Not Crotonesque but ...

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
According to CNBC, reported most stressful cities. Hmmm, I don't know if I agree but three are in Florida. :p

America's most stressful cities in 2012

By Colleen Kane, CNBC.com

With common factors such as traffic, crowds, noise, grime, and crime, cities are generally not perceived as oases of calm.

But what makes one city more stressful to live in than the next? To gauge the stress of residents in American cities, data cruncher Sperling’s Best Places considered the 50 largest metropolitan areas (which includes suburbs). The team considered the following factors: divorce rate, commute times, unemployment, violent crime, property crime, suicides, alcohol consumption, mental health, sleep troubles, and the annual amount of cloudy days.

There wasn’t much variance in several categories. For alcohol consumption per month, each of the top 10 cities ranged from 8.7 to 14 drinks per month; for days per month with poor mental health, the metro areas ranged from 2.9 to 4.3; and for days per month of poor sleep, the range was 6.9 to 8.2.

The data behind this list does not paint a cheery picture. The Sunshine State, in particular, seems much less sunny — dismal, even. What follows are the five metropolitan areas that fared the worst using the above criteria.

5. Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MichiganPopulation: 1,918,288
Divorced: 11.4%
Commute time – minutes: 27
Unemployment: 15.7%
Violent crime per 100,000 population: 1111.2
Property crime per 100,000 population: 4,152.4
Suicides per 100,000 population: 9.6
Cloudy days annually: 180

Standout factors: The Detroit metropolitan area is in the 100th percentile for violent crime and property crime. It also ranks in the 97th percentile for poor mental health days per month, though it is in the second percentile for alcohol consumption per month.

4. Jacksonville, Florida
Population: 1,374,303
Divorced: 12.3%
Commute time – minutes: 28.0
Unemployment: 10.4%
Violent crime per 100,000 population: 557
Property crime per 100,000 population: 3,772.4
Suicides per 100,000 population: 13.9
Cloudy days annually: 139

Standout factor: Jacksonville is in the 95th percentile for divorces.

3. Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall, Florida
Population: 2,472,015
Divorced: 11.5%
Commute time – minutes: 33.2
Unemployment: 12.5%
Violent crime per 100,000 population: 733.3
Property crime per 100,000 population: 4,678.3
Suicides per 100,000 population: 9.3
Cloudy days annually: 117

Standout factors: Metropolitan Miami is in the 97th percentile for property crime, and 95th percentile for violent crime, but is in the fourth percentile for alcohol consumption.

2. Las Vegas-Paradise, Nevada
Population: 1,908,008
Divorced: 13.2%
Commute time – minutes: 27
Unemployment: 14%
Violent crime per 100,000 population: 763.4
Property crime per 100,000 population: 2,921.9
Suicides per 100,000 population: 18
Cloudy days annually: 65

Standout factors: Las Vegas-Paradise is in the 100th percentile for divorces, but it had the least cloudy days of the 50 cities analyzed.

1. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Florida
Population: 2,780,818
Divorced: 12.3%
Commute time – minutes: 28.3
Unemployment: 11.2%
Violent crime per 100,000 population: 500
Property crime per 100,000 population: 3,387.2
Suicides per 100,000 population: 15.5
Cloudy days annually: 127

Standout factor: Tampa is in the 97th percentile for suicides.

True Dave but that's because not enough people live in Brevard. A month ago, St. Pete was on a list for most depressed city in the U.S. and Tampa was 97th. Within mere months, the entire area is now on top? Right. It's good that these stats are out there. The area and state are crowded enough so maybe people will stop moving here. Right. All this and people STILL want to live here.

I take these stats with a grain of salt. This week coffee is great for you and next week it'll kill you. Next week, we'll make the list for best place to start a new business, top 5 place for young couples or top 10 place for a ménage à trois. There's no other state in which I'd rather live. Thankfully and hopefully, not everyone will feel this way and stay away.

BTW, I wonder why Tampa, St. Pete and Clearwater are lumped together but Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, Boca Raton, Hialeah, Miami Springs, Homestead and other surrounding communities aren't lumped in with Miami. In every other statistic, Dade, Broward and Palm beach are considered a megalopolis. I have a feeling that would change the statistics dramatically. Let's check back in a year or two when the economy isn't hitting the state so hard and see if Richmond, Virginia or Nashua, New Hampshire are still less "depressed".

This makes me think of the old expression, "The amount of fun your having is inversely proportionate to the amount of clothes you are wearing." By this standard Florida has all of them beat, except for possibly Hawaii.

This article is a prime example of media garbage.

True Dave but that's because not enough people live in Brevard. A month ago, St. Pete was on a list for most depressed city in the U.S. and Tampa was 97th. Within mere months, the entire area is now on top? Right. It's good that these stats are out there. The area and state are crowded enough so maybe people will stop moving here. Right. All this and people STILL want to live here.

I take these stats with a grain of salt. This week coffee is great for you and next week it'll kill you. Next week, we'll make the list for best place to start a new business, top 5 place for young couples or top 10 place for a ménage à trois. There's no other state in which I'd rather live. Thankfully and hopefully, not everyone will feel this way and stay away.

BTW, I wonder why Tampa, St. Pete and Clearwater are lumped together but Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, Boca Raton, Hialeah, Miami Springs, Homestead and other surrounding communities aren't lumped in with Miami. In every other statistic, Dade, Broward and Palm beach are considered a megalopolis. I have a feeling that would change the statistics dramatically. Let's check back in a year or two when the economy isn't hitting the state so hard and see if Richmond, Virginia or Nashua, New Hampshire are still less "depressed".

:D Ft. Myers ranked #1 :rolleyes:

Hmmmmm, Lower Keys are ranked #2, it there a pattern??? :rolleyes: