Mainlanders....keep an eye on the upcoming weekend's forecast

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
The forecast models are suggesting this coming weekend will be the coldest of the winter so far. Despite the lack of cool weather this season, the plants are hardened off to the shorter days and lack of heat. This should be less significant to the plants than a similar cold front occurring in December or early January.

Hey Ray,

Not sure about the cold tundra your in, but my evening weather reports for this upcoming weekend projects mid 50's for a low on sunday and monday mornings. Are we still living in the same state?

Long range models shows strong North winds Saturday night/Sunday.

from nws melbourne Monday afternoon discussion:

WEEKEND...A REINFORCING FRONT IS FORECAST TO PUSH OFF THE EAST
COAST AND STRONG HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS IN BRINGING NOTICEABLY
COLDER AND DRIER AIR SAT NIGHT/SUNDAY WITH LOWS IN THE UPPER 30S
MUCH OF THE INTERIOR AND HIGHS IN THE 60S.

From the NWS Miami office:

"....THEREFORE...HIGHS THIS WEEKEND IS FORECAST TO BE IN THE UPPER 70S
TO NEAR 80 ON SATURDAY...AND AROUND 70 ON SUNDAY. LOWS ON SUNDAY
MORNING SHOULD BE IN THE 40S EXCEPT 50S EAST COAST METRO AREAS
AND AROUND 40 WEST OF LAKE OKEECHOBEE...AND ON MONDAY MORNING BE
IN THE 40S...EXCEPT LOWER TO MID 50S SOUTHEAST COAST AND UPPER 30S
WEST OF LAKE OKEECHOBEE. HOWEVER...REMEMBER THAT IT COULD BE 5 TO 10
DEGREES COLDER OR WARMER THAN FORECAST AT THIS TIME DUE TO THE
SPREAD IN THE ENSEMBLE MODELS GUIDANCE. SO CONTINUE TO CHECK THE
LATEST FORECAST THROUGHOUT THE WEEK FOR THIS WEEKEND TEMPERATURES.
"

My morning temps were 42. Patrick afb is closest wx station to me and about two miles away:

7pm Sunday morning:

EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA

CITY TMP
ORMOND BEACH 32
DAYTONA BEACH 33
NEW SMYRNA BEA 34
JFK SPACE CTR 38
TITUSVILLE 36
CAPE CANAVERAL 40
PATRICK AFB 42
MELBOURNE 38
VERO BEACH 39
FT PIERCE 40

41F here this morning so the winter is still free of 30 something degree temps. That streak will likely end tonight. As Moose said, hydrated plants are tougher. Add to that the late nature of this cold snap. By late February, plants (in central Florida at least) have been hardened off by the shorter days and cool temperatures so these temps are preferred now over early December or even early January. The air mass is said to be very dry by the NWS so frost is unlikely.

Low of 40f this morning. I am going to roll the dice for tonight. No coverings for the crotons.

Good news! No frost, no freeze no problem. Recorded a low of 34.6f on my weather station.

Hey Moose, I will take my chances with the temp's, please bring on the RAIN. I have been working with the city for three weeks on a new meter for irrigation, the new pipes are in just no water. Ooooothe wheel of government.

The forecast was spot on. I am showing some damage on some of the crotons. Not singularly affected by the cold. Combination of cooler dry brisk winds are messing up my newer leaves that have not hardened off. Will grow out of it with no problems.

How low did the rest of you go???

47f here in Davie,no problems for my plants.I am guessing this is it for this year.Another very warm winter for 3 consecutive years.Lowest temp recorded this winter 47f (hit on two occasions).