Bullwinkle plants in the ground

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Mike and I did a considerable amount of trading this year. I recently planted the following that came from him :D :

Johannis
Maryland
Daybreak
Yellow (White) Bravo
WTF ? (potentially Rosette or Strawberry)

I'll try to get some photos posted later. :)

Johannis - positioned to get late afternoon sun, stays in shade earlier in the day. :)

Attachments

• Johannis.jpg
    Johannis.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Johannis (2).jpg
    Johannis (2).jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 125
Maryland planted under a juvenile (over 8 ft.) Corypha umbraculifera or more commomnly called a Talipot Palm. :)

Attachments

• Maryland.jpg
    Maryland.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Maryland2.jpg
    Maryland2.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 131
Phil - alot bigger than the Corypha utan I got planted in the side yard. Under the C. utan I put some crotons too. Like: Miami Beauty, Princess Eugenia, Buddy, Waterfall, Daisy Ortegas, Ortegas Hybrid, Geisha Girl. :)

I can always use the petioles in my fireplace when they get bigger. ;)

The Talipot is about 7 ft. from my property line, the neighbor should end up getting half the head. :p

Maryland is looking great,Talipot is my all time favorite.In Jamaica they call it the Century Palm (local folklore says they live 100 years and then die)

Maryland is looking great,Talipot is my all time favorite.In Jamaica they call it the Century Palm (local folklore says they live 100 years and then die)

Mike - It usually lasts 70 years, seeds once then dies. I'll probably be dead or in a wheel chair by the time it trunks. Look how long Jim Glock has had his. Under the Talipot is also planted, Pop's Yard, Inca, Daybreak, Duke of Windsor and Coccothinax montana, Coccothrinax scoparia and Cycas debaoensis.

Phil - you need to stop by some day. I was a palm freak like yourself before I got into crotons to accent my palms. :)

Wow Mike, you are a very good adoptive Daddy! ;) Those crotons are looking very nice. The Leopardia has yet to color up but mine took awhile too.

Here is the Yellow (White?) Bravo you gave me. Definitely is alot slower than the colored up version. I positioned it to get morning sun and then would be shaded from midday onwards. :cool:

Attachments

• Yellow (White) Bravo2.jpg
    Yellow (White) Bravo2.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Yellow (White) Bravo.jpg
    Yellow (White) Bravo.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 100
WTF? (potentially Rosette or Strawberry?) - Ran into the Glocks at the Ramble at Fairchild. They stopped by the Moose Land on their way homeward. Of all the different crotons varieties I have in the ground, Judy spent more time looking at this one than any other. She really loved it and could not recollect seeing another like it. ;)

This may be Rosette or Strawberry ? :confused: It is undetermined at this point. Marie Nock has not yet in person put her croton eye on this plant. Between my plant (a generous gift from Bullwinkle - Mike) and his, many a Crotonhead have checked over this cultivar. So far the majority have ruled - "nice looking croton, no clue what it is". :cool:

Attachments

• WTF.jpg
    WTF.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 135
  • WTF2.jpg
    WTF2.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 131
I plan to bring a cutting of this plant this weekend to see if it can be positively indentified.Once the leaves mature they develop into a lovely pale yellow & green with deep pink outlines.

WTF? (potentially Rosette or Strawberry?) - Ran into the Glocks at the Ramble at Fairchild. They stopped by the Moose Land on their way homeward. Of all the different crotons varieties I have in the ground, Judy spent more time looking at this one than any other. She really loved it and could not recollect seeing another like it. ;)

This may be Rosette or Strawberry ? :confused: It is undetermined at this point. Marie Nock has not yet in person put her croton eye on this plant. Between my plant (a generous gift from Bullwinkle - Mike) and his, many a Crotonhead have checked over this cultivar. So far the majority have ruled - "nice looking croton, no clue what it is". :cool:

Mike - could you get around to posting a photo of yours? :confused: I believe the plant in your garden may be getting exposed to a bit more sun light. ... for comparison purposes. ;)

Thanks to this Forum, I got the opportunity to meet and befriend Mike (Bullwinkle). Due to his generosity, my collection has increased in number quite a bit. Here is a list of some other cultivars I got from Mike. :D

Pappey / Congo
Bravo
Cardinal
Mango
Mosiac
Noblissima / Zulu
Pinocchio
Satan
Sunny Star
Van Houti

I will post photos as they make it into the ground. Thanks again Mike! :)

Mike - It usually lasts 70 years, seeds once then dies. I'll probably be dead or in a wheel chair by the time it trunks. Look how long Jim Glock has had his. Under the Talipot is also planted, Pop's Yard, Inca, Daybreak, Duke of Windsor and Coccothinax montana, Coccothrinax scoparia and Cycas debaoensis.

Phil - you need to stop by some day. I was a palm freak like yourself before I got into crotons to accent my palms. :)

Duke 1.JPG
Duke 2.JPG

The above mentioned and one of my favorite's, Duke of Windsor. The origin of this cultivar reportedly is that it was a sport from Stoplight. While not uncommon, it sure is a beauty.

Wow Mike, you are a very good adoptive Daddy! ;) Those crotons are looking very nice. The Leopardia has yet to color up but mine took awhile too.

Here is the Yellow (White?) Bravo you gave me. Definitely is alot slower than the colored up version. I positioned it to get morning sun and then would be shaded from midday onwards. :cool:

Here is an update of the "Yellow (White) Bravo from Mike Woolery planted over 3 years ago. There have been a few croton eyes on this plant and the only ID I've gotten is that "its not White Bravo". Mike had this plant growing at his old house. Mike, did yours make the transition to the new garden? Got a picture?

This is a rather slow growing plant. Anyone have any IDeas ?

Bravo 1.JPG
Bravo 2.JPG

Not sure if this one made it??I will have a look around but a few things did not survive the move.This might have been of of them.It was certainly slow.

Not sure if this one made it??I will have a look around but a few things did not survive the move.This might have been of of them.It was certainly slow.

Mike - if it did not make or survive the move, I'll be more than happy to make an air layer in the Spring. They are slow to establish air layers, so you may want cuttings in the Spring as other option.

This is why it is so important to share crotons. You never know when something happens to yours and you can get it back because you shared. :cool:

Hey Moose..... I was curious if the Daisy Ortega is gitting the late afternoon lite under your utans. Also was curious about the light on your Jungle Queen...? Thanks for sharing... really nice.

Hey Moose..... I was curious if the Daisy Ortega is gitting the late afternoon lite under your utans. Also was curious about the light on your Jungle Queen...? Thanks for sharing... really nice.

Mark - the good news is that the Corypha utan has developed considerably since the inception of this thread. It must have received much of the benefits of the care given to the crotons. The down side is that the crotons are much shaded now. To the west of them is a carpoxylon macrosperma that is starting to trunk, so that is adding even more shade. The Ortegas Hybrid is getting much more green from all the shading, the Daisy Ortegas is also losing color. I trim about 6 leaves off the utan twice a year which is quite the undertaking. Looks like I am past due. Just a bit more sun exposure would be good for them.

Here is the Daisy Ortegas ...

DO 1.JPG
DO 2.JPG

Thanks for your reply Moose, planning on gitting some pics of my corypha...and will post it here..... after a substantial removal of dense upper canopy, it has really started to burst in in it's growing rate which makes me happy. Merry Christmas to all my fellow croton lovers...... Mark

Mark - the Jungle Queen can take a fair amount of sun from my experience. Not constant, some shading is good. I have noticed that the leaves generally do not diminish in size due to heavy sun exposure like many other crotons. This may be a condition from this one being in the ground so long. Its located in the SE corner of the garden, getting lots of sun exposure this time of the year. The days are shorter and the sun is much more gentle than during our summer season.

Jungle Queen 1.JPG
Jungle Queen 2.JPG

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE..... I HAVE GOT to get some crotons around my corypha....... will post end of that pproject soon... Daisy Ortega, wilma, elenor roosevelt, and of cour a mammey
20141220_151913.jpg

My goodness..I looks so big to me... like a child it hhas b een coodled a bit.....
?..........and I barly see my house. JEEEEEEZ..