Croton Tour/Party/Spring Kickoff!! 2/25/12

TikiRick

21/06/09
:D
What? After much consideration and conversation, I will host the first 2012 Croton Party/Tour at my place in Eastern Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale).

When? Saturday, February 25, 2012 11:00am to ....???

Where? East Ft. Lauderdale (as the date gets closer, address announced)

Why? Do you really have to ask?

Who? Anyone and everyone who loves crotons!

Please bring a covered disk, suitable for outdoor dining. Sodas, water, available, beers, etc. please bring for the cooler.

Self guided tour ongoing at your leisure. Tiki bar open for relaxation on the water.

Let's hope a nice, warm, early spring day will be on tap. :cool:

Plant auction will be after lunch. Please bring suitable crotons for sale via traditional auction. Seller agrees to sell plant to highest bidder, after setting opening bid. Those who purchase plants must settle the transaction with the seller. Sellers, please attempt to limit number of sale plants to a respectable number. The attention of most bidders in an auction is limited to 30 minutes. Sellers.....please bring adequate change!!

Private message me for any questions or details....mark your February calendars!!

Attachments

• IMG_4171.JPG
    IMG_4171.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 165
Great! Typically, the later we get into Feb, the less chance of a cold front moving through with severe cold weather. I think were pretty safe for a nice weekend. I will do what I can to spread the news and try to get some new faces to come. I look forward to it.
Jeff

Great! Typically, the later we get into Feb, the less chance of a cold front moving through with severe cold weather. I think were pretty safe for a nice weekend. I will do what I can to spread the news and try to get some new faces to come. I look forward to it.
Jeff

There is a rumor that Robertico (DonRobert) and Jeff Anderson (Jeff from Costa Rica) may be in attendance. :eek:

Peyton (Crotonologist) is overdue for a road trip down south as well. ;)

It's been a few years since I attended my first croton mtg at Rick's.
I can testify to the contagious nature of crotons as I caught the disease at Rick's that day. Can't wait to see his amazing garden again.

It would be nice if someone would step forward to volunteer to take photos and posting them on this forum for all to see. Rick's garden has many a photo ops. :cool:

Mr. Harris - it was Rick's little utopian eden that inspired the Moose to begin his croton odyssey as well. Also got to meet John Bender - unfortunately I was completely unaware as to his historical croton stature and contributions then. :eek:

My Sister is suppose to let me know soon when she and the family are coming down. I can't even imagine driving 4 hrs with a 7yr old. I would need a drink immediately upon arrival

Its the Moose's Birthday and he will definitely be there. Rick - if you could have some of those silent auction forms available, we could use them to record who the winning bid goes to and the starting bid. Then hand the sheet to the plants grower and its up to them to collect. I'll volunteer to record the bids if you like.

Any volunteers for taking photos and posting back here on the forum??? Randy are you going, you have a great eye for photos.

This is a great garden and Rick is an excellent host. Can't believe I had to bump this thread. :confused:

Ron,

There was earlier talk that it would be a regular auction for Rick's meeting and maybe the idea of doing a silent auction once a year, later in the year. The proceeds would still go to the person that brought the plant. We need some more input from everybody that will be attending.

BUMP! Please come! Looks like the jet stream may actually cooperate for us! We're prepared for a real auction of some real good specimens. Many new folks have expressed interest to attend. Bring some drinks and something to eat and enjoy!

If you are not sure of the address, please private message me for it. Let's kick off spring!

This croton I got from Bullwinkle (Mike). He originally thought it could be a Mona Lisa but proved to be growing way too fast to be one. When he gave me the plant, there were two cuttings in the pot. When repotting, the second when "fell out" of the soil. It had a little tiny growth and no roots. I dipped it into root tone and potted it shallowly in a 1 gallon container. It kept its leaves and is now budding two new growth points. I have it tagged as Faux Mona Lisa not knowing what to call it. I will bring this cutting (not pictured) for the auction. It was left outside during both cold fronts and has experienced a low of 43F.

Here is a photo of the larger "Faux Mona Lisa" since the rooted cutting is not showing much right now.

Attachments

• Faux Mona Lisa.jpg
    Faux Mona Lisa.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 139
Should be able to schlep over a Geisha Girl, Col Gilbert Cutler, Her Highness, Fishbone, Gen Lin Yu Tang (and one for Marie Knock; don't forget the Arthur Howe if it's ready)

Randy,

You have a Robert Craig?? I thought that one was lost for sure. Do you mean William Craig? Robert Craig is described in the old book. Aside from Bob Alonzo, I wasn't sure anyone had ever seen that plant.

Rick / Group,

Besides bringing some plants for the open auction, I'm assuming if we want to bring a plant or two to sell outright, that's ok? Any ideas or restrictions for this saturday?

The more plants the better!!I will be bringing two Thai hybrids and a Daisy Ortegas for the auction.I will try and post pics later.

Rick / Group,

Besides bringing some plants for the open auction, I'm assuming if we want to bring a plant or two to sell outright, that's ok? Any ideas or restrictions for this saturday?

Should be able to schlep over a Geisha Girl, Col Gilbert Cutler, Her Highness, Fishbone, Gen Lin Yu Tang (and one for Marie Knock; don't forget the Arthur Howe if it's ready)

Phil, I'll bring an Arthur Howe for you.

For the auction I'll bring a Catherine Gephart, a Ben Alexander, a lost tag pastel pink and a Shady Lane.

How about a rack of award-winning Boca Boys baby back ribs for the auction? I won't have any plants until the fall, but I've got a freezer full of barbecue!

Ricky - And Boca Baked Beans too? :eek:

The croton tours are never lacking in great food! :cool:

Attachments

• overjoyed.jpg
    overjoyed.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 153
  • pig out.jpg
    pig out.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Boca Baked Beans.jpg
    Boca Baked Beans.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 138
Wow! I just saw this thread. I'm flying into Ft. Lauderdale on Friday and would love to attend this meeting. I live in Southern California and grow subtropical/tropical plants with an emphasis on Ti plants and Crotons. Will the info. be posted here or do I have to contact Ray or the Croton Society? I'm also interested in a list of nurseries to check out that carry good inventories of croton and ti plants.

Ken