Syagrus

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I really have not paid attention to this palm over the years, but I was working around this palm last week and noticed something strange. The seed look diffrent from the other S.romanzoffiana I have. Pic #1 seed with fruit Pic#2 cleaned seed (L) compared with another S. rom seed (R) Pic #3 base of palm with mans large size Croc. Pic #4 pushing out new spathe.

Attachments

• picresized_th_1235428831_IMG_0150.jpg
    picresized_th_1235428831_IMG_0150.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 261
  • picresized_th_1235428958_IMG_0148.jpg
    picresized_th_1235428958_IMG_0148.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 266
  • picresized_th_1235429094_IMG_0152.jpg
    picresized_th_1235429094_IMG_0152.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 249
  • picresized_th_1235431065_IMG_0155.jpg
    picresized_th_1235431065_IMG_0155.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 242
and best shot I can get of the frond... and another pic of seed looking just like little Coconuts.

Attachments

• picresized_th_1235431185_IMG_0156.jpg
    picresized_th_1235431185_IMG_0156.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 260
  • picresized_th_1235434582_IMG_0150.jpg
    picresized_th_1235434582_IMG_0150.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 268
Scott,

I could be way off base, but are you aware of the palm Syagrus pseudococcus? Named for, I would assume, seeds resembling coconuts.

Take a look in Palmpedia. There is a real clear Hi-Res photo there of green seed that you may be able to compare with yours.

What do you think?
S. pseudococcus

Scott,

I could be way off base, but are you aware of the palm Syagrus pseudococcus? Named for, I would assume, seeds resembling coconuts.

Take a look in Palmpedia. There is a real clear Hi-Res photo there of green seed that you may be able to compare with yours.

What do you think?
S. pseudococcus

I was thinking the same, but what I have read S.pseudococcus has a broad base. I am thinking it may be a hybrid of S.pseudococos, with S. romanzoffiana. I opened all the seed and they are hollow, but then the seed are old. I will be watching the flowering and seed close this year. I will try to cross a Butia with pollen from it this year also.

Another shot in the dark here Scott. You also have a multiheaded S. romanzofiana. Have these palms been routinely exposed to any of the 2,4,d acid group herbicides. Maybe fallout from nearby spraying? or even hurricane Charley? The reason I ask is the new spathe looks mechanically deformed, maybe as a result of nute issues or chemical stunting storm damage etc.. The sterile seed may suggest a hybrid though.... Hmm? Perhaps post new flower and a broad perspective of this plant. I am a Syagrus nut and am interested in the mystery here. An interesting related aside; The Syagrus romanzofiana used to be called Cocos plumosa, then Arecestrum romanofianum\a? and finally dissolved to Syagrus. The point being I guess is that early botanists were misled by the resemblance to Cocos.

The palms have not had any herbicide spraying. The spathe looks funky in the picture,but that is due to spathe was opening and had split from the top. No Charley damage here.

I'm glad there was no Charley your way a few years back. We felt that one all the way over here. I lost a queen palm to Jean in '05 (thank you Jean). We actually had a lot of double header queens come from the twin hurricanes of '05. The reason I mentioned the herbicide is that in an article published in the journal of
Palms last year, the author noted the leaning crown syndrome, multiheaded forms among other things as being caused be some of the selective herbicides. If someone in your immediate area has a practice of using those things maybe that could have an impact on your trees. I went out and looked at my young pseudococcos, it is too young to compare to an adult rom.. Again I am just offering some more far fetched theories as to the possible variation in habit or form of the tree you posted. If you're ever motivated take some more pics of this tree. Good growing to you! If you ever head over to Vero let me know and I'll give you some locations to check out. -Justin P.S. I just took a photo tour of your property. I can assume you don't have to worry about overspray issues. Thats a big spread! Nice pics. Was this mystery Syagrus in the spread?

Justin, The mystery Syagrus is not in any of the pics due to its growing location. A total picture of this palm is impossible. I was looking at the female flowers now open on the palm and they look larger than those on the other S.rom.. Scott

Keep me posted this summer Scott. I am curious to know if its throwing viable seed. Most of our inter-Syagrus hybrids are self sterile. And from what I've read they can only be outbred to another species or backcrossed to the parent species. And if they are viable and you think they are not roms then I would offer to swap with you. If your in CFPACS perhaps we can exchange stuff at one of the late year meetings. Thanks for taking the time to share this info with me. As I mentioned before I am into Syagrus. I think I now have sixteen species going on around here. We'll stay in touch! -Justin