Croton Layout

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Moving on to the next project. I layed out these crotons yesterday evening for acclimation to the area. I am moving them around to check out how they look from different aspects. Having different leaf shapes and colors help make the individual cultivars stand out in my opinion. Very important to mix the green and yellows in my opinion. I like to walk away and revisit the lay out - seeing if it is working or changes need to be made. Witch ones needing a shadier area needs to be factored in as well. A couple of palms and a mango tree have really filled out giving this area more shade. I would have never have even thought of planting a croton in this once sunny area last year. I have a couple of others where the soil mix was dried out and needed to get soaked. They will be added or switched out. :confused:

Attachments

• Layout 1.JPG
    Layout 1.JPG
    373.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Layout 2.JPG
    Layout 2.JPG
    396.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Layout 3.JPG
    Layout 3.JPG
    418.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Layout 4.JPG
    Layout 4.JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Layout 5.JPG
    Layout 5.JPG
    437 KB · Views: 67
  • Layout 6.JPG
    Layout 6.JPG
    372.1 KB · Views: 64
Looks good,when I move I am going to try plantings of similar colours together and see how it ends up.All pinks in one area,all red in another, etc

Ron...I'm sure it's going to look good. You have a wide range of colors to mix together. The one thing I found out while planting a mass grouping, be careful not to put a small, slow growing variety next to larger leaf, fast growing one. It will get buried from no light, and the faster growing one will crowd it out. Other than that, go at it! The possibilities of new seedlings will be endless!!!

Looks good,when I move I am going to try plantings of similar colours together and see how it ends up.All pinks in one area,all red in another, etc

Mike, That is also my plans for my lower garden that can be viewed from across the lake. I think that like colors together will give a greater color impact viewed from the upper bank.

I have begun collecting the yellows and greens for the yellow and green area for a spring planting. It is a mixture of plants for texture, but this area will have lots of crotons and will be located next to the black area.

Attachments

• IMG_9686.jpg
    IMG_9686.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9703.jpg
    IMG_9703.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9697.jpg
    IMG_9697.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9701.jpg
    IMG_9701.jpg