Meeting open to all! Come Join us

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
:cool: This Monday, February 6 at 7:30 pm, the SFPS will have a general meeting at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Rd.

Dr Larry Noblick, Palm Biologist at Montgomery Botanical Center will give a presentation entitled "Easy Ways to Identify Sabal Species"

"They all look alike. Right? Come and learn some practical ways to identify the 15 currently recognized Sabal species. In an effort to verify the identification of the Sabal species at Montgomery Botanical Center, I finally had to get serious about the genus. I gleaned information from Scott Zona’s revision of Sabal, a Power Point Presentation on Sabal done by Tomas Font (Spain) at the 2010 IPS Biennial in Rio (which I have greatly modified) and from a 2008 article on Sabal written in The Palm Journal by Donald Hodel. It is all about the stem, leaves, inflorescence, flowers and fruit and delivered in “plain” English. Come and learn how to finally tell them apart as I have."

An auction of palms will be held after the presentation. There will also be free palm seeds for distribution, varieties to be determined by freshness and availability that day. ;)

:cool: This Monday, February 6 at 7:30 pm, the SFPS will have a general meeting at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Rd.

Dr Larry Noblick, Palm Biologist at Montgomery Botanical Center will give a presentation entitled "Easy Ways to Identify Sabal Species"

"They all look alike. Right? Come and learn some practical ways to identify the 15 currently recognized Sabal species. In an effort to verify the identification of the Sabal species at Montgomery Botanical Center, I finally had to get serious about the genus. I gleaned information from Scott Zona’s revision of Sabal, a Power Point Presentation on Sabal done by Tomas Font (Spain) at the 2010 IPS Biennial in Rio (which I have greatly modified) and from a 2008 article on Sabal written in The Palm Journal by Donald Hodel. It is all about the stem, leaves, inflorescence, flowers and fruit and delivered in “plain” English. Come and learn how to finally tell them apart as I have."

An auction of palms will be held after the presentation. There will also be free palm seeds for distribution, varieties to be determined by freshness and availability that day. ;)

Bump for Monday. :eek: If I can catch a ride, I will be donating a three gallon Sabal palmetto 'Lisa' to the auction. :)