COSTA RICAN CROTON WANDERINGS WITH ROBERTICO (PART 3)

donroberth

19/07/09
1. Welcome to the cul-de-sac VILLA SUEÑOS. I happened upon this 150 yard dead-end street several years ago and decided to return in order to “reshot” several interesting CROTON gardening features.

2. VEITCHII: Entering the cul-de-sac with a VEITCHII positioned on the left- hand side.

Attachments

• 1 VILLA SUEÑOS CUL-DE-SAC.jpg
    1 VILLA SUEÑOS CUL-DE-SAC.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 2 VEITCHII.jpg
    2 VEITCHII.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 139
3. JOHANNIS: This double-header has been pruned into mini-tree shapes with an African-Tulip tree (Flame-of-the-Forest) in the far back-round.

4. Example of how some home owners display their street-side gardens in CROTON groupings.

Attachments

• 3 JOHANNIS MINI-TREES.jpg
    3 JOHANNIS MINI-TREES.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 4 CROTON GROUPINGS.jpg
    4 CROTON GROUPINGS.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 172
5. SEMI-OAK LEAF: I.D. ME PLEASE…perhaps VAN BUREN on page 19 in CROTONS OF THE WORLD ???

6 GREEN AND YELLOW EXPLOSION: MORTII top-left, OVALIFOLIUM right side and GOLD DUST bottom left.

Attachments

• 5 SEMI OAK LEAF.jpg
    5 SEMI OAK LEAF.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 6  GREEN AND YELLOW EXPLOSION.jpg
    6 GREEN AND YELLOW EXPLOSION.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 128
7. OVALIFOLIUM: Standing alone in front of a green curtain displaying its beautiful leaf colors…see close-up insert.

8. THREE IN ONE: Eye-catching CROTON cluster…OVALIFOLIUM top left, STEWARTTII top right and VEITCHII at the bottom.

Attachments

• 7 OVALIFOLIUM.jpg
    7 OVALIFOLIUM.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 127
  • 8 CROTON CLUSTER.jpg
    8 CROTON CLUSTER.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 146
9. BRAVO: Showing-off its bold red and black leaves.

10.BUDDY: Insert demonstrates all the exceptional colors and forms of the leaf’s transformation to maturity (top-left corner)…a kaleidoscope of colors in green, yellow, red, orange and black!

Attachments

• 9 BRAVO.jpg
    9 BRAVO.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 10 BUDDY.jpg
    10 BUDDY.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 144
11.STOPLIGHT: Stunning at this stage of its metamorphosis…another of my favorites.

12.STOPLIGHT: Top view exhibiting its distinctive, mature red and black foliage.

Attachments

• 11  STOPLIGHT.jpg
    11 STOPLIGHT.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 248
  • 12 STOPLIGHT'S MATURE LEAVES.jpg
    12 STOPLIGHT'S MATURE LEAVES.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 136
13.PETRA and GENERAL PAGET (left to right): Although I included this photograph in my first CROTON WANDERINGS submittance…it has been resubmitted with its neighbors so they don’t get their feelings hurt, lol !

14.STEWARTTII: An outstanding specimen as you exit the cul-de-sac.

Attachments

• 13 PETRA-GENERAL PAGET.jpg
    13 PETRA-GENERAL PAGET.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 14 STEWARTTII.jpg
    14 STEWARTTII.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 137
Great pictures! I always enjoy your wanderings. The first photo of Stoplight in post #6 is to die for, I am going to go pull mine up now.

Hi guys...

-Scott
-Sergey
-Bullwinkle
-Palm Island

Thanks for your thoughtful compliments re:"CROTON WANDERINGS". Not only do I enjoy putting them together but its a "heck" of a learning experience. As I have said before, I'm not the person to ask if it has to do with a Croton I.D...further more, I'm just learning the basic leaf shape categories :confused: !!!

:confused:
Bob - #5 has looks to be an AFD creation. Not really sure which one ? :confused:

How large are those leaves ?

Moose…sorry about the delay in answering your question regarding the I.D. requested in my last COSTA RICAN CROTON WANDERINGS submission.

The leaf is 11 to 12 inches long including petiole and 4.5 to 5 inches wide at its shoulders. Also, I have included a cultivar in my garden which resembles the Croton in question very much and its leaves are about 5-10 % smaller.

Fotos 1 and 2 is the CROTON (CR WANDERINGS) in search of a name. I.D. me... please…:confused:

Attachments

• 1 SEMI-OAK LEAF CLOSE-UP.jpg
    1 SEMI-OAK LEAF CLOSE-UP.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 2 SEMI-OAK LEAF.jpg
    2 SEMI-OAK LEAF.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 108
Fotos 3 and 4 is a similar cultivar, also with crimson red petioles in my garden. Any help in identifying this CROTON would be appreciated…many thx in advance.

Attachments

• 3 SEMI-OAK LEAF CLOSE-UP.jpg
    3 SEMI-OAK LEAF CLOSE-UP.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 4 SEMI-OAK LEAF.jpg
    4 SEMI-OAK LEAF.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 122
Robert, Your first mystery croton in post #3 looks like what I have as Caribbean Star. Your second one has a similar leaf shape & could be the same with different light...........I don't really know.