How to Propagate Cordylines (Ti plants)

Boy Sean - I don't want you to feel bad, but I have a hard time killing Ti Plants. I have cut the cane and let it lay in the dirt for months, then it gets partially buried and ends up growing again. I don't know what to suggest, as it sounds as if you know a little about growing stuff, and have tried water rooting, etc.

What type are you trying to root. Can you show us a few pics? Have you let the cut callous over a day or two before putting it in water or the wet media.

What exactly is happening when you try to root them. Are they rotting?

Howzit everyone. I'm new to this post and just trying to get some more information and hopefully meet others with similar interest. Like many on this forum post, I too have the ti bug. My difficulty is within my success rate of rooting. The ti that I have been able to root are doing well. But right now it really seems hit or miss with me and lately has gotten me a little down that I am unable to root this plant that is said to be so easily rooted. So basically I am looking for any information that would benefit my rooting success rate. I have had a batch of cane cuttings in soil since April 1 and inspecting them they show little to no signs of rooting. What propagation media do you find works wells and/or tips to help encourage root development and improved success rate. I have tried water rooting, but read the negative effects of water grown roots when transplanting plus my lack of success. Haven't had much success with horizontal rooting either. Most of my rooted ti I have rooted vertically in either a soil or soilless mixture.
Mahalo nui for the time and help.

Are you using a "root tone" kind of product to stimulate root development? A well aeriated soil that is kept moist but not waterlogged should be beneficial. Scott is the master Ti Plant grower - he knows way more about these plants than I.

Scott ?

Sean, Ti plants are easy to propagate for me in our warmer months. I try not to propagate in our cooler months Dec-Feb. I like to place the cuttings in water (change water every 2 days) in a container in a shaded location. You being in California you may try placing the container and cutting in a plastic bag to raise the humidity. When I root in water I like to place the cuttings in soil as soon as I notice the white bumps that will become roots. I have stems in water now that I will be potting up today and I will get some pictures. Scott

Right now I a trying to root Haole Boy, Negra Diamond, Vanuatu, Katrijn, Yoshino Tagami, Mini Purple Prince, Hawaiian Flag and Haleakala. I have had trouble with the mini's dying off from rot. But I also have no success at all with Purple Prince in general, it seems to be my enemy. I can post pictures this evening.

I have used root-tone and found that for me personally it make little difference in success as I've rooted without before.

It seems as though there is a consensus with water rooting, I can give it another try. I have a humidity dome I can use with my trays. Has anyone experimented with bottom heat with water?

This log was placed in a bucket of water in a outside shaded area 2 weeks ago. These photos show the first signs of the roots. Now I will place in soil.
IMG_1172.jpg

Dean - I direct stick my crown cuttings but have not had trouble with those. If they are my cuttings I normally do not let them sit a day or two but others are from family on windward side O'ahu, so they are sitting a few days getting to CA.

Scott - When I started I used to root in water and am familiar with the cuttings looking this way. I will take the cuttings and try again in water. From the looks, are you putting them vertical in soil. Also what kind of soil mixes are you guys using for potting? I have been experimenting and always looking to improve my set up.

Here is a few cuttings from the prop. tray that has not yielded any thing.

IMG_0010.jpg

Sean, The vertical vs horizontal is a personal preference. I just see quicker results from the vertical method. When I first started getting logs shipped from abroad I did both. Water vs soil I also do both. I just started new cuttings shipped and I just stuck them vertical in soil. Here is Lilinoe started last summer, I started one of the 12" logs in water (vertical) and I cut the other log in half and planted them vertical in soil. I also use a good draining mix when I plant in pots.
IMG_1194.jpgIMG_1195.jpg

Sean, Have you ever grown Ti from seed? It is more time consuming but very rewarding, you never know what that seed will grow.
IMG_1197.jpg

On the Kiwi subject the Kiwi sold in the box stores here do not compare to this Kiwi from Hawaii.
IMG_1223.jpg

Sean - Just another thought.

You could be having an issue with bugs. Maybe very small ones you can't see, or ones that may disappear under soil at night. Super small insects could be "nibbling" at roots or shoots when still super small and damaging or totally destroying them. Perhaps a prophylactic treatment of some kind might help. Or if you don't like chemicals (like me), maybe a careful look with a magnifying glass for small bugs or damage.

Well last night I put the cuttings in water with the humidity dome. Maybe that was my missing ingredient. Will monitor that and see how things turn out. For your potting mix are you using straight from the bag or mixing your own. I'm currently using a mix I read from an article with David Yearian of one-third each of peat moss, perlite and cinders.
I haven't grown from seed yet. Only one of my mature plants sent out flowers but did not mature into the fruit. Would love to try though. Talking to hybriders in Hawaii really got me interested.

Dean-It is a possibility. I have seen some bugs under the first tissue layer of rotten cuttings. How would I go about treating that?

Dean-It is a possibility. I have seen some bugs under the first tissue layer of rotten cuttings. How would I go about treating that?

When i have to use a chemical insecticide I usually use malathion because I think it's relatively safe (for chems) and doesn't last a long time. And it has a pretty broad range. But what you have to determine is what it is you are trying to kill, and more importantly you have to figure out if the bugs are a primary problem, or a secondary issue with feeding on already dead or rotting plant material. You will just have to Google some research if you end up seeing anything you can identify.

Scott-I've tried many times. It is one of my girlfriends favorite and have been trying to grow for some time but I just keep failing. Yours look great. Was looking at this thread and The Colors of Cordylines thread and see so many beautiful ti. Is there a place on this forum for sale/trade cuttings?

Scott-I've tried many times. It is one of my girlfriends favorite and have been trying to grow for some time but I just keep failing. Yours look great. Was looking at this thread and The Colors of Cordylines thread and see so many beautiful ti. Is there a place on this forum for sale/trade cuttings?

There was a sale and trade place on this forum, but it looks like it is gone now. What named Ti are you growing? I have a few extra that are needing a home and some cuttings that will follow in the coming weeks. I wait to the hot sticky months here in Fl to root my cane. I get roots in a week or so. As for seed sowing follow the advice given in this thread by Angela or you can try the paper towel method. Watch for seed!

A grab bag of looks here from H.boy seed. This Fall I believe the final look will show.
IMG_1288.jpg

There was a sale and trade place on this forum, but it looks like it is gone now. What named Ti are you growing? I have a few extra that are needing a home and some cuttings that will follow in the coming weeks. I wait to the hot sticky months here in Fl to root my cane. I get roots in a week or so. As for seed sowing follow the advice given in this thread by Angela or you can try the paper towel method. Watch for seed!

If you look at the very first pinned topic in this forum, that is a place to post trades, etc.

I did have a classified ad section set up, but it wasn't used and required considerable resources and software maintenance to keep it up. So it was removed.

Island.Pnoy

I haven't looked at this forum in sometime. I see you're living in Southern California, so you might be interested in our Ti Society. Our next meeting with cane distribution is next Sat. May 4. I have sent the info to you in a private message should you be interested in participating.

Ken

Scott - I am growing [Baby Doll, Bangkok Rainbow, Cameroon, Haole Boy, Hawaiian Compacta, Hawaiian Flag, Ikaika, John Cummins, John Klass, Kahului, Kauai Rosebud, Kilauea, La’i, Lani Ti, Lilinoe, Lillian Olivera, Maudie Hart, Maui Paintbrush, Mini Hawaiian Flag, Mini Kauai Beauty, Miss Andrea, Nahiku Gold, Negra, Negra Diamond, Ono Mea?, Orange Glow, Pele’s Smoke, Red, Strawberry Sunday, Sunset, WB Tagami Mini , Will I’s Gold, Yoshino Tagami] but not really any big enough to cut up yet. Do you cut your stock and hold onto the canes until those hot sticky months or do you just wait till then to cut up? How long could I keep a cane cutting without putting in water/potting media? For the seedlings I will go back through this thread and read the directions in here and do my best. Thank you again.

Ken - I did not receive a message but would be interested if it is fairly local and I could get work off.
Dean - I will search out the topic you are speaking of and take a look.

Thank you all for the information and help.

Scott - I am growing [Baby Doll, Bangkok Rainbow, Cameroon, Haole Boy, Hawaiian Compacta, Hawaiian Flag, Ikaika, John Cummins, John Klass, Kahului, Kauai Rosebud, Kilauea, La’i, Lani Ti, Lilinoe, Lillian Olivera, Maudie Hart, Maui Paintbrush, Mini Hawaiian Flag, Mini Kauai Beauty, Miss Andrea, Nahiku Gold, Negra, Negra Diamond, Ono Mea?, Orange Glow, Pele’s Smoke, Red, Strawberry Sunday, Sunset, WB Tagami Mini , Will I’s Gold, Yoshino Tagami] but not really any big enough to cut up yet. Do you cut your stock and hold onto the canes until those hot sticky months or do you just wait till then to cut up? How long could I keep a cane cutting without putting in water/potting media? For the seedlings I will go back through this thread and read the directions in here and do my best. Thank you again.

Ken - I did not receive a message but would be interested if it is fairly local and I could get work off.

Sean, I may have a few cuttings to send to you in a month or so. I wait and cut in the hot sticky months if I can. I have started mail order logs in the cooler months, but I have had a few of those logs rot. I do not know how long you can cut cane. I have had cane shipped to me and it has taken a week in the mail and have had no problem with them growing into plants. They must hold longer if the cut ends are waxed like those sold in those little bags in some stores.

Sorry you didn't get the private e-mail. The meeting is this Sat.May 4 at 10:00. Louis/Carol Hooper 562.691.7146 505 Lois Street, La Habra, CA

Sorry you didn't get the private e-mail. The meeting is this Sat.May 4 at 10:00. Louis/Carol Hooper 562.691.7146 505 Lois Street, La Habra, CA

Ah, thank you for the information but I do not beleive I can make this one. I will be stuck at work all day. How often do you guys meet or have the cutting sales? I there any other information on this society?

Sean, I may have a few cuttings to send to you in a month or so. I wait and cut in the hot sticky months if I can. I have started mail order logs in the cooler months, but I have had a few of those logs rot. I do not know how long you can cut cane. I have had cane shipped to me and it has taken a week in the mail and have had no problem with them growing into plants. They must hold longer if the cut ends are waxed like those sold in those little bags in some stores.

Some of my mail logs have rot out too as stated with my first post. Where are you ordering from may I ask? I know waxing the ends will keep the logs but just that process can be burdensome. If you end up having some cuttings I would love to take some off your hands if you have excess.

Some of my mail logs have rot out too as stated with my first post. Where are you ordering from may I ask? I know waxing the ends will keep the logs but just that process can be burdensome. If you end up having some cuttings I would love to take some off your hands if you have excess.

I have tried to PM you some places to order logs. It just will not send you the PM. I will keep trying this weekend. Watch for seeds, as I have gotten them ready to mail.

Ah, thank you for the information but I do not beleive I can make this one. I will be stuck at work all day. How often do you guys meet or have the cutting sales? I there any other information on this society?

Our next meeting is Sat. June 1 at 21561 Archer Circle, Huntington Beach 92646. We will also be having a ti cane distribution from another grower in Hawaii. Usually our meetings are every month or two during the warm months given we have a volunteer to host.
In what area of Southern California do you live? Other members live closer to L.A. and so sometimes the meetings are in that area. I live in South Pasadena and there are others who live in Hollywood and Carson.

Ken

Our next meeting is Sat. June 1 at 21561 Archer Circle, Huntington Beach 92646. We will also be having a ti cane distribution from another grower in Hawaii. Usually our meetings are every month or two during the warm months given we have a volunteer to host.
In what area of Southern California do you live? Other members live closer to L.A. and so sometimes the meetings are in that area. I live in South Pasadena and there are others who live in Hollywood and Carson.

Ken

Ken, I will definitely try to work one of the meetings into my schedule. I stay in the South Bay Area of LA, almost neighbor to Carson. Travel a bit so long drives aren't the real issue, work is. But as I said I will do my best to make it out. It would be nice to meet others with the same interest in my area. Time to talk story and share tips for our relative weather zone.

Thank you Scott. Am excited and will look out for the seeds. Appreciate the effort in sending me some places to get cane cuttings.

Sean, I will include with the seed the info on where to buy Ti logs. The PM still is not working :mad:. Also check out Ebay for Cordyline. There is a seller selling rooted starter logs.

Sean, I will include with the seed the info on where to buy Ti logs. The PM still is not working :mad:. Also check out Ebay for Cordyline. There is a seller selling rooted starter logs.

Scott, just got the package this afternoon. Thank you very much, I was not expecting so many. Let me know how I can repay you. This evening I will be re-read this thread for best results to prop the seeds. Thank you as well for the sites information and I will check out ebay.

Thanks again and hoping for the best results.

Scott, just got the package this afternoon. Thank you very much, I was not expecting so many. Let me know how I can repay you. This evening I will be re-read this thread for best results to prop the seeds. Thank you as well for the sites information and I will check out ebay.

Thanks again and hoping for the best results.

Sean, Have fun growing from seed. A little patience is needed. Its like getting the proverbial prize out of the Cracker Jack box. Here are more seedlings I am watching close now.
IMG_1554.jpgIMG_1552.jpgIMG_1550.jpg

Hei scott

Just wanna let you know, all those cordylines seeds you sent to me last year didn't make it
Think climate reason ?
Anyway, do you sell their logs ?
I will pay for the postage /shipping fee.

Thank you

Yvonne
Malaysia

Hei scott

Just wanna let you know, all those cordylines seeds you sent to me last year didn't make it
Think climate reason ?
Anyway, do you sell their logs ?
I will pay for the postage /shipping fee.

Thank you

Yvonne
Malaysia

Yvonne, Sorry to hear they did not make it. Did they sprout for you? I have found that it is better to err on the dry side than to keep them to wet. Sorry, I have no logs to sell at this time. Here is a picture of seedlings that the seed were sown last summer direct in the ground. The soil is very sandy and stays a little on the dry side in this location. The seedling plants have grown pretty fast.
IMG_1563.jpg

I am also trying a new found way to grow the logs. The logs are placed in a baggie in wet sphagnum moss and left until you get nice white roots showing in the baggie. Look close at the baggie, you may see a few of the white roots. Also pictured is Arrons Red (now potted up) that I purchased that had been started in the moss/baggie method.
IMG_1557.jpgIMG_1559.jpg