Ti color talk

I have no Ti-plants in my garden. That being said, giving the plants sulfur I believe would help you retain, return or develope the coloring. An acid soil reaction is what you are looking for. Adding some peat moss and animal manure composts as well.

I would also refrain from giving these plants any supplemental nitrogen. Let rain water be its source of nitrogen. I use a 7-4-5 fertilizer for acid loving plants on my crotons. Crotons color up better with a soil Ph of 6.8 or less. Nitrogen tends to really green up plants.

By the way, the next door neighbor has some Ti-plants. The last time they saw any fertilizer, Jimmy Carter was the President. They stay pretty damn red. Just my suggestion. Perhaps a few test plants to try my theorey? :p

Ron, No problem for me not to give them supplemental nitrogen. Up here around the bay fertilizers sold can not contain nitrogen.

Angela, How much is your seasonal temp swing? I think that the temp drop here plays into the flowering. After 3 months here with temps 90+ highs and upper 70s to low 80s lows the plants respond to the cooler temps now here.

Ron, You may be on to something. I did hit them with Sulphate of Potash in early Aug. I had read that it would enhance the colors. Maybe this has something to do with most of my Tis flowering this year.

Attachments

• IMG_5390.jpg
    IMG_5390.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_5391.jpg
    IMG_5391.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_5393.jpg
    IMG_5393.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_5396.jpg
    IMG_5396.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_5398.jpg
    IMG_5398.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_5395.jpg
    IMG_5395.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 192
Angela - Not being a Ti-plant grower, I can only speculate. Potassium sulphate usual encourages better flowering results.

Ron, Many nice Ti plants with great colors to mix in with your Crotons. Add a few and I think you will be hooked.

Ron, No problem for me not to give them supplemental nitrogen. Up here around the bay fertilizers sold can not contain nitrogen.

I should have said no phosphorus are in the fertilizers. My Ti plants get 10-0-10 and this Aug I hit them with Sulphate of Potash.

Ron, The dark leaf Ti's make great background color for Crotons. Here is Mango with a Black Magic Ti. Really makes for a great contrast and pops the Mangos color even more.

Attachments

• IMG_5420.jpg
    IMG_5420.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_5418.jpg
    IMG_5418.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 185
Scott Land compared to Moose Land is like France compared to Luxenbourg size-wise. I am rapidly running out of palm room, the crotons get squeezed in as accent plants. There really would not be any room for a Ti-plant collection. :(

Here's an update on a seedling...

Attachments

• IMGP9814.jpg
    IMGP9814.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMGP9816.jpg
    IMGP9816.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMGP9817.jpg
    IMGP9817.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 204
I believe that Sulphate of Potash helps kick Ti plants into flowering as well as better coloring. After giving the plants a feeding of Sulphate of Potash in Aug I have noticed increased flowering this season. Everyday more flowers are noticed, leaving only a very few plants not showing flowering at this time.

Update It looks that giving the Ti plants a feeding of Sulphate of Potash is returning the lost colors. Here are photos taken today of the Marie and Jackie showing great colors returning on the new leaves now.

Attachments

• IMG_7494.jpg
    IMG_7494.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_7495.jpg
    IMG_7495.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_7496.jpg
    IMG_7496.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 201
John Cummins is back with lots of orange and lots more pink on Kiwi. Looks like Sulfate of Potash is key to great color here.

Attachments

• IMG_7500.jpg
    IMG_7500.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_7504.jpg
    IMG_7504.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 206
Yes, that Kiwi is looking awesome now. I'll have to do some reading on Sulfate of Potash.

Scott, have you ever checked your pH? If so, you should check it after using the S of P. From what I hear about Florida, your soil conditions are unique in your pH and buffering concerns.

Dean, I read that S of P will bring out the colors in Ti plants. S of P will not add salts to the soil like the reg fertlizers do. I am giving it a try on Crotons this year also.

Marie pushing new growth pretty fast with lots of color, after a color rest for a few years.

Attachments

• IMG_7541.jpg
    IMG_7541.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 201