Fall Croton Meeting and Tour

The first two are the same and.....you'll just have to guess.

The next one is a.......I'm not telling, you'll have to come on Nov. 19th.

Attachments

• P9250115.jpg
    P9250115.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 156
  • P9250116.jpg
    P9250116.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 136
  • P9250117.jpg
    P9250117.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 148
First one is Pitcarin.

The next one is a very pretty, unknown that was once from the Ralph Davis collection.

Attachments

• P9250118.jpg
    P9250118.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 139
  • P9250119.jpg
    P9250119.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 137
Definately a "FOR SALE" corner would be cool.
What about a Chinese auction?

Here's how it works.
The croton sets on the table with the owner's name and the name of the croton.
A sheet of paper sets in front of it with what the owner thinks should be the beginning written down bid. The interested parties bid more by writing down their bids, out bidding the party before them, and so on. At a specific time, the bidding stops. Everyone wins without an auctioneer. Could be fun.

Definately a "FOR SALE" corner would be cool.
What about a Chinese auction?

Here's how it works.
The croton sets on the table with the owner's name and the name of the croton.
A sheet of paper sets in front of it with what the owner thinks should be the beginning written down bid. The interested parties bid more by writing down their bids, out bidding the party before them, and so on. At a specific time, the bidding stops. Everyone wins without an auctioneer. Could be fun.

Rick,

Just a couple of days ago, Ryan brought up the same idea. At the Rare Event down at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens, they did the same thing with many plants and items. I'm all in favor if others want to participate too.

Rick,

That is called a "Silent Auction". A Chinese auction or raffle is where you set the croton on the table with a cup in front of it. People buy tickets and place them in the cup. The more tickets you buy, the greater the chance that your ticket will be pulled. This works great for a fundraiser event but your silent auction sounds better for this type of event.

To add more information and excitement, you should have an auctioneer go to every plant in the silent auction and give a short spiel on it and when he is finished telling about all the auction plants, give a few more minutes for new bidders to sign on.

Rick,

That is called a "Silent Auction". A Chinese auction or raffle is where you set the croton on the table with a cup in front of it. People buy tickets and place them in the cup. The more tickets you buy, the greater the chance that your ticket will be pulled. This works great for a fundraiser event but your silent auction sounds better for this type of event.

To add more information and excitement, you should have an auctioneer go to every plant in the silent auction and give a short spiel on it and when he is finished telling about all the auction plants, give a few more minutes for new bidders to sign on.

.....and I know just the auctioneer.

Sounds great to me

Rick,

Just a couple of days ago, Ryan brought up the same idea. At the Rare Event down at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens, they did the same thing with many plants and items. I'm all in favor if others want to participate too.

Here's a couple of more...

On the left, Baron le Compte

On the right, Coral Shower

Hope sombody comes to the garden tour...anybody? LOL!

Attachments

• P9250131.jpg
    P9250131.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 137
  • P9250132.jpg
    P9250132.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 163
Ricky,

It's a shame we might not be able to taste your fabulous pork once again. I guess the meeting could be cancelled due to the lack of responses which has been 0.

Well, if that's the case, why don't you and Andrea come here on the 19th. I gather a bunch of friends, Randy lives right around the corner, Moose will go the distance for a Croton and pulled pork sammy. Hell, twist my arm and we'll have a barbecue!

Wow, some quick responses! Yes...of course were still on. I was just checking to see if anyone was following the thread. But I do need to know a "rough" head count, especially if your bringing someone. I talked to a nice couple at my sale today from Cooper City, and they are looking forward to coming. Newbies!

Dean...I will check my email, but I do receive them.

Jeff,

What time will this shin dig start? We'll be driving over on Sat am. Also, what was the name of that closest hotel? We stayed there with Jeff last time and it was a nice place.

Jeff,

What time will this shin dig start? We'll be driving over on Sat am. Also, what was the name of that closest hotel? We stayed there with Jeff last time and it was a nice place.

Hi Bren,

Anytime after 10:30am and will continue through the day until??? PARTY!!! The hotel is the Hampton Inn and is located at Sheridan St. and I-75, which is just 5 minutes from the nursery.

The Moose + two guests are coming !:D I will probably be adding some more potential crotonhead guests as the time draws nearer.

What is the head count Jeff? Are you getting PM's and E-mailed RSVP's? :confused:

I remember seeing a post on the phone numbers to call to RSVP, info on food and drinks to bring and the deadline for RSVPs. I can't find it and it''s something I'd like to share with some croton friends. Jeff, would you mind repeating it on this thread? Thanks.

I remember seeing a post on the phone numbers to call to RSVP, info on food and drinks to bring and the deadline for RSVPs. I can't find it and it''s something I'd like to share with some croton friends. Jeff, would you mind repeating it on this thread? Thanks.

Hi Marie and others,

The garden meeting will be held on November 19th.

Place....Andrea and Jeff Searle
18200 SW 52 Lane
Southwest Ranches Fl. 33331

Time....10:30 am til ???

Jeff's cell.....954-658-4317
Andrea's cell.....954-410-3217

This is not a society event, therefore, if you are coming and would like to enjoy having food and drinks, then we ask if everyone could please help in some way by bringing a dish of food, or bottle water / sodas.

Crotons will still be welcomed if you wish to bring. Sell them, trade them, whatever. Still openned for other ideas. Maybe a silent auction of some kind.

As of today, were at close to 25 people already, including Andrea and myself.

Reconfirming from way earlier - probably have 2-3 ride along in the grey whale.

Great Phil! I will put you down for 3.

I keep getting asked if so and so are coming, and my response is...I don't know. SO..some are wondering if Carol G, Mike, Jacki and Marie, Keith, Jesse, Lee, and Connie just to name a few. If you see some of these people, ask them if their coming. Invite a friend. I would love to see the biggest group ever. And maybe, come up with some ideas for getting a Croton Society going again.

And.....please bring a dish and or drinks. It would be greatly appreciated.

I am sure that Jackie and Marie will definitely be there. ;)

Great Phil! I will put you down for 3.

I keep getting asked if so and so are coming, and my response is...I don't know. SO..some are wondering if Carol G, Mike, Jacki and Marie, Keith, Jesse, Lee, and Connie just to name a few. If you see some of these people, ask them if their coming. Invite a friend. I would love to see the biggest group ever. And maybe, come up with some ideas for getting a Croton Society going again.