Ugliest Croton?

Mother and Daughter is not a knockout. Have not even planted it after 2 yrs.

Attachments

• IMG_6254.jpg
    IMG_6254.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6252.jpg
    IMG_6252.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 245
Gents,

A good clone of Mother and Daughter is supposed to have tiny pink spots throughout the leaf. It's still pretty lackluster but maybe a little less ugly. Appendiculatum may be even uglier as it has no hint of dark red. It's bright green on top of more green. It's a good plant for contrast and the old Florida croton collector who doesn't mind a few ugly crotons here and there.

Ray

Gents,

A good clone of Mother and Daughter is supposed to have tiny pink spots throughout the leaf. It's still pretty lackluster but maybe a little less ugly. Appendiculatum may be even uglier as it has no hint of dark red. It's bright green on top of more green. It's a good plant for contrast and the old Florida croton collector who doesn't mind a few ugly crotons here and there.

Ray
Ray, I think that if I gave this Mother and Daughter more sun I would see the tiny pink spots. I removed one plant from this pot in Aug and it receives a little sun and it shows a few of the tiny pink spots.

The pink-speckled sport off Mother and Daughter is called "Jonathon Schwartz". Named after a famous radio DJ from the NYC area in the late 60s and early 70s.

Attachments

• jonathon_schwartz.jpg
    jonathon_schwartz.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 152
I don't know.....but I just saw some solid green seedlings, and they were pretty ugly. No offense. But in all fairness, I've produced some butt ugly plants from seed myself, and out to the dumpster they go.

I am a sucker for the interrupted leaved crotons. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as said before. I find Mother and Daughter a nice cultivar that contrasts perfectly next to a bright colored large leaf cultivar.

The croton I have that only colors up on a few leaves and has been my greatest disappointment is: Dr. Frank Brown. I am further disappointed that of all the awesome crotons around, sadly this one got his name. :(

:eek: Here is the ugly duckling here in Scottland. It is a 3 yr old seedling from Petra. You know what they say..... maybe a swan someday.

Attachments

• IMG_6381.jpg
    IMG_6381.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 138
Mollucanum, the green version of Aureo Maculatum

Which actually makes a nice hedge. I added one to a garden in Boynton Beach or Delray and once it grew in, the leaves were almost permanent and the hedge was easily maintained at 6 feet to provide privacy on one side of the pool deck. I planted around 40 of them I bought from a grower in Homestead who had no idea what they were. I think he gave them to me for a buck a container - 3 gallon with anywhere from two to five plants in a pot!