Some interesting developments

fawnridge

04/07/09
Satan - no kidding, the leaves are 2 feet long, not including the stem.
Buddy - huge yellow leaves that have some green tinge.
Col. Gilbert Cutler - look what this thing is sporting. Multiple shoulders, leaves 18" long, again not including the stem. (2 pics)
Mrs. WF Dreer - more solid yellow leaves.

Attachments

• satan.jpg
    satan.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 106
  • buddy.jpg
    buddy.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 100
  • col1.jpg
    col1.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 85
  • col2.jpg
    col2.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 85
  • dreer.jpg
    dreer.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 85
Ricky, I have to disagree, they are not the same plant, Satan does not get big leaves, and is only red and black, no hot pinks, and the leaves do not get forks on it like I see on one of yours.

Wow !!! Where is the Irene Kingsley and/or Satan foto located ? Fantastic huge leaf...also, boy am I anxious to see how this thread plays out regarding Irene Kingsley vs Satan...especially after the discussion that was aired here on the forum about 2 or 3 months ago regarding this Croton. Best Belated Holiday Wishes to all the membership.

The Irene Kingsley / Satan argument has been going for decades with no resolution. I have six Satan in my garden, all from the same plant that was a cutting from Jesse Durko's Satan that is the photo in The Book. Over the years, as Croton experts have gone through my garden the same six plants have been alternately called by both names. I believe the original plant was named after someone by the name of Irene Kingsley. Then, as with many of our Croton varieties, someone who had never seen Irene Kingsley decided to name his or her plant Satan.

Sounds logical...
According to Frank Brown's first book (1960) 'Irene Kingsley' was "introduced by John Kingsley".
The earliest book mention of this croton (that I can find) was in 1957 by Graf.
I can't find any info yet on John Kingsley or Irene...
Also cannot find much on 'Satan'...

This may also be a case of Eleanor Roosevelt / Sloppy Painter or King of Siam / Wizard of Oz. Some nurseryman or landscape designer gave Irene Kingsley the name of Satan because it sells better. In the 7 or 8 years I worked as a designer, the made up names always sold more plants. Either way, I'm sticking with Satan on this one... just because.

Satan - no kidding, the leaves are 2 feet long, not including the stem.
Buddy - huge yellow leaves that have some green tinge.
Col. Gilbert Cutler - look what this thing is sporting. Multiple shoulders, leaves 18" long, again not including the stem. (2 pics)
Mrs. WF Dreer - more solid yellow leaves.

Ricky - are you exhaling on them? LOL ;)

Very nice plants. Your Satan is stretched and looks like a heavily shaded Sybil Griffin. :eek: