Tallest Croton ?

Tallest Croton you have seen ...

• Total voters
Based on my shadehouse which is 15' tall, I would say the tallest I've seen were in the old Richard Krukonis garden.My tallest is a Purity which is about 10' maybe.

My Rheedii is now over 12' tall and the plant it came from is easily 20'. There's a Buddy planted next to it that's almost as tall. I'll take a picture of both of them if the rain stops.

Rheedii from a cutting taken 12 years ago. That's a two-story Bismarck behind it. Tallest section measures just short of 14 feet.

Attachments

• rheedii.jpg
    rheedii.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 163
What is the tallest croton you have seen? :confused:

Post a photo if you got one. ;)

What is the tallest croton in your garden? :confused:

Please post a photo(s).

Hi Moose…attached are a couple of pix re: your “tallest CROTON thread”.
1. YELLOW PETRA (appears to be) : Photo taken in Costa Rica on the Atlantic side of the country in an area called TORTUGERO CANALS (sea level). This cultivar looks like it should fit into your 15 to 18 foot category judging by the rain gutter to the right of the photograph.

2. MORTII: Photo taken in the LA GARITA, ALAJUELA area of Costa Rica (approximately 3000 feet above sea level). Judging by the power lines behind this CROTON…looks like it should fit into the 18 to 20 foot category.
P.S. Have fun with your poll.

Attachments

• 1 YELLOW PETRA.jpg
    1 YELLOW PETRA.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 2 MORTII.jpg
    2 MORTII.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 149
Those are some huge crotons Bob, thanks for posting. I especially love that monster Yellow Petra! :cool:

Here is a tall but not very full Lemon & Lime in my yard.

Attachments

• Lemon & Lime.JPG
    Lemon & Lime.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 140
Thanksgiving, Andreanum and Purity get tall quickly and need air layers often. I have 9 foot tall specimens of each which is an accomplishment in my often inhospitable climate.

Can you prove it? Post some pictures.......Lol!!!

All kidding aside, these three cultivars can become monsters in a short period of time. Take plenty of air layers, and then try to find somebody that wants one.

My Robert Lavalois is my tallest at 10ft. Here are a few assorted pics of some bigguns. I know I have more photos......just have to find them:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC_0072.jpg
    DSC_0072.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 124
Tall crotons are certainly impressive but for me impractical. When we get our freezes, plants air layered and kept 6 foot or below are easier to protect. They are also easier to treat for mites and scale etc.