I Dunno, Do You?

palmisland

28/03/08
I picked his up today and of course, I'm confused on a name. The largest leaves are over 14".:confused:

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 85
Very nice,I have no idea??South Florida is a great place to find new crotons.I went to my sisters house two weeks ago and right in her front swale was an unknown croton.She has no idea where she bought it probably Lowe's :) I will post some pics once my cutting recovers a bit.It looks like a pink Dreer #7

Randy - if you recall, Chris and I ran into you at Jeff's Nursery the second weekend of September (Rob showed up later), and we were checking out the "potential" Dreer #7 in the mist house.

Here is Jeff's photos I hijacked from his thread. Looking at these photos I can say without hesitation that comparing to your "I Dunno" plant it is defintely, probably, has the possibility and could be a match maybe. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Dreer #7 (7).jpg
    Dreer #7 (7).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 169
  • Dreer #7 (6).jpg
    Dreer #7 (6).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Dreer #7 (5).jpg
    Dreer #7 (5).jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 159
  • Dreer #7 (4).jpg
    Dreer #7 (4).jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Dreer #7 (3).jpg
    Dreer #7 (3).jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Dreer #7 (2).jpg
    Dreer #7 (2).jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Dreer #7 (1).jpg
    Dreer #7 (1).jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 166
Ron,

I disagree. Randy's plant has a dark black coloring in the interior of the leaf, while Dreer #7 is green. It shows no black. Randy, let us know when the new leaves appear, and see if they come out a light green. My plants do, and you can also see it in the pic. in the croton book. Whatever it turns out to be, I really like it.

"Randy - if you recall, Chris and I ran into you at Jeff's Nursery the second weekend of September (Rob showed up later), and we were checking out the "potential" Dreer #7 in the mist house.

Here is Jeff's photos I hijacked from his thread. Looking at these photos I can say without hesitation that comparing to your "I Dunno" plant it is defintely, probably, has the possibility and could be a match maybe."

If you mean the bright pink one, it's not the same. For some reason the intensity of the color in my photos dims a bit when downloaded on this site, but it's not the same as Jeff's.

As soon as a leaf opens, I'll post a pic. The oldest leaves are almost solid black.

"Randy - if you recall, Chris and I ran into you at Jeff's Nursery the second weekend of September (Rob showed up later), and we were checking out the "potential" Dreer #7 in the mist house.

Here is Jeff's photos I hijacked from his thread. Looking at these photos I can say without hesitation that comparing to your "I Dunno" plant it is defintely, probably, has the possibility and could be a match maybe."

If you mean the bright pink one, it's not the same. For some reason the intensity of the color in my photos dims a bit when downloaded on this site, but it's not the same as Jeff's.

As soon as a leaf opens, I'll post a pic. The oldest leaves are almost solid black.

Randy - how about an updated photo for this thread ? :eek: I look forward to seeing this beauty on Saturday! :cool:

Randy's plant has undulated (wavy) edges like the Dreer #7 in the book. Johnny Shelton says the photo ID in the book is incorrect. Jeff's plant does not have the undulated edges. I have Randy's plant in my own garden labeled as an unknown.

I saw what looked like Randy's plant at Marie's place this afternoon. She got it as a "Dreer Hybrid" from either Tim Anderson or John Bender, I can't recall which gentleman. :confused:

015.jpg016.jpg018.jpgRandy, i have the same plants. one in the shade and one is in the sun. The one in the shade has very big leaves and i have another one in the sun that has red leaves.I dont think its Dreer number 7.