This one is going into the ground this weekend! :cool:

Attachments

• The Moth.jpg
    The Moth.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 102
  • The Moth (2).jpg
    The Moth (2).jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 103
The Moth was looking like crap a couple of months ago. The rains and Summer heat and humidity really made this croton jump in growth. :)

Attachments

• The Moth (3).jpg
    The Moth (3).jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 87
  • The Moth (4).jpg
    The Moth (4).jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 86
Ron, The Moth it is quite possibly one of the wimpiest crotons as far as cold is concerned. When I saw Marie at Fairchild earlier this year, we discussed this pretty cultivar. She told me she doesn't grow it anymore. I've lost it twice now and got an air layer from the Glock's at the July meeting for a third try. Their plant in FMY is a monster but even Judy said it struggled this past year. Mine will be in the greenhouse when the temp dips below 45F along with other tenders this winter. By contrast, it's sister seedling Madam Butterfly is as cold resistant as a croton gets in my experience.

If this variety is so cold sensitive, good old Veitchii is a pretty good substitute; see attached pics - not a lot of difference except for the darker red petioles on Moth

Attachments

• DSCN3271.jpg
    DSCN3271.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN3272.jpg
    DSCN3272.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 97
Actually The Moth got planted today. If you see the concete pillar in one of my posted pictures, it was planted behind it. On top of the pillar is a 10 gallon clay pot with an Alocasia Stingray. The palm seen is Licuala ramsayi. It is next to a unseen Licuala grandis. Mixed amongst the palms and the pillar the following crotons got planted: Duncan Macaw, Nellie Halgrim, Stain Glass, Tiger Eye and Angel Wing.

The Moose is tired and will be hitting the bed soon. :p