Rheedii vs. #2 vs. #3 ?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Rheedii, Rheedii #2 & Rheedii #3 have photos in Frank Brown's Crotons of the World. I must admit that I am unsure as to the difference to these 3 forms. Could someone enlighten me as to what to look for that seperates the Rheedii's from one another. :eek:

I have a 3-trunked Rheedii in the garden. All of the trunks came from the same branch of one plant eleven years ago. Every trunk has a different look to its leaves. Some could be Rheedii #2, some #3, some totally different than any photo of Rheedii I've ever seen.

First pics are of plain, old, generic, run of the mill Rheedii. Lots of pinks; adapts to part to full sun and can get leggy quickly.

Attachments

• DSCN3680.jpg
    DSCN3680.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN3681.jpg
    DSCN3681.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN3682.jpg
    DSCN3682.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 90
...and here's two pics of a Rheedii #3 from Jeff's sale over a year ago; it is still adapting to its new environment over here

Attachments

• DSCN3683.jpg
    DSCN3683.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN3684.jpg
    DSCN3684.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 92
Thank you Phil!!! I have the same exact scenario. I try to compare it with the other Rheedii but like you said it is establishing itself. The reason I started this post was someone has offered a Rheedii #2 to me involving $$$$$$$. I don't want to drop that kind of money when these three forms have some questions. Or as Ray has indicated: "I don't think anyone is certain about this".

...and here's two pics of a Rheedii #3 from Jeff's sale over a year ago; it is still adapting to its new environment over here

Here's what I have for Rheedii #2. It is a small plant yet, and has not really grown since I have purchased it. The plant appears more red in color when seen in person.CAM00097.jpgCAM00098.jpgCAM00100.jpg