Elaine?

Jerry Shilling

03/12/10
I was fortunate to get this one at a Searle sale. Judy and I doubt it is Elaine. In any case...one of my favorites. Photos are from July to present.

Attachments

• photo.JPGelaine0.jpg
    photo.JPGelaine0.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 99
  • photo.JPGelaine1.jpg
    photo.JPGelaine1.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 96
  • photo.JPGelaine2.jpg
    photo.JPGelaine2.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 95
  • photo.JPGelaine3.jpg
    photo.JPGelaine3.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 91
  • photo.JPGelaine5.jpg
    photo.JPGelaine5.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 112
  • photo.JPGelaine6.jpg
    photo.JPGelaine6.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 107
Hi Jerry,

That's much prettier than Elaine. I'm not certain what it could be.

Workers knock over plants, stick whatever label back into the pots before Jeff sees and viola - look at the nice Elaine that Jerry came away with! LOL ;)

Jeff - stop hitting your head, I am sure Jerry will give you a rooted cutting back. After my air layer of course ... :rolleyes:

Workers knock over plants, stick whatever label back into the pots before Jeff sees and viola - look at the nice Elaine that Jerry came away with! LOL ;)

Jeff - stop hitting your head, I am sure Jerry will give you a rooted cutting back. After my air layer of course ... :rolleyes:

Moose - I didn't pick that plant up until late in the morning. I'm not sure why it didn't collect a discerning eye from one of us earlier. I will get some going and make them available at the meetings.

Definitely NOT Elaine. I'd bet on a well-grown Col. Bob Bullock due to leaf size if they are as large as they appear.

I can not rule out Colonel Bob Bullock but I have some doubts. The colonel is very uncommon and they are very limited in number at the Searle sale. It is very unlikely that the few colonels go mixed up. Not Elaine, not really sure what it is. All I know is that a cultivar like that deserves a place in the Mooseland. :eek:

I thought I would bump this thread for another look. Since my original post, Jeff has been here and seen it first hand and is stumped. Though he doubts it's Elaine, he will not rule it out. In any case, this guy is a solid performer and deserves a name at some point down the road. First airlayer came off in June & went to Judy. I will put another one on in October. Any ideas...pretty sure it's not Bullock? I'm quite fond of this one.

Attachments

• elaine.a.jpg
    elaine.a.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 83
  • elaine.b.jpg
    elaine.b.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 85
  • elaine.cc.jpg
    elaine.cc.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 83
  • elaine.d.jpg
    elaine.d.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 88
Looks like Bullock to me ??

I thought I would bump this thread for another look. Since my original post, Jeff has been here and seen it first hand and is stumped. Though he doubts it's Elaine, he will not rule it out. In any case, this guy is a solid performer and deserves a name at some point down the road. First airlayer came off in June & went to Judy. I will put another one on in October. Any ideas...pretty sure it's not Bullock? I'm quite fond of this one.

Hi Jerry,

With no doubts in my mind, this is not Elaine nor Col. Bob Bullock. And the sad thing about this, is I really can't put a name on it either. I have Elaine in the yard and a couple in pots. This was an obvious mistake on my part when labeling it, or a wrong tag put on. In either case, I demand a cutting back so I can further my investigation on this mystery plant.

Hi Jerry,

With no doubts in my mind, this is not Elaine nor Col. Bob Bullock. And the sad thing about this, is I really can't put a name on it either. I have Elaine in the yard and a couple in pots. This was an obvious mistake on my part when labeling it, or a wrong tag put on. In either case, I demand a cutting back so I can further my investigation on this mystery plant.

Demand ??? :confused: Reverse caveat emptor Jeff - let the seller beware LOL :D

Buyers remorse? How many looked at the tag and passed on purchasing it that weekend. Alot of remorse they didn't buy it :eek:

I agree with Jeff that it is not Elaine or Col BB. The leaf shape and texture does not like something that would sport from an Elaine; everything is just too different. Most sports seem to have some traits of the parent plant. Having said that, I think it would be a reach to suggest it is a sport from Col BB either. It does not resemble any of the un-named weirdness in my yard. how about posting an occasional pic so we can all see how this one progresses? same for those lucky enough to get an air layer.

Jerry...I would be honored! Lol.

But lets try and figure this thing out(over time). The one thing that intrigue's me about this plant is, if you notice, it has very pretty leaves with nice shoulders( sounds like I'm describing a beautiful woman,huh?) and then there's leaves with no shoulders at all. And of course with your superior growing conditions down in the lower keys, plants take on a totally different look.