both photos - you can see my grass is getting out of hand. :( Its been too wet to mow, it clogs my mulching mower :mad:

Attachments

• Grandma 1 (2).JPG
    Grandma 1 (2).JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Grandma 2 (2).JPG
    Grandma 2 (2).JPG
    222 KB · Views: 146