Cover Girl?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
This croton was given to me as Cover Girl. It was my understanding that there is a "standard" and a "large" leaf form. It was assumed that this one was the large leaved version.

The confusing part is that I saw a croton at Marie Nock's place that looked exactly like this identified as Columbia. That is not to be confused with the simular named but different plant Columbiana. :confused:

Hopefully Marie will post a photo of her croton for comparison purposes. :)

Photo was taken this morning. Opinions are certainly encouraged on this one. ;)

Attachments

• Cover Girl.jpg
    Cover Girl.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 145
Ron,

When I came across this plant growing in Parrot Jungle, it was wrongly tagged as Cover Girl by Johhny S. and Bob A. Fast forward two years, and I'm now 100% convinced that it IS NOT a Cover Girl and calling it Columbia as well. It's certainly a well deserved plant and is not very common, but it's NOT Cover Girl. I'm hoping to have a true C.G. next summer.

Looks exactly like my Columbia,This one has been a a slow to moderate grower for me.Yours has colored up nicely,mine is showing potential but it is not quite there.

I'd swear that's Petra grown in the shade. Take a look at the photos on page 111 of The Book or just drive around the neighborhood and look for a bunch of Petra grown in the shade. There's a lot more red and the color evens out, more uniform over the leaf. They also elongate, just a tiny bit.

Pics are a little deceiving,definitely not a Petra.Even though I have seen Petra with red but not quite like this one.

I'd swear that's Petra grown in the shade. Take a look at the photos on page 111 of The Book or just drive around the neighborhood and look for a bunch of Petra grown in the shade. There's a lot more red and the color evens out, more uniform over the leaf. They also elongate, just a tiny bit.

Ricky,

It's one of those plants that you have to see side by side next to a Petra. It's 100% a different plant.

So now we have two crotons named after Space Shuttles?? I've never even heard of Columbia. Can someone please provide some info on this name? Of course, I'm a skeptic without some details.

So now we have two crotons named after Space Shuttles?? I've never even heard of Columbia. Can someone please provide some info on this name? Of course, I'm a skeptic without some details.

Ray, I recall reading a reference to this cultivar. For the life of me I cannot remember where. Something tells me that we may find it in past Croton Society Newsletter. I know that Judy Glock keeps all the newsletters. Keith probably has the complete archives of the newsletters. ;)

Perhaps they would be kind enough to check for us and let us know what they found out? :eek:

Ricky - my experience with Petra in heavy shade is that the leaves actually get smaller. I had a heavily shaded area that was devoid of color so I transplanted two Petras there. They get a small dappling of sun at this time of year. As the sun heads towards the northern hemisphere, they will be return to complete shade. I did this as it was reported that AFD developed the Petra to retain color in low light. Basically for when brought inside in the Winter for the European market.

Attachments

• Petra - shade.jpg
    Petra - shade.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Petra A - shade.jpg
    Petra A - shade.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 89
Wow - this is one sweet looking croton. Sorry for the hazy photo. :( Originally given to me by Jeff Searle as Cover Girl it was later determined to be Columbia. Don't really care what name it has, I love its color patterns.

Gave my first air layer of it to Phil, he has always been so generous to me. Where I took the air layer, it is already generating new leaves. I'm gonna make another air layer so it can get bushier. I visit this croton at least every other day during my sauntering. :eek:

Hey Phil - how is your air layer doing? :confused:

Attachments

• Columbia.JPG
    Columbia.JPG
    376.7 KB · Views: 88