Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

TikiRick

21/06/09
Thanksgiving was my first croton....given as a house gift in 2000. This is my favorite holiday, but not my favorite croton. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_4075.JPG
    IMG_4075.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4076.JPG
    IMG_4076.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4077.JPG
    IMG_4077.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4078.JPG
    IMG_4078.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4079.JPG
    IMG_4079.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4080.JPG
    IMG_4080.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4081.JPG
    IMG_4081.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 66
This one has been a big dissapointment for me.I saw a lovely one with lots of pink and white variations and spots .Mine just stays dull green with a few spots.If I find a better example mine will head to the trashheap :(

Mike - check out Jeff's Blotched Thanksgiving at the tour. Sometimes he has one available for sale. :rolleyes:

Rick - it was my first croton also. Keeping with the title theme of this thread, where's your Turkey Foot? :p

Kind reminder: Silent Auction Forms for Saturday. My printer is out of ink so I won't bring the form I made. :eek:

Yes, I have already printed 75 silent auction sheets...ready to go.
I think my Thanksgiving would have more pinks and white spots if it were not for the shade. However, when I planted it in 2000, it got full sun for half of the day. Now, with the palms maturing, it gets no sun, just dappled sun/shade for some of the day.

My favorite croton would have to be Tortoise Shell. Love it. Close second goes to Jungle Queen. Third is my Monarch.

Mike - check out Jeff's Blotched Thanksgiving at the tour. Sometimes he has one available for sale. :rolleyes:

Rick - it was my first croton also. Keeping with the title theme of this thread, where's your Turkey Foot? :p

Kind reminder: Silent Auction Forms for Saturday. My printer is out of ink so I won't bring the form I made. :eek:

That's right. The blotched Thanksgiving is looking exceptionally nice right now. I'll try to remember to show it to you because it's somewhat hidden off the pathway.

Rick...will you be arriving fairly early with the sheets? Approx. time?

Yes, I have already printed 75 silent auction sheets...ready to go.
I think my Thanksgiving would have more pinks and white spots if it were not for the shade. However, when I planted it in 2000, it got full sun for half of the day. Now, with the palms maturing, it gets no sun, just dappled sun/shade for some of the day.

My favorite croton would have to be Tortoise Shell. Love it. Close second goes to Jungle Queen. Third is my Monarch.

Rick - I really appreciate your comments. :cool: You are definitely not a "croton snob" selecting a not common but also not hard to find cultivar (Tortoise Shell) as your favorite. Seeing your splendid Tortoise Shell in your garden was what got me bitten by the croton bug. Your selection of cultivars for your garden is based on eye appeal, not by how "balls rare" they are. Jungle Queen is also not common but can be found. Monarch is hard to find (due to relatively slow growth) but has an awesome eye appeal. :)

History: Tortoise Shell is reportedly a sport from Bravo.

Jungle Queen is a cultivar that was developed by Charles Rutherford.

Monarch is one of the many cultivars created by Henry Coppinger.

Attachments

• Croton Bug.jpg
    Croton Bug.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 86
  • Happy Moose.jpg
    Happy Moose.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 91