Jakfruit 2.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 246
  • Jakfruit 3.JPG
    Jakfruit 3.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 273
  • Jakfruit 4.JPG
    Jakfruit 4.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 251
Great!!!! Perhaps you will eventually get some 80 pound fruit! How tall is your tree?

David - About 18 foot. It got "cold pruned" on the top during the winter of 2010. The base of the trunk is only 6 inches diameter so its not very large yet. I suspect the fruits will stay kinda "smallish" due to the youth of the tree. Hey, but what do I really know - this is a first time experience. :D

How do you know when the fruit is ready for consumption? I've heard it can be cooked too. Any experiences with Jakfruit, anyone ? :confused:

Attachments

• Jakfruit 1.JPG
    Jakfruit 1.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 234
  • Jakfruit 2.JPG
    Jakfruit 2.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 227
  • Jakfruit 3.JPG
    Jakfruit 3.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 224
Updated photos. I've learned recently that the fruit gets really stinky when ripe. Actually the true fruits which are inside don't stink. Just the exterior rind gets rank. :eek:

Here is a good link for those wanting to cultivate Jak Fruit in Florida: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg370

Attachments

• Jak Fruit 3.JPG
    Jak Fruit 3.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 228
  • Jak Fruit 4.JPG
    Jak Fruit 4.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 218
  • Jak Fruit 5.JPG
    Jak Fruit 5.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 202
  • skunk.jpg
    skunk.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 219
Right on! I never noticed any stink on Jakfruit. Durian,is another story. I thought Jakfruit was sweet..even syrupy. Sort of in a Pineapple/Monstera vein and taste.
They also sell it by slices locally..or whole if you want to make an investment on a 40 pound fruit. Some do I guess, for them to sell it like that.

Keep us updated - I want a full report on whether you would recommend planting and eating the fruit of this tree. I have always wondered if it is more of a "novelty."

Dean - admittedly it was planted for the novelty of the huge fruit. While attending an Orchid show at Fruit & Spice Park in the Redlands, there were specimen trees with some fruit as large as 70 lbs, perhaps even larger. Related to Bread Fruit, it is often cooked in Asia. My preference when consuming fruit is to eat it ripened. The experience with last years harvest was that it is not an easy fruit to clean. It develops multiple pods (each containing a seed) with the main stem containing thick latex. Your knives need to be oiled down to prevent adhering and the use of latex gloves a must.

It has an interesting flavor that is difficult to describe. I cut one up for the employees at work to sample. There was no middle ground, they either loved it or hated it. My bias is there is a bit of work involved to get to the succulent fruit pods, not sure if the flavor warrants the effort. I may try cooking to see if that is easier to prep.