A Parade of Unknowns

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
I was given a bunch of cuttings awhile back from someone who did not know what they were. :) They have grown out somewhat and I am anxious as to what they may be. :eek: I understand that they are a bit small but curious if anyone may have any idea what they may be? :confused:

Unknown #1

Attachments

• Unknown 1.jpg
    Unknown 1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 201
Appears to be another Van Buren, also in need of sun. Van Buren is one of those varieties that goes from lots of pink to lots of yellow/green, depending on the light characteristics. It's possible that this is a Davis #7, but the leaf looks too narrow.

That is Van Buren in need of sun.

Ricky - Unknown #1 gets morning sun then gets good shading the rest of the day. This was in a 4 inch shallow container, stepped up into a one gallon. I am looking to push root development before the cold winds blow - that is why I have it in a shaded aspect. :)

Your ID was my first opinion as well at this stage. :eek:

Appears to be another Van Buren, also in need of sun. Van Buren is one of those varieties that goes from lots of pink to lots of yellow/green, depending on the light characteristics. It's possible that this is a Davis #7, but the leaf looks too narrow.

Ricky - I have not seen any blush of color on Unknown #2 as of yet. It is positioned right next to Unknown #1 getting the same growing and lighting conditions. Is there such a thing as a Yellow Van Buren ? :confused:

Time will hopefully tell. :eek:

First pic looks like van Buren,#6 maybe veitchii,the rest are kinda small,maybe we will have a better idea after they flush some more leaves.

Unknown # 16 :cool:

This one looks like it could be a Freckles ? :confused:

It has performed growth-wise very well for me and has been stepped up into a three gallon container. It is my understanding that Freckles is reportedly on the slow side, but this plant's leaves appear much larger than my Pinocchio. ;)

Attachments

• Unknown 16 (Freckles).jpg
    Unknown 16 (Freckles).jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Unknown 16A (Freckles).jpg
    Unknown 16A (Freckles).jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 211
Jeff - I know I have no other choice but to grow them on. Its like Forest Gump experience, these cuttings are like ... "a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get". Just excited as to what they may develope into. :eek:

Last one: Unknown #23 ? :confused:

Yea, my opinion is to grow them on. Then come back and hit us hard w/ pictures! I'm sure there will be a few nice additions to the Mooseland.

Jeff

Attachments

• Unknown 23.jpg
    Unknown 23.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 249
I was given a bunch of cuttings awhile back from someone who did not know what they were. :) They have grown out somewhat and I am anxious as to what they may be. :eek: I understand that they are a bit small but curious if anyone may have any idea what they may be? :confused:

Unknown #1

First two photos are from today. Last photo is a repost of the original on 10/16/2011.

Attachments

• Unknown #1 O.jpg
    Unknown #1 O.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 557
  • Unknown #1.jpg
    Unknown #1.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Unknown #1 B.jpg
    Unknown #1 B.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 283
I do think that freckles is what I have?

Attachments

• freckles.jpg
    freckles.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 270
  • the real freckles.jpg
    the real freckles.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 279