Can anyone ID?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
I found this Colocasia in a croton growing as a volunteer. It was really entrenched in all those croton roots. After the seperation, all its leaves turned to mush and I thought this plant was done. It has recovered nicely. Anyone know the species name?

Attachments

• Colocasia sp 1.JPG
    Colocasia sp 1.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 275
  • Colocasia sp 1.JPG
    Colocasia sp 1.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 288
  • Colocasia sp 2.JPG
    Colocasia sp 2.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 280
Wow-there are so many Colocasias with vivid red petioles. It may prove a bit easier to ID when it grows up-but there are so many selections available that a precise ID could prove to be impossible (especially with nurserymen pirating varieties and making their own cultivar names).

I found this Colocasia in a croton growing as a volunteer. It was really entrenched in all those croton roots. After the seperation, all its leaves turned to mush and I thought this plant was done. It has recovered nicely. Anyone know the species name?

Moose just a thought, where did you get the croton? There could be more at that location and some info.

Moose just a thought, where did you get the croton? There could be more at that location and some info.

I've already posted this on Palm Talk. Now there is a debate as to if its Colocasia or an Alocasia there. The person from whom I got the croton from visits here from time to time. Was hoping they would notice this thread and render a verdict. ;)

Upper color on the upper (towards the leaf) petiole (1st two)

Last photo is of petiole of oldest leaf - not as colorful

Attachments

• Alo-Colo 5.JPG
    Alo-Colo 5.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 255
  • Alo-Colo 6.JPG
    Alo-Colo 6.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 257
  • Alo-Colo 7.JPG
    Alo-Colo 7.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 247