Help ID

Kingdavid

Esteemed Member
17/09/12
Need help with ID Bought the plant as a super petra in Tampa 4 years ago , Got froze back 2 years ago it came back looking like this , Leaves are up to 10 inches long, some leaves are covered with spots some dont ....Help me ......

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 68
Got This sport from my oldest Nestor .It always stays the same , it did sport off a shoot that was like the mother plant . But it died .Dont know the name of this plant please help ID David...Thanks

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 62
My grandmother got this plant when my dad was born , it has been transplanted a couple of times , finally ending up at my moms house for the last 49 years . I thought maybe it is a Turkey foot variety but im not sure , the largest leaves are only about 8 or 9 inches , Some of the tips are almost flourecent yellows or magenta red They glow kinda pastel . Thanks for some imput ... Mom says plant is 80 years old . ANTIQUE TURKEY..

Attachments

• 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 093.jpg
    093.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 089.jpg
    089.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 095.jpg
    095.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 80
Need help with ID Bought the plant as a super petra in Tampa 4 years ago , Got froze back 2 years ago it came back looking like this , Leaves are up to 10 inches long, some leaves are covered with spots some dont ....Help me ......

I think this one may be Helen Edge. Initially Perry Edge put the name "Beyond Petra" on it and then later changed it to" Helen Edge".

Ref: the last set of photos. This has got to be an old variety. Some 10+ years ago, the Croton Scoiety got a load of cuttings from a very old small tree in S. St. Pete. It looks similar to, but not quite like, Cranberry. Whatever it is, it is splendid semi-oak leaf variety.

here's two pics taken today of it - more sun gives more pink.

and Happy New Year to all the croton heads out there,

Attachments

• DSCN4154.jpg
    DSCN4154.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN4155.jpg
    DSCN4155.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 81
My grandmother got this plant when my dad was born , it has been transplanted a couple of times , finally ending up at my moms house for the last 49 years . I thought maybe it is a Turkey foot variety but im not sure , the largest leaves are only about 8 or 9 inches , Some of the tips are almost flourecent yellows or magenta red They glow kinda pastel . Thanks for some imput ... Mom says plant is 80 years old . ANTIQUE TURKEY..

David - what a fabulous history to your cultivar. I really don't care what the name is - I want one! The plant looks like it could support several air layers. It is important that this plant is established in several spread out gardens. Hey if some tragedy happened to you plant, you would know where to go to get it re-established in your garden.

Man - I really love the story behind this cultivar. :cool:

Another quick grower, i have no idea what it is tho. leaves are large 9 to 10 inches .The plant is about 3 years old and is 6 foot even growing in a planter.. id help is appreciated . Sorry about so many Questions , have been growing for a while but had no clue what they where .

Attachments

• 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 73
So it looks like on the #1 it is a Helen Edge #2 not sure ....... #3 Norwood beauty or Cranberry #4 dont know ... ? Thanks for the imput on these names Ill post some pictures of one i do know next ..David

Mr. King - it is often very difficult to make an ID with certainty from photos.

Now if you were to host a garden tour - it would attract many a croton maven with "keen croton eyes". ;)

Probably get some fun disagreements too.