I'm Thinking Croton Tour ...

in the Tampa Bay area, the USF sale is the 13th & 14th; Green Thumb Festival is the 27th & 28th, so how about 4/6 or 4/20? Either Coast...

I'm fine with either the 6th or the 20th but the 20th would be better for me.Let me get to work on a idea that I have had for a while.I will let everyone know if I make any progress.

in the Tampa Bay area, the USF sale is the 13th & 14th; Green Thumb Festival is the 27th & 28th, so how about 4/6 or 4/20? Either Coast...

I like Perry's idea of 4/20. Five days after Tax Return Day - also gives the air layers a better chance of establishment. We need more input from everyone on dates so the largest number can be accomodated. Ray, Phil, Keith, Gina, Glocks, Shillings, Randy, Andy, Bill, Marie, Emmylou, etc ... ???

20-April is nfg here since I have concer tickets (unless get-together is on west coast). Early May would be better since more air layers would be ready be then.

20-April is nfg here since I have concer tickets (unless get-together is on west coast). Early May would be better since more air layers would be ready be then.

Oh Phil, are you suggesting a west coast croton tour at Toby's or Scott's gardens? I would definitely love that. Maybe we would meet Anna from Sarasota too ? :confused:

I have had a preliminary talk with Stan Wood from Everglades Botanical and he will be available to give a tour of the Flamingo Gardens in Davie any Sunday in April.I agree with Phil that later in the month will be better.For those who do not know, Stan is a longtime croton collector (at least 40 years) and has much insights into Flamingo Gardens and all the different crotons there.I have also spoken with the group director at Flamingo and they will give us a discounted rate of between $10-12 depending on how many people show.Link for Flamingo gardens.

http://www.flamingogardens.org/

He also said he could set aside one of the pavillions to set up for our croton auction.We could also have the tour on a saturday but Stan probably would not be available to give us a tour then.How does April 28 sound??They also have a cafe right there on site and offer tram rides to carry visitors around the grounds.They are many rare palms and flowering trees there,they even had a big Lodoicea maldivica but i am unsure if it survived the 2009 freeze??

Oh Phil, are you suggesting a west coast croton tour at Toby's or Scott's gardens? I would definitely love that. Maybe we would meet Anna from Sarasota too ? :confused:

Scott's is going a overhaul at this time may be ready for a fall tour. But keep in mind...Scottland is not all about Crotons. :)

I have had a preliminary talk with Stan Wood from Everglades Botanical and he will be available to give a tour of the Flamingo Gardens in Davie any Sunday in April.I agree with Phil that later in the month will be better.For those who do not know, Stan is a longtime croton collector (at least 40 years) and has much insights into Flamingo Gardens and all the different crotons there.I have also spoken with the group director at Flamingo and they will give us a discounted rate of between $10-12 depending on how many people show.Link for Flamingo gardens.

We like the idea of Flamingo Gardens and of April 28. They have reciprocity for Fairchild members - perhaps for members of other botanical gardens as well.

Mike -
Where at Flamingo Gardens would we hold our sale/auction? I forget the details from years ago when the Croton Society held a sale in conjucntion with some other event there (plant sale) but wherever the auction is, it should be close to where one can unload a car or truck. Don't want to be schlepping lotsa plants through the main entrance...

I will try and get over there soon to eyeball the grounds.I have not been there for at least 5 years so I cannot remember the layout.I agree a long walk with multiple plants would be unpleasant.

Mike -
Where at Flamingo Gardens would we hold our sale/auction? I forget the details from years ago when the Croton Society held a sale in conjucntion with some other event there (plant sale) but wherever the auction is, it should be close to where one can unload a car or truck. Don't want to be schlepping lotsa plants through the main entrance...

I've been to Flamingo Gardens many times over the last 25 years or so. It would make for a nice setting for sure. The pavillion is towards the back of the gardens, and room to park our cars ......with permission from Stan. The main parking lot is in the front and would be almost an impossible walk back there with crotons . But again, Stan would have to allow us this.

More feedback needed on the proposed site and date.Anyone else has interest with Flamingo Gardens on April 28??I will need to meet with them soon to firm up plans.We need more input so I can get a general feel for number of attendees.

Mike, Jim and I have been talking about going to Flamingo for several years. So as of now we are IN and looking forward to it!

More feedback needed on the proposed site and date.Anyone else has interest with Flamingo Gardens on April 28??I will need to meet with them soon to firm up plans.We need more input so I can get a general feel for number of attendees.

Yes I am all in 4-28-13

Ok ,thanks for the responses,we are a tentative go for Sunday April 28.I will head to Flamingo this week and I will try and firm up the plans :)

I went to Flamingo today,the grounds are looking good.It is really a quite interesting place.Many rare trees and plants but I really enjoyed the aviary, especially the birds of prey (I had never seen a bald eagle in person)The crotons are in decent shape and there are many varieties that were new to me.I have reserved a pavillion for the auction that is very close to the main entrance (50 ft or so) .There are at least two different areas to get food or you can bring your own food if you desire and just buy drinks there.They open at 9.30am sunday and I think Stan's tour will start around 11am to give the people from the west coast time to get here.Should be a great day!!

Mike -

Attachments

• flamingo thai.jpg
    flamingo thai.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 181
  • flamingo spotted.jpg
    flamingo spotted.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 164
  • flamingo flamingo.jpg
    flamingo flamingo.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 168
Mike - will Stan Wood have plants entered into the auction. Its my understanding he has a few hard to find & unique cultivars. Especially alot of "Ralph Davis" created plants. :confused:

I'm starting to get scared how much this auction may bruise my wallet ... :p

I will try and find out.He certainly has a great collection,I am sure one or two will sneak in to our auction.

Mike - will Stan Wood have plants entered into the auction. Its my understanding he has a few hard to find & unique cultivars. Especially alot of "Ralph Davis" created plants. :confused:

I'm starting to get scared how much this auction may bruise my wallet ... :p

I just talked to Stan, not much to add, but he's excited about hosting our group. He also stated his best crotons are near and around his house. I've seen these, so it's well worth attending.

It would be nice if the location of Flamingo Gardens was posted. :confused: It cannot be assumed that everyone knows where its at. Lurkers - you are welcome to attend unless your initials are DB LOL :D

This garden tour coordinated by Mike (Bullwinkle) and led by Stan is going to be fun happening. At the Spring Sale at Fairchild Tropical Gardens, this tour was a much discussed topic. Alot of newbies may be showing up. We got on the horn and it looks like the Glocks are coming and possibly the Shillings. Jeff Searle even convinced Mrs. Moose to go to Church Sat. evening and join the fun Sunday.

Mike - is there a contact phone number for further details of for those who get lost? Is Mrs. Bullwinkle coming? A feel a Moose herd forming - LOL :cool:

It is crazy with me now since we are in the middle of a move and there are many things left to finish.My potted plants (mostly crotons) took 2 full trips with a 26' Uhaul today!!
All directions and info for Flamingo Garden can be found on the flamingogardens.org website
I will get to the gardens around 10.30 and Stan will give his tour at 11am.Please let the people at the cashier now that you are with the croton tour and you will get the discounted entrance fee.There are two different cafes right at Flamingo so anyone who wants to stay can be there all day if they like.Any one with questions can get me on my cell 954-6736882

It would be nice if the location of Flamingo Gardens was posted. :confused: It cannot be assumed that everyone knows where its at. Lurkers - you are welcome to attend unless your initials are DB LOL :D

This garden tour coordinated by Mike (Bullwinkle) and led by Stan is going to be fun happening. At the Spring Sale at Fairchild Tropical Gardens, this tour was a much discussed topic. Alot of newbies may be showing up. We got on the horn and it looks like the Glocks are coming and possibly the Shillings. Jeff Searle even convinced Mrs. Moose to go to Church Sat. evening and join the fun Sunday.

Mike - is there a contact phone number for further details of for those who get lost? Is Mrs. Bullwinkle coming? A feel a Moose herd forming - LOL :cool:

I called Cookie but she will not be in town,I passed by Johnny's house last week to tell him but no answer at door.I think a couple of people who are coming will tell him.

Has anyone contacted Cookie or Johnny Shelton to let them know? :confused:

Ron,

That's nice to hear that Pam will be coming. The Shillings will not be attending, I think their going to be out of the area.
One question, will the gardens allow people in free if they have a membership to other gardens?