Air Layers in February?

fawnridge

04/07/09
I'm going to start a bunch of them on the south side of the garden on the 15th. I figure at these temperatures they'll take around 6 to 8 weeks. The long term forecast is for above average temperatures and more rain. Might as well take advantage of an early start to the growing season.

I have a 9' Johannis with at least 10 long limbs that needs to come back down so you can see the leaves. Also a bunch of Gloriosa that are hanging over a pathway. Nothing really exciting, but they'll make nice plants at three in a pot.

I have been airlayering all winter with great success.It has been taking around 5-6 weeks instead of the 3-4 weeks that it takes in the summer.I even airlayered some rarer items (daybreak) and it took around 5 weeks to get the layer full of roots.I am sure the abnormally warm weather helped.It has been more like May here instead of Feb

I'm going to start a bunch of them on the south side of the garden on the 15th. I figure at these temperatures they'll take around 6 to 8 weeks. The long term forecast is for above average temperatures and more rain. Might as well take advantage of an early start to the growing season.

I have a 9' Johannis with at least 10 long limbs that needs to come back down so you can see the leaves. Also a bunch of Gloriosa that are hanging over a pathway. Nothing really exciting, but they'll make nice plants at three in a pot.

Johannis is a great croton! The ones in Randy's courtyard really caught my eye. :cool:

Ricky - air layers on Feb. 15th, you won't get any arguments from me the way this season has progressed. :)

Don't know if its optimism or a mistake. I just went and hit all my crotons with 20-20-20 water soluble fertilizer. I last fertilized my crotons the first week of Sept. Predicting that no more 40 degree temperatures will be coming this season. Mid to low 50's should be OK. :confused:

I'm thankful not to have started any air layers after what happened this past weekend. A couple of nights in the 30's would have wreaked major havoc. My February 20th date for winter's "end" still holds true in central Florida despite the warmer than usual winter.

Don't know if its optimism or a mistake. I just went and hit all my crotons with 20-20-20 water soluble fertilizer. I last fertilized my crotons the first week of Sept. Predicting that no more 40 degree temperatures will be coming this season. Mid to low 50's should be OK. :confused:

I hit mine last in Dec and plan on hitting them this weekend with water soluble fertilizer.

15 airlayers in place. Johannis, Gloriosa, Glen Roof, Davis #3, Pink Bravo, Phillip Geduldig, but no Thea, sorry. Weather forecast for the balance of February is Spring.