How rare is Royal Horsegaurd??I saw a big one today and it was quite special!!

I'll tell you how rare it is! If you have a nice air layed plant, Jeff Searle would be offering you some amazing trades not offered to anyone else.

Phil must be from Missouri - so am I! Show me, where is da picture ??? :p

Pics coming soon,my sd card is corrupted and i am trying to recover the pics that i took last evening.I have recovered 3 but I cannot recover the best pic.

I'll tell you how rare it is! If you have a nice air layed plant, Jeff Searle would be offering you some amazing trades not offered to anyone else.

Phil must be from Missouri - so am I! Show me, where is da picture ??? :p

I took 1 complete cutting but I cannot recover the pic from my camera.here is what I could recover.I spoke with someone today and he has a horseguard and he says one way to tell for sure is that some of the leaves should have a 90 degree bend at the tip (third picture).This plant has this bend ,it also looks like the one in the book..I am pretty sure that it is Horseguard.I just want to add there is wide variation on the leaves,they are not all the same,some look like the picture in the book and some are oak leaf.The gentleman who has the plant has/had a great collection of Thai crotons.He once had over a 100 in the ground he is now down to around 8.It just shows how hard it is to keep the Thai crotons alive as he takes great care of his plants.

Attachments

• more crotons 002.jpg
    more crotons 002.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 147
  • more crotons 004 (2).jpg
    more crotons 004 (2).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 141
  • more crotons 009.jpg
    more crotons 009.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 141
Does anyone have any background info on Royal Horseguard?? The only mention I can find are the two pics in Crotons of the World (and the pics have most of the tips cropped)
The plants I've been calling Mrs. Snyders Disraeli (original plant is in my neighbor's yard and has been there 25+ years) look just like the posted pics and have a few leaves with the droopy tip. If you've seen my yard, you've seen the Mrs S D. A dippy droopy tip on a few leaves is not much to go for an ID.

So0me good pics of this Royal Horseguard may bring some light here....

Better pics would help.It is so hard to definitively identify plants based on a cropped pic in the book.I have to admit there does not appear to be too much difference beyween Snyders Disraeli and Horseguard.Especially hard since the plant that I have has widely varied leaves.

Does anyone have any background info on Royal Horseguard?? The only mention I can find are the two pics in Crotons of the World (and the pics have most of the tips cropped)
The plants I've been calling Mrs. Snyders Disraeli (original plant is in my neighbor's yard and has been there 25+ years) look just like the posted pics and have a few leaves with the droopy tip. If you've seen my yard, you've seen the Mrs S D. A dippy droopy tip on a few leaves is not much to go for an ID.

So0me good pics of this Royal Horseguard may bring some light here....

Mike,

That leaf is Disraeli-ish. The croton Evansianus has an appearance similar to this as well. As Phil mentioned, the biggest problem is we only have the 2 or 3 book photos. In different light, soil etc. Royal Horseguard may look very different from the book shots. Who knows, this may be the real thing.

Ray

Hi Crotonologist and Bullwinkle...attached are two fotos of what I call ROYAL HORSEGUARD in my garden that look like the fotos you have attached above. I find that in the "BOOK" Royal Horseguard and Mrs Snyder's Disraeli are very similiar to the untrained eye such as mine.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 143
Thanks for your pics.Your "Royal Horseguard" is very green.Is it always green or does it turn orange??I agree with you that Snyders Disraili and Horesguard look very similar.I wonder if they are even different cultivars??Much like the discussion that goes on over Satan and Irene Kingsley.

Hi Crotonologist and Bullwinkle...attached are two fotos of what I call ROYAL HORSEGUARD in my garden that look like the fotos you have attached above. I find that in the "BOOK" Royal Horseguard and Mrs Snyder's Disraeli are very similiar to the untrained eye such as mine.

Here's a pic. Got it from Jeff and it appears to be a fairly fast grower. I think the colors are redder and more blotched the Mrs Snyders.

Attachments

• royal horsegaurd.jpg
    royal horsegaurd.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 139
The leaves are around 15 inches long. Same pic but better size

Attachments

• P1130811.jpga.jpg
    P1130811.jpga.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 120