Croton with thread-like leaf structure

bahadawn

21/02/12
I am a new member who hopes to i.d. a plant just purchased. I'm not even sure how to describe the leaves, except for they look like threads, with a leaf growing at the end of the thread. Searching in this manner online, I found the words "threadlike structure at the terminal of the leaf blade supporting a spoon..." This was in an article on croton plants. I also recently purchased the Dr. Frank Brown book, and a picture of a very similar plant is on the cover, also not identified. It is the one on the bottom left of the four cover photos. My plant is mostly green, but it is very small. The plant on the book cover is very colorful. Thanks for any info from you croton experts!

You have what is known as an 'interupted leaf' variety, i.e. the leaf starts out normal, then stops except for the central mid-rib for short distance (1/2" or so), and then the leaf grows normally. The one on the cover of the book is a Thai hybrid - meaning it was probably hybridized in Thailand like those at the back of the book. Very nice and usually very difficult to grow here in Florida.
'What's its name' is one of the most frequent threads on this board; photos help a lot and are easy to post.
Welcome aboard.

What you are describing is an "interrupted leaf". There are a bunch of them in the Croton world. If yours is solid green, it's "Appendiculatum." If it's green on one side and purple on the other, it's called "Mother and Daughter". If you've got lots of yellows, pinks, and orange, it's probably "Victoria Gold Bells".

Thank you both for sharing your knowledge! The plant is a solid green. I spoke with another person at the nursery where I purchased the plant (I'm there a lot....;-) and she thinks it's commonly called "green bells." I'm enjoying this newfound appreciation of crotons! I'm born and raised in Fla., so have seen them all my life. Just recently stopped taking them for granted, and very glad of it.

What you are describing is an "interrupted leaf". There are a bunch of them in the Croton world. If yours is solid green, it's "Appendiculatum." If it's green on one side and purple on the other, it's called "Mother and Daughter". If you've got lots of yellows, pinks, and orange, it's probably "Victoria Gold Bells".

bahadawn - a warm welcome to the croton forum! :) From your description, it sounds like you have what Ricky (fawnridge) suggested, Appendiculatum. You can find a picture on page 11 of Dr. Frank Brown's book. The nursery you got your croton from either got it as "Green Bells" or changed the name as it sounds more appealing then Appendiculatum. It is an old cultivar so hence the "weird" true name.

If you get the opportunity, I suggest you check out the list in the "14th Annual Spring Plant Extravaganza" thread. There will be large selection of crotons there (including many from Frank Brown's book) not often encountered in your typical nursery. It may be worthwhile to come by and browse. ;)

Here is some info:

South Florida Location:
Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.
6640 SW 172nd Avenue
Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331

Spring 2012 Schedule:
Friday, March 2nd - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, March 3rd - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Sunday, March 4th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

also the following weekend...
Friday, March 9th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, March 10th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Sunday, March 11th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

Contact List:
Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681
Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750
Nursery Website: www.rainforestcollection.com
Nursery Email: Searlebrothersnursery@yahoo.com

Jeff Searle #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com Private Message: PM Jeff Searle
Ryan (Palmarum) Email: rdgpalm@bellsouth.net

Directions:
This is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the county. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. If you intend to arrive early before sunrise (and many usually do) be wary of hard-to-see speed bumps along 172nd Avenue and there is a possibility of a speed trap as well.

bahadawn - if you go tomorrow, ask for Judy Glock. She is a croton lover and forum member. She loves to talk about all the cultivars and personal growing tips. You'll find her in the (where else) croton area. :D

The past few sales, I've noticed a speed trap on 172nd, North of Jeff's place. I guess the town wants a piece of the action & yeah those speed humps really sneak up on you.

bahadawn - if you go tomorrow, ask for Judy Glock. She is a croton lover and forum member. She loves to talk about all the cultivars and personal growing tips. You'll find her in the (where else) croton area. :D

bahadawn showed up in the croton area yesterday with her sister. Judy and I got the opportunity to spend some time with these delightful ladies. Both possess a good croton eye based upon there cultivar selections. Leslie's (bahadawn) sister really loves palms also and was in heaven strolling through the shade house.

Hopefully bahadawn will stay in touch on the croton forum and more of you will get to meet her at the next croton garden tour. :cool:

Thanks for your kind words! My sister and I very much enjoyed meeting you and Judy and the Searles. We had the best time choosing our crotons. It was such a pleasure speaking with you both - and so nice of you to share your knowledge of all the plants there. Getting home was somewhat nerve-wracking, as I could see NOTHING out of my rearview mirror but a tropical paradise of crotons and palms! We will definitely keep in touch. I'm intrigued with the thread mentioning Dr. Brown's upcoming lecture. That sounds like something I should not miss.

Victoria Gold Bells.JPG

An example of Victoria Gold Bells

Last edited:
This is such a nice plant. I have mine next to a garden path, which is great because it seems to be such a compact grower. It always looks good. Takes almost complete shade for three winter months, and many hours of almost full sun in the summer. Of course, it 's a gradual conversion, but not many plants of any kind can do that. It's never had a pest of any sort. I hope I didn't jinx myself on that one. It's not one of my very favorites as far as color, but it's such a grateful plant- it should be. Also, it's easy to see the interrupted leaves on this one as it has so many at one time, so that is a plus also. I sound like I'm selling this plant. Just happy I tried it I guess.

Talk about thread like the widest leaf is less than 1/4 inch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 136