Where is the rain ???

I don't mean to bitch about the rain situation but ... it is really. really dry here. At this time of year, rain is often associated with the leading edges of cold fronts. I would rather have dry than cold. We actually have some easterly winds that can produce some showers the last couple of days. This is not common in the winter months.

The forecast today is 40% chance of a shower in the mid afternoon. It would be great to see at least .25" of rain today. Got a sprinkle yesterday morning, never reached the plants under the canopy.

Once again the forcast was way off. They called for 40% today like Moose stated, there wasn't squat around. Clear and warm. Another blown forcast in my opinion.

I'm still waiting for the first measurable rainfall in over a month. The sprinklers and garden hoses have been working overtime. Tampa hit 87F the last two days and I can actually say some cooler weather would be welcome. It is after all only St. Patrick's Day. The spider mites are running roughshot through the garden.

Ray, Not looking good for rain anytime soon.

Attachments

• 7day.jpg
    7day.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 145
Got about 3" Thursday and Friday. A welcome respite from all that watering. And still just been in the lower 80's. South Florida is about the only place from the central US to the east coast that's not 20 or 30 degrees above normal. My place in Arkansas is already in the 80's and the summer time there gets around 110 or above. It seems to get hotter every year there lately. It doesn't look good for rain in the central US and there is no snow pack to keep the reservoirs up. Weird year or global warming. Love that east coast weather, but how long will it last?

The small chance of rain we had for Wed and Thurs is now removed from the forecast. A hot 86f again today.

Attachments

• 7day.jpg
    7day.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 140
A balmy 87F today with a whopping 20% rain chance Friday. This spring and summer is going to be a complete reversal from last year when rain was abundant.
Ray, You can scratch that 20% rain chance for Friday.

Attachments

• 7day.jpg
    7day.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 146
Seeing lots of clouds coming off the gulf heading towards the Tampa Bay region this morning. Hope these clouds produce some much needed rain for ya! ;)

When watering it may be prudent to do so at sunset. Giving the plants an opportunity to absorb water overnight while temperatures are lower. Less evaporation from the soil and transpiration from the leaves. Crotons do absorb water from the wet leaves. :)

Ray - did you get your drip system installed? :confused:

Ron,

Not yet. My plate is full right now and that one's not near the top of the list.

Scott,

Now the scrubbed rain chances are back in the forecast for the remainder of the week. There's even a whopping 30% in for tomorrow. For some reason, I'm not overly excited.

Ron,

Not yet. My plate is full right now and that one's not near the top of the list.

Scott,

Now the scrubbed rain chances are back in the forecast for the remainder of the week. There's even a whopping 30% in for tomorrow. For some reason, I'm not overly excited.

Scott, Bren & Ray - start painting your house. It will surely rain then! :eek:

You know its hot when...

Attachments

• 88%20Melted%20Ice%20Cream%20Truck.jpg
    88%20Melted%20Ice%20Cream%20Truck.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 156
A friend in Sarasota just bragged about a rain storm. Still sucking in St. Pete. Damn. Lubbers and spider mites are taking over.

I feel lucky not to have problems with Lubbers. Must be the patrol of the water birds from the lake.

Attachments

• draft_lens8596901module74753821photo_3_1261111528white_ibis.jpg
    draft_lens8596901module74753821photo_3_1261111528white_ibis.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 154
  • draft_lens8596901module74753811photo_1261177670IMG_0109_edited_edTMP.jpg
    draft_lens8596901module74753811photo_1261177670IMG_0109_edited_edTMP.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 152
Scott,

I normally don't have Lubbers but a huge "flock" of little ones popped up on some Tampa Verbena planted on my easement. I gave them some Sevin for breakfast before they turned into voracious monsters.

Scott - I don't think there is a critter that will dine on a Lubber Grasshopper. Once I threw one in a pond deep in the middle of the Everglades. A Large Mouth Bass quickly hit it and spit it out 10 seconds later. A Large Mouth Bass will pretty much eat anything if that tells ya anything. :(

Gotta kill them as juveniles - really resistant to chemical treatments as adults. They start eating the tender plants then move on to just about anything once the tender plant source of food has diminished.

I hate 'em! :mad:

Give me a 30% rain chance anytime. 1.12" in Scottland this evening :)

Attachments

• k_xm0.jpg
    k_xm0.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 145
Well, they just changed the forecast a little more in favor for this area. Dragging this hose around is exhausting. Fingers crossed!

Looks like rain for the bay area today. :)

Attachments

• b_xm0.jpg
    b_xm0.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 125
Don"t feel bad Ron. Last night the radar in the Gulf looked as I would get hit. All moved south as it came close to the coast. Got nothing at all. Sprinklers are on now,

Not to worry - it all fizzled out before making landfall in the south Pinellas desert; next chance is Saturday which would be a washout for Mainsail Arts Festival on the waterfront.