Holiday project completed!!

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
I had been thinking about putting up a small greenhouse for a while and I ended up searching ebay all last week and bought all the components for around $190 delivered.
The greenhouse is around 6.5ft wide 3 ft deep and 7 foot tall.The greenhouse appears to be of reasonable quality but I would not recommend it for any location that gets any significant breeze as it has no tiedowns and while the build quality is fair I can see it collapsing if it is not protected.I have it it a completely protected area directly beside the house where it can only get filtered west winds .It took around 90 mins to put together (no instructions).The pvc misting kit was a breeze and took 10 mins to assemble.The timer has an automatic on/off valve and took around 5 mins to program ,it connects directly to the hose bib and then runs straight into the greenhouse.The timer allows for 8 on off cycles per day and also has a mist feature that allows misting for 1-5 mins up to 24 times a day.This greenhouse comfortably hold around 60 1 gallon pots.I have lingering doubts about the greenhouse structure but it only cost $80 delivered for the greenhouse so I cannot complain too loudly,I placed potting mix filled pots on the shelves to make sure this wont collapse before I start experimenting in late March:)

Attachments

• green house 001.jpg
    green house 001.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 77
  • green house 002.jpg
    green house 002.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 77
  • green house 005.jpg
    green house 005.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 81
  • green house 003.jpg
    green house 003.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 80
  • green house 006.jpg
    green house 006.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 77
It was filled with some tender ones from the brief cold snap we had two weeks ago.I have decided to leave them there for another 2 weeks.I going to have to learn how to wean plants from the greenhouse.Everytime I
take something out now it struggles in the real world.The greenhouse is always 3-5 degrees warmer than outside and is around 70% humidity most of the time.

"Croton Heaven" was completely jammed full the last I saw it. If it was 3X bigger, he would have been able to fill it. :rolleyes:

:D

This bump is for David to see what my greenhouse looks like.The greenhouse is very basic and cannot be exposed to high winds but if you can find a sheltered location it is perfect and cheap.

Here's my little croton "factory". Yeah, I got the idea from Bullwinkle:p I think the whole setup costs around a $100 & if it lasts a couple of years I'll be happy. The toughest maintenance item is keeping the mist nozzles clear. DSC_0163.jpgDSC_0164.jpgDSC_0165.jpg

-Randy

I got one online also it is 8' by 10' I had to abandon the metal frame and make it in my CROTOMINIUM. I built in tables and added Toro landscape mist heads. Of course I got carried away and damn near filled it in three days. If you look you can see a couple of air layered plants in the back. That little heater can keep it toasteee on your coolest days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 75
I got one online also it is 8' by 10' I had to abandon the metal frame and make it in my CROTOMINIUM. I built in tables and added Toro landscape mist heads. Of course I got carried away and damn near filled it in three days. If you look you can see a couple of air layered plants in the back. That little heater can keep it toasteee on your coolest days.

Lamar, you are a MADMAN! I remember seeing that mist house just barely completed with no plants in it yet. That was the weekend of Jeff's Fall Sale. Keep it up!

Wow Randy,looking great,It really is so easy.There is such a night and day difference in my work habit since I got this setup.I used to do 80% airlayers and 20% cuttings .Now I do 90% cuttings and 10% layers.Big 18" cuttings lose no leaves.It is great :)

Here's my little croton "factory". Yeah, I got the idea from Bullwinkle:p I think the whole setup costs around a $100 & if it lasts a couple of years I'll be happy. The toughest maintenance item is keeping the mist nozzles clear. View attachment 23918View attachment 23919View attachment 23920

-Randy