C. Jensenii

Marie Nock

04/07/09
DSC_0648.jpgDSC_0647.jpg
I
don't think a picture of Jensenii has ever been posted. It's a very slow cultivar.

Thanks Ray - plenty of references on Warrenii going back to the 1880's...

From the KEW BULLETIN OF MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ADDITIONAL SERIES IV LIST OF PUBLISHED NAMES OF PLANTS INTRODUCED TO CULTIVATION 1876 to 1896:

Croton Warreni Williams Cat 1880 14 SL pendent twisted linear 25 30 in long 1 1 J in broad dark green mottled and suffused w th orange yellow and carmine changing to rich carmine Codiceum Warren Year book 1881 159 Polynesia

From: COUNTRY LIFE IN AMERICA A Magazine for the Home maker in the Country VOLUME XVIII May 1910 to October 1910
The caption says leaves are "often nearly a yard long"..... :)
warrenii.jpg

Usually "croton" and "warrenii", or "codiaeum" and "warrenii", then I narrow it down by clicking on google's "Books" option, which can be then narrowed down more by clicking on "20th century", "19th century" or a custom time range...

And then some books allow cutting and pasting while other books do not...

If you find a book that won't allow to cut-n-paste, then use the print screen option. On my keyboard, hit 'Alt' then 'Prt Scr'. That will capture the entire desktop. Then open up photo editor (I use ms-paint) then Paste it into that and you have a screen shot.

:cool: Wow - what tight spirals. I thought Black Beauty had some tight spiraling leaves but that Jensenii beats it and the leaves are way longer. Nice carmine coloration!

A real beauty Marie - thank you for sharing! :cool:

Attachments

• Jensenii.jpg
    Jensenii.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Jensenii 2.jpg
    Jensenii 2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 184
A really good looker - that has failed miserably for me due to cold damage.

That is what is frustratinging about many of the thinner leaved varieties. Most often they do better with strong sunlight exposure. Heavy light usually equates to less canopy, cold & wind protection during the artic blasts. :(