THE COSTA RICAN CROTON WANDERINGS OF ROBERTICO (PART TWO)

donroberth

19/07/09
The first 4 pix in this 15 photo essay are, as I like to call them, SPARTAN or LOW MAINTENANCE GARDENS. I am again naming most of the CROTONS submitted for your enjoyment. If any are tagged incorrectly :confused:, please chime in and correct me…you won’t hurt my feelings.

1. BARON JAMES DE ROTHCHILD: Need a name confirmation or is it something else entirely :confused: …help please.

2. ANDREANUM: Rustically displayed.

Attachments

• 1 Baron Rothchild.jpg
    1 Baron Rothchild.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 2 ANDREANUM.jpg
    2 ANDREANUM.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 108
3. NAME UNKNOWN: Need an I.D. please :confused:...leaves turn black when mature.

4. EDWIN T. MEREDITH: Not SUNRAY or WEISMANI…red petioles evident so it must be a “MEREDITH” :confused:.

Attachments

• 3 UNKNOWN.jpg
    3 UNKNOWN.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 4 EDWIN T MEREDITH.jpg
    4 EDWIN T MEREDITH.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 98
5. EXCELLENT: A vigorous blotched sport shown on the upper left of this plant.

6. PETRA: One of the cultivars that turned me into a CROTON HEAD…lol.

Attachments

• 5 EXCELLENT+BLOTCHED SPORT.jpg
    5 EXCELLENT+BLOTCHED SPORT.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 6 PETRA.jpg
    6 PETRA.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 113
7. DAYSPRING: One of my favorites.

8. LYRATUM: A nice home garden featuring LYRATA as an eye-catcher.

Attachments

• 7 DAYSPRING.jpg
    7 DAYSPRING.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 8 LYRATUM aka LYRATA.jpg
    8 LYRATUM aka LYRATA.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 114
9. BUDDY: A stand out beauty in this stone and green setting.

10. GENERAL PAGET: Large specimen displayed in front of this country home.

Attachments

• 9 BUDDY.jpg
    9 BUDDY.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 10 GENERAL PAGET.jpg
    10 GENERAL PAGET.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 102
11. OVALIFOLIUM: The "official greeter” as you pass through the gate of this country home.

12. GOLD DUST: Found in a commercial Coat Rican palm nursery.

Attachments

• 11 OVALIFOLIUM-OREJA DE CHANCHO IN C.R. SPANISH.jpg
    11 OVALIFOLIUM-OREJA DE CHANCHO IN C.R. SPANISH.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 12 GOLD DUST.JPG
    12 GOLD DUST.JPG
    497.2 KB · Views: 96
13. PUNCTATUM, MACULATUM KATONI and FRED SANDERS (bottom-center): Photo taken in the green and yellow section of ROBERTICO’S GARDEN.

14. MULTICOLOR: ROBERTICO’S GARDEN.

15. F.D. ROOSEVELT: ROBERTICO’S GARDEN…another of my many “favorites”.

Attachments

• 13 PUNCTATUM-MACULATUM KATONI.jpg
    13 PUNCTATUM-MACULATUM KATONI.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 14 MULTICOLOR.jpg
    14 MULTICOLOR.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 15 FD ROOSEVELT.jpg
    15 FD ROOSEVELT.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 114
Robert great pictures once again. Are there many Ti plants growing in Costa Rica?

Thanks for pics.The first one is a beauty??It is a looker but I wonder if this is Excellent??Whatever it is, I want it :)

5. EXCELLENT: A vigorous blotched sport shown on the upper left of this plant.

6. PETRA: One of the cultivars that turned me into a CROTON HEAD…lol.

Hi Robert,
I seriously doubt the Lyrata, it just dosen't have the right leaf shape.

Jeff...thanks for your constructive comment. I'm attaching a couple of enlargements...one of the cultivar I submitted as Lyratum and the Lyratum photo in the Croton Society Wiki, also enlarged. The leaves certainly look similar but I'm no expert...any suggestions ???

Attachments

• 10 DSC01445A.jpg
    10 DSC01445A.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 10 DSC01446 LyrataC.jpg
    10 DSC01446 LyrataC.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 106
Thanks for pics.The first one is a beauty??It is a looker but I wonder if this is Excellent??Whatever it is, I want it :)

Thanks Bullwinkle...if your refering to my photo #5, the green leaves to the bottom-right is an EXCELLENT but the blotched sport shown on the upper left is quite unique..."purtifull" !!! The lady that owns this plant is a friend of mine and offered me a cutting but I suggested an air layer and she had no problem with that. Got to go back with all my surgical tools...lol.

Robertico - I need to complement you on your ID's. It is a difficult task to learn cultivars from photos. Plus I think the Costa Rican climate can cause the cultivars to look different than say those grown in Florida.

I have spent countless hours looking at tons of crotons. My certainty is usually limited to those cultivars I have in the Moose Land. Going to Marie Nock's place makes my head hurt - croton overload. :eek:

You have come along way my friend! ;) Are you ever going to bless us with a visit to the States?

Ron :)

This Buddy grouping is wonderful

My Buddy(s) never have the great orange color that these have or the orange colored ones pictured in the Wiki. What kind of sun conditions are needed for the great orange color? I have a few planted in late afternoon sun and one in halfday sun and have no orange.