2012 Crotons in Hawaii

Marie Nock

04/07/09
We just returned from a plant buying trip to Hawaii, but this year I won't be posting any croton pictures like I did last year. Why not? Well, all the crotons that we photographed last year are still there, but all of the new plantings that we saw both in public parks and around new shopping centers were all Petras, Mammeys and Normas. Even some of the nurserys that we bought great crotons from last year are just growing the big three. Same with Home Depot and Lowes.

We were still able to find rare and unusual varieties and shipped about 200 croton plants and cuttings home, but I'm concerned about the trend. Nurseries in Hawaii are having a hard time so they're growing what's selling. There's not the interest there that there is here for the old varieties. I'm not sure what we'll find next year.

Hi....gosh it was great to meet you. Going to Troy's to ad to our collection this week. Eunice wouldn't let me have any of the Croton I was interested in. I'm also going to start snagging cuttings I see around town that aren't in production just so they don't get lost forever. Was at Depot and noticed all the Normas and Petras...kind of made me sad, then I noticed where they came from. Needless to say I wasn't surprised....homogenized plant material for the mindless masses.

It was great to meet you too Andy. I think you and Tom have a real opportunity for your online business if you acquire and cultivate the croton cultivars that seem to only be available in Hawaii.

Hi....gosh it was great to meet you. Going to Troy's to ad to our collection this week. Eunice wouldn't let me have any of the Croton I was interested in. I'm also going to start snagging cuttings I see around town that aren't in production just so they don't get lost forever. Was at Depot and noticed all the Normas and Petras...kind of made me sad, then I noticed where they came from. Needless to say I wasn't surprised....homogenized plant material for the mindless masses.

Andy - Welcome to the Croton Forum. Its great we will be getting some posts from Hawaii! Dean and Angela have not posted much about crotons lately. Perhaps they feel at bit isolated from the majority on the forum.

Love to see photos of your acquistions. :cool:

Kindest regards,

Ron :)