Photos while being chased and bit by skeets

Central Floridave

16/07/09
Yeah for rain, but boo for skeets. Here are some quickee flash shots while running through the yard while raining and swatting mosquito.

crot1.jpgcrot2.jpgcrot3.jpgcrot4.jpgcrot5.jpgcrot6.jpg

4" of rain the pst two days here. Off topic question but in the last set of pics, is the palm in the first (LH) a Gaussia sp? If yes, how long has that black spot been on it? and do you see it on any others in your yard?

Black spot palm is a buccaneer. I do have some gausia though. I'll go check for more black spot. I think it is a fungus. Should I be worried?

Sorry, I don't know the name of the long flower croton. I'll take some more photos shortly. Skeets are so bad in my yard right now. Its not fun being outside. The county spray doesn't reach my house as I'm off the major road.

My old place used to be really bad for skeeters - a small propane fogger from home depot worked wonders...
When I was planning on working/playing outside all day, a thorough fogging would keep the skeeters out for about 8 or 10 hours.

many Psuedophoenix sp. in FL seem to be exhibiting this symptom; not good but not much one can do about it since the experts like Monica Elliot are not too sure what it is.

Thanks for the info. I see the black spot, and I will never use fungicide in my yard...however, I am going to look for a anti-skeet fogger. I typically cover myself head-to-toe with deep woods off if I'm outside for longer than it takes to photo then swat, then back inside. Its like a war zone out there. The recent rain after the long-ass drought has them in mass numbers and looking to kill. Its not fun. Luckily I have a screen in pool, and they still get in somehow and when I'm swimming laps I can see them cloud up above me as I move. Not much I can do as there are a lot of small fresh water lakes and ponds in the area.

Dave,

Be careful if it has pyrethrins. I've learned it also kills the beneficial bugs. I also killed all my pond fish using it! Now I won't spray anything but myself.
Try thermocell, it only covers a 15 sq ft area and is very affective. They make a holster for it too as you move. I can't use it though as it too will kill my pond fish and may potentially kill my chickens. Nice yard!

Thanks. I really just use deep woods off on myself. If I had a party or something I would spray any mosquito killer I could find and damn the beneficials. :p If only some relief for an hour or two. I got ponds with goldfish in it as well. I really don't like using pesticides and rarely do.

Thanks, I'm trying. I always say I'm growing a tropical rainforest...without the rain. I live in an incredibly dry spot. Ancient dune line on a secondary barrier island. Water table is deep and around 15 feet before you hit the water table. Except for tropical storm fay that dumped 24" in 24 hours, I have never seen a puddle develop in my yard. Great drainage. Great for growing live oak and mango. I also don't have a sprinkler system, so all the plants pretty much have to be drought tolerant. That is why you see palm, croton, and cordyline mostly! The recent rain is awesome and allows me to kick back and enjoy some photography rather than dragging the hose!

Wow Dave - I can't believe I missed this thread. :eek: Very, very impressive to say the least. :cool: I love your Miss Andrea, looks much better than mine.

Have we ever held a Croton Tour in Central Florida? Seems to always be West Coast - East Coast. Perhaps a change in venue is in order. :p

Any updated photos? The skeeters should not be a problem now. ;)

Dave, we need a croton tour of south Merritt Island. Want to host a another meeting this year? I hope I'm not putting you on the spot. Croton meetings are usually smaller than palm society gatherings.

Maybe, when? I still have to figure out cfpacs meeting dates.

Skeets definitely are gone now! Perfect time of year to be outside. My croton pretty much look the same as last summer photos except now I have bright green rye grass growing in the open spots.

Ray - nothing chiseled in stone but ... :eek:

/forum/showthread.php?2804-Save-the-tentative-date....SPRING-CROTON-FLING!

and

forum/showthread.php?2785-Pink&p=32047#post32047 post #5

Thanks Ron.

How about mid summer Dave? It'll be Mango season :)

Dave - not trying to exert any pressure. You do have an interesting collection of crotons. Most of the croton folks are also very into palms. If you are not into having a garden tour, it is understandable as preparations are usually an involved time consuming endeavor.

Just thinking that Merritt Island is so close to Frank Brown's that it would be a great opportunity for him to attend. Many have not been blessed meeting him. All the accolades given about Dr. Brown in the last Croton Society Newsletter weren't smoke. :)