Crotons for auction

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
It is a little early but since I start my move this weekend I wanted to go ahead and get these posted before things get crazy.First is a big leafed unknown,then a big Embassy in the middle with General Marshall on the right.

Attachments

• crotonauction1.jpg
    crotonauction1.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 211
Next we have Glorioso Superbum,Judy's Beauty and Bermuda Red.

Attachments

• crotonauction2.jpg
    crotonauction2.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 230
Last we have Rocio and Challenger.Challenger just flushed a bunch of new green growth that will turn red over time.

Attachments

• DSCN0270.jpg
    DSCN0270.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 211
Very nice, Mike. Looking forward to bidding on these beauties. I just potted up my very first air layers this weekend. I'll try to photograph, ID and post to this thread later.

Just viewed the Flamingo Gardens website, and it looks like a lovely place to visit. I did not know it's also a wildlife sanctuary. I'm hoping to bring some of my youngster family members to enjoy the gardens and wildlife while the auction is going on, and hopefully make a nice day of it. It seems like a great idea to have the get together here!

I'm curious to know if anyone may be bringing any of these plants: Dr. Frank Brown, Mona Lisa or Ram's Horn? ;)

I've got at least 75 air layers on various crotons but doubt if any will be ready, so some leftovers:
2 ea 3 gal Col Gilbert Cutler
1 3 gal Victoria Goldbell
1 3 gal Madame Butterfly
1 3 gal Caution Light or Yellow Duke of Windsor
1 3 gal Fishbone if anyone is interested.
A nice air layer of pink Eburnum for Bullwinkle

Pics are verrry slow to upload now so will try later.

Attachments

• DSCN4244.jpg
    DSCN4244.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCN4270.jpg
    DSCN4270.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 180
I have a few left from last year, hope the pictures work out.:cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 173
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 176
They are probably the same plant,I doubt there is much difference between them.I think there was a thread that mentioned some small difference??I got mine as Herringbone so I kept the name the same.

Red Herringbone ? Not Red Fishbone Mike ? :confused:

Hmmmmm, that is one not found in the Moose Land ;)

Mike -
there's an air layer cooking on CH now but doubt if it will be ready. The one from last year is going in the ground shortly to replace a Rainbow Starlight (great name, mediocre croton)

Ok,check it before you leave,if it looks even partially ready it would be great if it made the trip .

Mike -
there's an air layer cooking on CH now but doubt if it will be ready. The one from last year is going in the ground shortly to replace a Rainbow Starlight (great name, mediocre croton)

Man, I see some very interesting varieties! Some I'm interested in too. I think the bidding could get out of control....'off the chain"!!! I'll try to get a list together on what I'll be bringing. Pretty much count on seeing a few different ones that were NOT offered recently at my sale last month.

Man, I see some very interesting varieties! Some I'm interested in too. I think the bidding could get out of control....'off the chain"!!! I'll try to get a list together on what I'll be bringing. Pretty much count on seeing a few different ones that were NOT offered recently at my sale last month.

Jeff - you got that fancy camera for X-mas, how about some pre-auction photos getting posted? :eek:

Moose,what varieties are you bringing to the auction. Inquiring minds want to know :)

Mike - just a few - nothing mind blowing. My focus has been to take care of what I have in the ground and get more planted. Easier to maintain in the ground. I've also have put down 18 pick-up truck loads of mulch since Dec. 15th. Unfortunately I need more mulch. No irrigation system in the Moose Land, therefore hand watering is my practice. Almost all air layers from last year are gone - too much to take care of. There are 198 different varieties in the ground - most looking pretty decent.

Air layers will eventually be made on a limited basis. I want my crotons to acentuate my life, not to consume it.

Mike - just a few - nothing mind blowing. My focus has been to take care of what I have in the ground and get more planted. Easier to maintain in the ground. I've also have put down 18 pick-up truck loads of mulch since Dec. 15th. Unfortunately I need more mulch. No irrigation system in the Moose Land, therefore hand watering is my practice. Almost all air layers from last year are gone - too much to take care of. There are 198 different varieties in the ground - most looking pretty decent.

Air layers will eventually be made on a limited basis. I want my crotons to acentuate my life, not to consume it.

"I want my crotons to accentuate my life, not to consume it" :rolleyes: A little late to think about Ron, don't ya think???

I'll be bringing an Orange Mona Lisa? and a Milky Way. I can bring a Tiger Eye if anyone is interested.

The west coast contingent will be voyaging over in Perry's Sealand cargo ship aka pickup truck instead of the Queen Mary so we'll be bringing more plants:
2 - 3 gal Col Gilbert Cutler
1 - 3 gal Caution Light
1 - 3 gal Madame Butterfly
1 - 3 gal Interuptum
1 - 3 gal Fishbone
1 - 1 gal Piecrust
1 - 3 gal Victoria Goldbell
1 - 1 gal Claude Lorraine

Marie's Orange Mona Lisa and Phil's Caution Light will be a welcome addition to my garden .I will need to have a word with the auctioneer before the bidding starts :)

The west coast contingent will be voyaging over in Perry's Sealand cargo ship aka pickup truck instead of the Queen Mary so we'll be bringing more plants:
2 - 3 gal Col Gilbert Cutler
1 - 3 gal Caution Light
1 - 3 gal Madame Butterfly
1 - 3 gal Interuptum
1 - 3 gal Fishbone
1 - 1 gal Piecrust
1 - 3 gal Victoria Goldbell
1 - 1 gal Claude Lorraine

It would be nice if someone had a Challenger to bring to bring to the auction.Thanks

I may have one or two, rather small ones. Will check tomorrow and bring one if available. Also bringing a couple of Gonzalez, two Helen Edges and possibly a few others as well.

Went through the container ranch this morning. Pulled 9 plants that look OK. But I am also bringing a bunch of three gallon containers (non-croton) that I am sure will draw alot of attention at the Auction. Spent all morning preparing the material. :p

Attachments

• WF 3.gif
    WF 3.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 306
Went through the container ranch this morning. Pulled 9 plants that look OK. But I am also bringing a bunch of three gallon containers (non-croton) that I am sure will draw alot of attention at the Auction. Spent all morning preparing the material. :p