Poor Response

palmisland

28/03/08
I am getting tired of posting photos & various threads with such poor responses. There are obviously plenty of lurkers out there as can be seen by the posts view count. Forums like this are a give & take of information, unfortunately it seems like a lot more give lately. Some threads have 500+ views with only a couple of responses from the same handful of people. I don't really have the time to "entertain" the forum's lurkers.

What this forum needs is more responses & interaction from the lurkers, even a "nice plant" or "great photo" would be appreciated. If this forum is to excel, we need more participation.

-Randy

I too was hoping for a little help with your request for ID's last week.I tried my best but I am too new to this to help ID tricky varieties.

Randy - The low participation phenomenon seems common on many boards especially highly specialized ones like this - one genus, one species , one plant - and of low economic importance. I lurk on the cycad board and see the same thing there - same posters most of the time; same, same on several philatelic boards I follow and occasionaly participate in.

Reasons - and here I speculate a bit - fear of looking stupid to the rest of the world; apathy, apathy, apathy......

onward through the fog

Randy,

You have made a very good point, and like Phil brought up, it happens all the time on other forums. I'm guilty of not posting more pictures when I have plenty to take pictures of, but I do try to respond alot with information that I know and have learned over the years and gladly share with others.

SO, I hope this is a small wake up call to all the lurkers out there, please try to get involved in some kind of tiny way. I would hate to see this one and only forum on crotons collapse.

Unfortunately it is the "nature of the beast." It is this way on all forums. In my capacity as webmaster for several sites, I visit about a dozen tech forums regularly, and that is where I get a majority of my support for tech and web issues. So I post when I need help, but more often than not I don't hang around and try to answer questions from other posters. It is an issue of time - as I am already posting and spending hours on this forum and others, and I feel there are other experts who are more equipped to answer the sometimes difficult and controversial questions. So I could be called a "taker" and not a "giver" on those forums. But I would be lost without them.

Keep the following in mind - some forums discourage the posting of "nice photos" or "thanks" posts. They think of it as "fluff" and of no substance, just taking up space. They even have a check box to check for "like" or "thanks" and encourage clicking there instead of wasting space. We don't do that here, but that "etiquette" may carry over.

Also keep in mind that many page views are web search engines crawling the page. They index the pages for their search engine, and of course do not ever reply.

So don't be discouraged - it's human nature. There will always be more takers than givers. But even lurkers contribute, because page views translate to advertiser interest, which translates to helping provide the site.

There are some "strategies" for making people register - like not allowing them to view photos until they do so. But until and unless we have really compelling content, that may discourage people more than anything else. And you can't make people post anyway.

But the good news is we have a core group that is contributing, and overall the site traffic is increasing. So keep up the good work. As long as momentum is in a positive direction, that is all I need to feel optimistic.

Randy, speaking for myself, I am swamped at work. I check in often and appreciate all your input. I feel your frustration. I am guilty of not commenting. Just short for time lately. Please know your input and pictures are appreciated. This site is blocked at my work too so I don't get to see full size pics etc while I am viewing from my phone, like now. Your input is valuable, please keep it up :)

Over the last few days this week, I uploaded some pic's to my upcoming garden tour, and started a couple of new threads w/ pictures. What I thought would be some unusual crotons, something you don't see often. And very little feedback as well. Pretty sad if you ask me. And I know damn well if I CAN REPLY with some replies, then 98% of everyone else can certainly post something too. I am at the bottom of the chart on "computer knowledge", I'm that bad. lol.

I tell people on PalmTalk with the same complaints that just because someone doesn't respond with "nice photos, thanks," that doesn't mean they weren't viewed and appreciated. There are many guests who view stuff, but are unable or unwilling to register and respond. And I know that I don't usually add something unless I have something to offer - not just a "good job." Really, what good is a dozen "thanks," and "nice shots." Pay attention to the number of views. That is the real sign as to whether your post/photos are appreciated.

Attachments

• oj-simpson.jpg
    oj-simpson.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 134
  • guilty.jpg
    guilty.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 469
  • Floyd-the-barber.jpg
    Floyd-the-barber.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 474
Our posting of pics has really dropped off. :( The Lurkers remain non-commited. Our regular forum members are almost as bad. All the bitching we heard from our West Coast friends about the last two winters and now such a mild winter. You would think all kinds of great photos would be getting posted? :confused:

Other than Phil, I cannot recall any recent picture postings from the Westies? :mad:

Our posting of pics has really dropped off. :( The Lurkers remain non-commited. Our regular forum members are almost as bad. All the bitching we heard from our West Coast friends about the last two winters and now such a mild winter. You would think all kinds of great photos would be getting posted? :confused:

Other than Phil, I cannot recall any recent picture postings from the Westies? :mad:
Ron, Westies? :D

Attachments

• Westie-Oliver.jpg
    Westie-Oliver.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 145
Now what did I do with the Crotons?

Attachments

• IMG_7163.jpg
    IMG_7163.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_7179.jpg
    IMG_7179.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_7165.jpg
    IMG_7165.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_7164.jpg
    IMG_7164.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 155
i am new to this forum (and the first forum I've ever been on). Phil Stager's response pretty much described me, I'm sad to say. (fear of looking stupid...) That said, I thoroughly enjoy this forum. just beginning a croton collection, and recently obtained wonderful advice from Moose Knuckle (Ron) and Judy weekend before last at Searle's Nursery Sale. So many nice croton lovers! Very excited about my new purchases there - Duke of Windsor, Victoria Gold Bells, Pink Eburneum, Thomas Edison, Charles Rutherford and Johanna Coppinger. I've placed several of these under a large rubber tree, which will afford nice am sun and afternoon shade. Further embarrassed to say that I'm not sure how to upload (or download) photos, but I will learn!!! Thanks to all the posters out there, and I will make an effort to contribute more to the forum. Fortunately, I have a four year old nephew who can probably teach me all this technical stuff...

lbahadawn -

OK, let's post some pics.
1. Take photo using a digital camera
2. Download pics to a file on your PC; my file for crotons is appropriately labeled croton.pics - so I can find them.
3. click the Go Advanced button - and a new window like this one appears. Add text.
4. to add the photos, click on the Manage Attachments button below this box
5. You just clicked on the Manage Attachments button and a new window will open.
6. Click on the +Add Files button.
7. A new window opens and click on Select Files.
8. Find the pics you want to post (up to 4 at a time), highlight them, then click on the Open button
9. Another window opens and click on Upload Files; once files are uploaded click Done
10. All of these windows have closed and you're back to the beginning and can see the names of the files under Manage Attachments
11. Click Preview Post to see how the pics look, check for typos, spelling erros, etc.
12. If you're happy, click on Submit Reply - and then through the magic of electronland, your post shows up with the pics.

In this instance, you are now looking at twl pics of a Corot.

This may look a bit complex, but if a Luddite like me can do it, so can you.

Attachments

• DSCN3708.jpg
    DSCN3708.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN3709.jpg
    DSCN3709.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 140
...and now a few pics of the latest plantings that first required the removal of a small clump of B. vulgaris Wamin and then lots of mulching. New stuff includes a Maximum from Moose, Revelations, Embassy, Bimbo, Plant Creations #2 (the stringy interupted one), a Thai type similar to Rossio but more orange, Lucille Alonzo from Kieth, and a mystery pink and white on green from Bullmoose.
A sharp eye will note an air layer on the Playboy and Mosaic.
6 yards of mulch already spread and 4 more ordered today; it is a recycled mulch from the City; $25 for 1-6 yds nominal delivery charge.

Attachments

• DSCN3707.jpg
    DSCN3707.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN3706.jpg
    DSCN3706.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN3705.jpg
    DSCN3705.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN3704.jpg
    DSCN3704.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 156
Phil - thank you very much for this lesson! I am determined to share some photos ... will get working on it this weekend. I notice that the crotons in the photograph below are planted pretty close together. Do you keep them this way to grow all together, or do you move these after they mature? So far, i've been planting mine alone with some plain green accents. I did "branch out" with some new plants recently purchased and planted these sort of together in the same area, but about five feet apart. It's a little too much fun, I'm afraid :)

baha- I tend to plant them fairly close since my yard is pretty well planted out - something has to go before something else goes in. These were either 1 or 3 gal plants.

baha -
The attached pics show what I mean by filling up the yard...

Attachments

• DSCN3710.jpg
    DSCN3710.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCN3711.jpg
    DSCN3711.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN3712.jpg
    DSCN3712.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN3713.jpg
    DSCN3713.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 165
Phil - thank you very much for this lesson! I am determined to share some photos ... will get working on it this weekend. I notice that the crotons in the photograph below are planted pretty close together. Do you keep them this way to grow all together, or do you move these after they mature? So far, i've been planting mine alone with some plain green accents. I did "branch out" with some new plants recently purchased and planted these sort of together in the same area, but about five feet apart. It's a little too much fun, I'm afraid :)

Leslie - 5 ft apart is better than too close together. You may be able to squeeze in some slower growing cultivars as your collection grows. Have you tried to post photos yet? Gotta break some eggs to make an omelet, LOL :D

Judy grows fabulous crotons but has Jim post the photos. She is paranoid about posting. Leslie - Give it a go and lets see what happens. :)

Attachments

• Croton Bug.jpg
    Croton Bug.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 377
  • judy.jpg
    judy.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 362
OK - here goes... took some photos this morning. Zanzibar in a container garden, Magnificient, Mrs. Iceton and Piecrust. These are pretty much my first foray into the croton world, (and they are still very little plants) so thought they should be given the honor of the first photos submitted.

Attachments

• zanzibar.JPG
    zanzibar.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 170
  • magnificient.JPG
    magnificient.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 149
  • mrs iceton.JPG
    mrs iceton.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 136
  • piecrust.JPG
    piecrust.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 144
Nice plants! I also do not think #1 looks like Zanzibar. Can we get a close up? Here are a few shots of my Zanzibar...

Attachments

• IMG_5289.jpg
    IMG_5289.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5291.jpg
    IMG_5291.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5292.jpg
    IMG_5292.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 119
Here (center) is a shot of Magnificent.

Attachments

• IMG_5653.jpg
    IMG_5653.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 130
Baha - your plants look great. I believe that your Zanzibar may be the real deal that has not returned to form. This is a slow croton that may be still recovering from a cold defoliation. Or possibly it could be a Punctatum. Either way not a very common croton.

I too am suspect about the Magnificent plant. Your croton looks to have a more developed semi-oak leaf that a typical Magnificent. Perhaps you could post an updated photos with a close up of the leaves as it colors up. I am sure that we could put our collective heads to together and make some sort of ID.

Your Piecrust looks very nice. The Mrs. Iceton has exceptional colors!

Being you first photos, I gotta give ya an A+. :) Seeing your use of mulch demonstrates that you know how to nurture your plants! :cool:

Lets see your latest aquistions if you got em already planted.

Kindest regards,

Ron :)

I'm trying to get over my embarrassment for mislabeling my plants :( (By the way, how long can I use the excuse of being a newbie???) I went back to my favorite nursery where I purchased these plants, to see where i went wrong on the Magnificent labeling. I think the correct name is "fantasy." I looked up a picture and it looks close... Happy to say that while I was there, I bought a "Magnificient!" Now, on to others - I saw a pile of lawn debris yesterday and went back to retrieve these beauties for rooting. The leaves are not wide, but not real thin either. I would say about 2inches wide. They are soaking now, and I hope they take! Does anybody recognize this one?

Attachments

• 4-3-12 cutting1.JPG
    4-3-12 cutting1.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 4-3-12 cutting.JPG
    4-3-12 cutting.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 156
Looks like a Queen Victoria or Regina to me...

What's its name or what's it called is probably the most frequent thread on this board - welcome to the confusion.

Pink Eburneum
i am new to this forum (and the first forum I've ever been on). Phil Stager's response pretty much described me, I'm sad to say. (fear of looking stupid...) That said, I thoroughly enjoy this forum. just beginning a croton collection, and recently obtained wonderful advice from Moose Knuckle (Ron) and Judy weekend before last at Searle's Nursery Sale. So many nice croton lovers! Very excited about my new purchases there - Duke of Windsor, Victoria Gold Bells, Pink Eburneum, Thomas Edison, Charles Rutherford and Johanna Coppinger. I've placed several of these under a large rubber tree, which will afford nice am sun and afternoon shade. Further embarrassed to say that I'm not sure how to upload (or download) photos, but I will learn!!! Thanks to all the posters out there, and I will make an effort to contribute more to the forum. Fortunately, I have a four year old nephew who can probably teach me all this technical stuff...

Leslie - here is a shot of my Pink Eburneum taken this evening. :)

Attachments

• Pink Eburneum.JPG
    Pink Eburneum.JPG
    419.4 KB · Views: 146
I'm definitely guilty of lurking...if anything, I'm jealous at the variety of Crotons you all have available. Once I get all my photos dumped into a file on my partners laptop, I'll do more photo posting. Right now I do everything from my iPad. I really appreciate all the great photos and enjoy reading the posts.

just got three cuttings . Do they grow at the same rate as the regular eburnum ?

No David - these are much slower. At least that is my experience.

Come on folks, we are in the mist of our crotons looking real sweet this time of year, but not many photos are getting uploaded.
:(
I am sure you guys are getting tired of my posts. Start showing off your croton bling and I promise I will slow down :eek: