Compte de Castelaine

Jeff Searle

26/08/08
A really pretty croton now in the garden. Anyone else have a photo of theirs?

Attachments

• crotons virginia trip christmas2011 107.jpg
    crotons virginia trip christmas2011 107.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 129
Looks more like the Madame Butterfly in my yard. See pics taken tonight. Leaves are 3-4" long plus short petiole.

Attachments

• DSCN3637.jpg
    DSCN3637.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN3638.jpg
    DSCN3638.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN3639.jpg
    DSCN3639.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 101
The big difference between Madame Butterfly and the Compte is, madame has all the pinks through the leaves, where Compte has no pinks and mostly reds and yellows. Side by side, very different.

Ricky, don't you know I'm camera s l oooo w? But, I'll try to take some side by sides.

Here's a rather scruffy Compte de C in a 3 gal pot on a resin chair in front of Madame Butterfly; the Compte has much darker reds in the top of the leaves which are about 20% larger than Butterfly's; not much confusion when seeing the real thing.

Attachments

• DSCN3640.jpg
    DSCN3640.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN3641.jpg
    DSCN3641.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 103
Here's a rather scruffy Compte de C in a 3 gal pot on a resin chair in front of Madame Butterfly; the Compte has much darker reds in the top of the leaves which are about 20% larger than Butterfly's; not much confusion when seeing the real thing.

Don't mean to go off topic here but the Madame Butterfly subject has been visited here. There appears to be two forms of Madame Butterfly? One form looks like the photos that Phil posted (resembling Compte de Castelaine). The other form, for lack of a better description, simular to a Red Quill. If both forms are accepted to be Madame Butterfly, which form sported the cultivar called The Moth? :confused:

I may have "stirred the compost", but these questions may need addressing. :eek: