Series#1...Mr. Henry Coppinger

Jeff Searle

26/08/08
I recently started making up a list of croton varieties that some of the old, legendary hybridizers came up with.I will be adding other hybridizers in this series in the near future.I tried to research to the best of my ability, and feel free to add more names if you see something that was left off.The first, and maybe the best ever was, Mr. Henry Coppinger.

His plants were,

Antilla
Catherine Gephart
Columbiana
Eleanor Roosevelt
Franklin Roosevelt
Gloriosa
Golden Glow
Johanna Coppinger
Madam Butterfly
Major Dade
Marie Dressler
Miami Beauty
Monarch
America
Radiance
Victory
Frank Brown
Nocatee
Lord Bellhaven
Tiger Eye
Moth
Fishbone
Dorthy Reasoner

next up...Series #2...Mr. Raplh Davis

Jeff... I would love to accommodate you but I can't think of any names. I'll ask my cousin if he has a list...Don't you have a couple of unnamed ones. Chris

Yes, in answer to your question. My cousin came up with just one other...Mary Pickford...a small yellow leaf. I'm sure there are more just from all the cultivars there were.

Yes, in answer to your question. My cousin came up with just one other...Mary Pickford...a small yellow leaf. I'm sure there are more just from all the cultivars there were.

Chris,
I never heard of this one, Mary Pickford. Do you remember any history behind this croton's name? Is there any plants around that your aware of?

Marie,

It's good to hear that it's still around. But it sounds like it's highly endangered of being lost. Hopefully more of it can be propagated into next year.

Chris,
What about his yellow/green hybrid with the "not to be mentioned in polite company" name?

Jeff.. Mary Pickford was a hollywood actress in the '20s. All I know about that. Yeah Marie there is that big geen yellow and another very large leaf that I think you two already have. And I recently acquired a cutting of Helen Coppinger that is doing very well.

I have started this new section in my yard now and extreamly dedicated to collecting every know Henry Coppinger plant possible. It will also share the same space with as many plants from Ralph Davis had. This could eventually take some serious space up, but I think I can do it. I hope I can find one of these Helen Coppinger plants soon to add.

One of my current favorites is a Coppinger Hybrid that became a Blotched Coppinger Hybrid. I topped it and the blotched form continued from the base.

DSC_0098.jpg

Marie, should Blotched Coppinger's Hybrid be placed in the wiki?

If it doesn't get its own listing, it could at least go in as the blotched form under the Coppinger Hybrid. I think other blotched forms have a separate listing.

Ray has said this plant is Yellow Sybil Griffin.Do we have any consensus on this.It sure looks like what yellow Sybil Griffin would look like??

Having the benefit of observing both C&B and a Sybil Griffin, to my "eye", I simply don't see a Yellow Sybil Griffin. C&B can be a finicky cultivar that at times drops its leaves for no apparent reason. Sybil Griffin is a prolific grower. Sybil also has a much larger & elongated semi oak shaped leaves compared to C&B's leaves. The "eye" is subjective, so further investigation is warranted.

According to Dr. Frank B. Brown's original croton book (page 131), Sybil Griffin originated from Al Cutler. The nephew of Mr. Henry Coppinger (Chris) is the source of C&B which he has been cultivating for years. I am not stating that a Yellow Sybil Griffin is not in existence, just very unsure that C&B is the yellow form of Sybil.

Onward through the fog ... :confused:

Subject 1--------------Subject2. Sorry about sun on S G. 3 no sun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 159
Da Nile is a river in Africa, LOL :D

Acquired this croton tagged as Hybrid 4. The monster leaves were what got my attention. On one of Chris Mayhew's visits to the Moose Land, he spotted this cultivar exclaiming "where did you get that"? Cutting the story short, according to Chris - this is a Henry Coppinger creation. His aunt (Henry's wife) relayed to Chris many moons ago that this was Henry's favorite. So there you have it, the widow of Henry Coppinger named it Henry's Favorite. Chris said no other name for it from the family.

Attachments

• Henry's Favorite 1.JPG
    Henry's Favorite 1.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Henry's Favorite 2.JPG
    Henry's Favorite 2.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Henry's Favorite 3.JPG
    Henry's Favorite 3.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Henry's Favorite 4.JPG
    Henry's Favorite 4.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 178
I'm very honored to own a Henry's Favorite. It has a leaf shape like no other croton! It's nice to put a name on the hybrid now and can call it Victory.

And as far as the yellow and green called C&B, just because it has a leaf shape like Sybil Griffin, that in itself no way can be traced back to a yellow form of SG.

Mr. Searle…what an interesting subject for a thread.

As you know I live in Costa Rica and the majority of Crotons I encounter in my “in-country wanderings” belong in what I call “old favorites or traditional Crotons” category.

Furthermore...as the FORUM members contribute information, comments and fotos to the thread perhaps it can become an additional subject/category of interest in the WIKI? See the MOOSE comment in his post #5...worth considering :confused:.

I will be following your subject posts with great interest and, I'm sure, enjoyment...thanks for posting :D.

Robert,

I've been to Costa Rica several times in the past, so the next time I can come down there, I will definitely let you know in advance and try to meet up so you can show me your beautiful collection.

The following are not marked as Coppinger's hybrids in the wiki. I'd like to label them as such if folks agree that they are all Coppinger's hybrids:

Helen Coppinger
Nocatee (labeled as Halgrim)
Tugboat Annie
Marie Dressler
Miami Beauty
Tiger Eye
Madam Butterfly
The Moth
Columbiana
Fishbone
Louis Dupuy

Chris, Jeff, Ron, or anyone else that might know?

The following are not marked as Coppinger's hybrids in the wiki. I'd like to label them as such if folks agree that they are all Coppinger's hybrids:

Helen Coppinger
Nocatee (labeled as Halgrim)
Tugboat Annie
Marie Dressler
Miami Beauty
Tiger Eye
Madam Butterfly
The Moth
Columbiana
Fishbone
Louis Dupuy

Chris, Jeff, Ron, or anyone else that might know?

Ana, Madam Butterfly, Tugboat Annie = Marie Dressler, and Columbiana are validated as Coppinger hybrids in Frank Brown's 1960 book.

This is what the Moose Land has as Golden Glow

Attachments

• Golden Glow 3.JPG
    Golden Glow 3.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Golden Glow 2.JPG
    Golden Glow 2.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Golden Glow 1.JPG
    Golden Glow 1.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 158
A Della McGee before sunrise.