30 Ft Dypsis cabadae

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Got this Dypsis cabadae as a single stem one gallon palm in Nov. 1993. Planted it Spring 1994. Now has 4 stems, tallest is @ 30 ft. Last two photos are of crown shafts taken from the roof top. I no longer harvest seed from this bad boy. :)

Attachments

• Dypsis cabadae 1.JPG
    Dypsis cabadae 1.JPG
    420.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Dypsis cabadae 2.JPG
    Dypsis cabadae 2.JPG
    455.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Dypsis cabadae 3.JPG
    Dypsis cabadae 3.JPG
    384.5 KB · Views: 4
These are really beaqutiful underutilized palms. I confess, I don't have one.

And as I understand it, they have an interesting story. Never found in the wild in Madagascar. Discovered from cultivated plants elsewhere. Now, what's up with that? Do I have my story correct?

These are really beaqutiful underutilized palms. I confess, I don't have one.

And as I understand it, they have an interesting story. Never found in the wild in Madagascar. Discovered from cultivated plants elsewhere. Now, what's up with that? Do I have my story correct?

The story goes that all material in cultivation came from a single palm in Cienfuegos, Cuba from the garden of Dr. Cabada. Interesting that the seed is very small and does not keep its viability very long. It must be presumed that Dr. Cabada's palm made its way as a plant via ship, there was not airplanes invented yet.

They knew it was a Dypsis via genetics, but proved elusive in its native habitat. I believe they may have found a remnant population on an island off the coast of Madagascar. The name of the island escapes my foggy brain this morning. :eek:

The story goes that all material in cultivation came from a single palm in Cienfuegos, Cuba from the garden of Dr. Cabada. Interesting that the seed is very small and does not keep its viability very long. It must be presumed that Dr. Cabada's palm made its way as a plant via ship, there was not airplanes invented yet.

They knew it was a Dypsis via genetics, but proved elusive in its native habitat. I believe they may have found a remnant population on an island off the coast of Madagascar. The name of the island escapes my foggy brain this morning. :eek:

Dr Cabada? Nice one Ron, now drink more of that kool aid. Your right about it coming out of Cuba, but Dr Cabada?

Dr Cabada? Nice one Ron, now drink more of that kool aid. Your right about it coming out of Cuba, but Dr Cabada?

From An Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms, Riffle & Craft 2003: "Dypsis cabadae is not known in the wild, but its orgin is presumed to be Madagascar. Plants were first identified growing in Cuba. The only common English name seems to be cabada palm. The epithet is a Latinized form of the surname 'Cabada,' honoring a Cuban medical doctor who probably brought the seed from Madagascar and in whose garden the palm was first identified as a seperate and valid species."