This one may be Yellow Banana ? :confused:

Attachments

• Yellow Banana 1 FB.JPG
    Yellow Banana 1 FB.JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Yellow Banana 2 FB.JPG
    Yellow Banana 2 FB.JPG
    446.1 KB · Views: 112
This one may be Charles Rutherford? :confused: Sorry about the pictures but the battery was dying - flash no worky very good :(

Attachments

• Charles Rutherford 1 FB.JPG
    Charles Rutherford 1 FB.JPG
    425.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Charles Rutherford 2 FB.JPG
    Charles Rutherford 2 FB.JPG
    454.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Charles Rutherford 3 FB.JPG
    Charles Rutherford 3 FB.JPG
    404.1 KB · Views: 103
Next to the maybe Charles Rutherford - I planted this one that looks as if it may be a Caribbean Star ? :confused:

Attachments

• Caribbean Star 1 FB.JPG
    Caribbean Star 1 FB.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Carribean Star 2 FB.JPG
    Carribean Star 2 FB.JPG
    410.5 KB · Views: 98
Now I started a new area on the flip side (towards the north) from all the previously posted crotons. Trying to keep Grandma company - seen in the far background :p

Attachments

• Row FB.JPG
    Row FB.JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 108
This is an iffy. Jeff Searle feels that it is Caribbean Star. This has been my thinking as well. Over time this plant has produced undulating leaves and a texture along the margins that has created some doubts. Chris Mayhew and I put it next to another Caribbean Star and that is where the question arose. We both felt it was distinct or may be an interesting form of Caribbean Star.

Any thoughts anybody? :confused:

I just finished this area this evening with the detailing. A two inch layer of freshly raked oak leaves was liberally dispersed around these plants. An additional two inch layer of mulch from a Mahogany was placed on top. Hopefully this will aid in keeping the crotons feet warm for the upcoming cold season.

Attachments

• Caribbean Starish 1 FB.JPG
    Caribbean Starish 1 FB.JPG
    379.2 KB · Views: 100
Another interesting unknown from Frank Brown's garden. It looks mostly like a Columbiana but I am not 100% convinced. Any ideas, opinions or thoughts? :confused:

Attachments

• Columbianaish 1 FB.JPG
    Columbianaish 1 FB.JPG
    404.7 KB · Views: 91
I suspect that this unknown from Frank Brown's garden may be Mammie ? :confused: Spoke with Keith just the other day. Keith recallls that the Mammie cultivar was developed by (forgot the name - help Keith!) in Bradenton, FL by crossing a Gloriosa with a Tortilis.

Attachments

• Mammieish 1 FB.JPG
    Mammieish 1 FB.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 88
Would love to know if this could be ID'd? :confused:

Updated photo of Unknown #5 from Dr. B. Frank Brown's garden: Looks even better in person. :cool:

Wow - Unknown #5 is really coloring up with some very vibrant orange colors ! :cool:

Photos taken this morning.

Attachments

• Orange 1.JPG
    Orange 1.JPG
    428.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Orange 2.JPG
    Orange 2.JPG
    447 KB · Views: 97
  • Orange 3.JPG
    Orange 3.JPG
    465.2 KB · Views: 92
Now I started a new area on the flip side (towards the north) from all the previously posted crotons. Trying to keep Grandma company - seen in the far background :p

Here are some better shots taken this morning

Attachments

• row 1.JPG
    row 1.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 101
  • row 2.JPG
    row 2.JPG
    406 KB · Views: 99
  • row 3.JPG
    row 3.JPG
    416.1 KB · Views: 106
  • row 4.JPG
    row 4.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 108
Next to the maybe Charles Rutherford - I planted this one that looks as if it may be a Caribbean Star ? :confused:
These were added as a continuation of the bed with 11 other crotons of the Frank Brown collection.

Attachments

• Car Star 1.JPG
    Car Star 1.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Car Star group 1.JPG
    Car Star group 1.JPG
    393.6 KB · Views: 100
This is an iffy. Jeff Searle feels that it is Caribbean Star. This has been my thinking as well. Over time this plant has produced undulating leaves and a texture along the margins that has created some doubts. Chris Mayhew and I put it next to another Caribbean Star and that is where the question arose. We both felt it was distinct or may be an interesting form of Caribbean Star.

Any thoughts anybody? :confused:

I just finished this area this evening with the detailing. A two inch layer of freshly raked oak leaves was liberally dispersed around these plants. An additional two inch layer of mulch from a Mahogany was placed on top. Hopefully this will aid in keeping the crotons feet warm for the upcoming cold season.

Some better pictures taken this morning

Attachments

• Car Star A1.JPG
    Car Star A1.JPG
    456.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Car Star A2.JPG
    Car Star A2.JPG
    470.5 KB · Views: 97
I suspect that this unknown from Frank Brown's garden may be Mammie ? :confused: Spoke with Keith just the other day. Keith recallls that the Mammie cultivar was developed by (forgot the name - help Keith!) in Bradenton, FL by crossing a Gloriosa with a Tortilis.

Some better pics taken this morning

Attachments

• Mam 1.JPG
    Mam 1.JPG
    469.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Mam 2.JPG
    Mam 2.JPG
    437.5 KB · Views: 92
This is the last Unknown from Frank Brown's garden to be planted. I'm letting it acclimate and develope its root system further. Perhaps during the Thanksgiving holiday break. Keith has stated that this may be the cultivar Mike Fascell. :cool:

Attachments

• Mike Fascell 1.JPG
    Mike Fascell 1.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 103
  • Mike Fascell 2.JPG
    Mike Fascell 2.JPG
    401.4 KB · Views: 105
Ron,
The croton in post 36 looks a lot like my Mike Ferrer. I hope that Keith sees this so he can weigh in. When you come by, bring a leaf so we can compare them.
Marie

Marie - Judy and I were looking at Jeff's Mike Ferrer at his sale yesterday. It was smallish and the leaves have yet developed into their true potential. But the coloration and leaf shape looked very simular in my opinion. I will mark my tag with Mike Ferrer? for now - its the only lead I've got on an ID for this plant. Would be nice if Jeff could post a photo of his large Mike Ferrer. ;)

Judy - are you paying attention? Randy really loved this croton on his last visit to the Moose Land - he is on top of the list for its first air layer. :)