Some other recent plantings ...

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
This Bravo I got from Bullwinkle. I said, "I'm gonna" get it planted for some time. I kept it in a one gallon rather than step it up for that reason. I spent more time uprighting it than it took me to get it planted. I think it looks happy now. :eek:

Attachments

• Bravo.JPG
    Bravo.JPG
    308.3 KB · Views: 83
Next is a way overgrown Golden Glow that was in a three gallon. It kept getting blown over as well. It was planted yesterday morning. :)

Attachments

• Golden Glow.JPG
    Golden Glow.JPG
    370.8 KB · Views: 82
Moose...is the BRAVO foto that you have attached a common cultivar or the one that develops dark purple/black leaves? I have a common Bravo that has developed a huge black leaved sport. Give me a couple of days but if you like I can send you a foto and attach it to this tread?

Moose...is the BRAVO foto that you have attached a common cultivar or the one that develops dark purple/black leaves? I have a common Bravo that has developed a huge black leaved sport. Give me a couple of days but if you like I can send you a foto and attach it to this tread?

Bob - I had this one growing in some pretty heavy shade. It appears to be coloring up now that its getting more sun exposure. Th acidic soil amendments and fertilizer may be aiding the coloring up process as well.

Post your photos and let us get a look at yours. :)

Here is another recent planting, C.I. Craigin. It was too sunny last Sunday so the pictures did not come out well. Overcast today - so here it is.

Planted from a one gallon container. Big plant kept getting blown over and soil would dry out. She looks much happier now. :eek:

Attachments

• C.I. Craigin.JPG
    C.I. Craigin.JPG
    381.1 KB · Views: 78
This Bravo I got from Bullwinkle. I said, "I'm gonna" get it planted for some time. I kept it in a one gallon rather than step it up for that reason. I spent more time uprighting it than it took me to get it planted. I think it looks happy now. :eek:

I do not have a Bravo, but I do have a few Magnificent that is said to be a sport from Bravo. Your plant looks a lot like Magnificent.

I do not have a Bravo, but I do have a few Magnificent that is said to be a sport from Bravo. Your plant looks a lot like Magnificent.

Scott - Magnificent typically has larger leaves than Bravo. The coloring on this plant may be a case of too much shading. The leaves are more Bravo sized. However, I have been noticing another Bravo I have in a container having more pronounced veining colors. I guess time will tell.

Here is another recent planting. Sunny Star I got from Bullwinkle. I left it in the 3 gallon container too long meaning to "get to it". Was so packed with roots that I had to soak in a bucket of water at least once a week to keep it hydrated. Top heavy, it was getting toppled over in even light winds. Got it planted out in the swale getting full sun very near to the C.I. Craigin.

Attachments

• Sunny Star.JPG
    Sunny Star.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 82

Ron,

Your plant looks aweful green and black for being a Bravo. I only say this because Bravo seems to sport alot of non-color branches on it. You know more than us if like you said, it's starting to color up, but if it dosen't produce lots of colors in 2-3 months, I would consider replacing it with another one. Which I have plenty and would gladly give you one. Keep us inform.

FOTO #1: MOOSE…I submitted this foto for an I.D. a couple years ago and someone suggested it could be a purple-black BRAVO. If your BRAVO doesn’t color up you may have this one … (KENTUCKY upper right of pic).

FOTO #2: Close-up.

Attachments

• 1 GREEN-PURPLE BLACK BRAVO.jpg
    1 GREEN-PURPLE BLACK BRAVO.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 2) GREEN- PURPLE BLACK BRAVO.jpg
    2) GREEN- PURPLE BLACK BRAVO.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 75
FOTO #3: BRAVO sprouting a green and black sport. FOTO #4: A closer look.

Attachments

• 3) GREEN-PURPLE BRAVO SPORT.jpg
    3) GREEN-PURPLE BRAVO SPORT.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 4) GREEN- PURPLE BRAVO SPORT.jpg
    4) GREEN- PURPLE BRAVO SPORT.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 83
Bob - thanks for posting the pictures. I think it looks good. On the close up photos it looks like some veins may be showing up on the new growth flush. :cool:

Scott - after your post, I look at this croton daily. It is coloring up but only with splotches. I'm really unsure about this ID now. ou may even have got it right - time will tell. :confused:

I had to share this one. Here is a Magnificent growing in a full sun location in a local shopping center.

Attachments

• IMG_8988.jpg
    IMG_8988.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 58
  • picresized_th_1346502346_IMG_8989.jpg
    picresized_th_1346502346_IMG_8989.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 68
  • picresized_th_1346502460_IMG_8990.jpg
    picresized_th_1346502460_IMG_8990.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 80